New ITG

signfan

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

App is dead. But, with ???'s about off-line availability of the new WEB based map I'll be keeping my app installed.

Which brings up a question.

Since RM(risk management) was apparently a roadblock to finding companies to work with the OFSC on a new ITG, are they as protected as they hoped if a bunch of people still refer to the app for directions and location finding? 

The app at least has the feature to find where you are just by clicking the compass icon.... I will definitely be keeping the app as I find it much more useful than the new ofsc  interactive map that you can't even plan your own ride route. 

Sorry about the rant but I'm not impressed at all of the new interactive map. 

22 hours ago, Pstn head said:

The app at least has the feature to find where you are just by clicking the compass icon.... I will definitely be keeping the app as I find it much more useful than the new ofsc  interactive map that you can't even plan your own ride route. 

Sorry about the rant but I'm not impressed at all of the new interactive map. 

I couldnt agree more! I absolutely HATE this version of ITG. IMO its worse! You cant click on the section of trail you want and get the total amount of kms your route you picked has etc. And yes no find where you are button like on the app that has it which i find handy. NOT impressed with it so far. I hope they add this stuff back to it if they expect it to be successful. 

14 hours ago, Old Sledder said:

Is there a new app coming?

No new app nor any updates to the current app. I was told that by OFSC rep and was told I can delete said app. I for one am NOT deleting it as I find it more useful than that disgrace they have up so far. 

21 hours ago, gobills said:

So as a sledding group can we not email the ofsc and get everyone we know to email complaints about the new ITG??

They and their friends have shown a magnificent disregard for anything other than rewarding themselves including this new map.....in my opinion, no improvements at all....a couple of giant steps backwards....someone's hands are in each other's pockets on this one.

I agree.  Totally dislike that you can't modify the route you make.  Who's to say that I want to take the Shortest route ?  Rarely the case.

Yes it's quick to measure distance from point A to point B, but still useless if you don't want to take that particular trail.

It's a new program and the OFSC has stated it's a work in progress. I see various statements on Facebook asking for feedback and suggestions (from the  District 6 governor as an example). It's too early to form a final assessment.

For those who avoid Facebook, you can send questions about issues to marketing@ofsc.on.ca

12 hours ago, SuperG said:

I couldnt agree more! I absolutely HATE this version of ITG. IMO its worse! You cant click on the section of trail you want and get the total amount of kms your route you picked has etc. And yes no find where you are button like on the app that has it which i find handy. NOT impressed with it so far. I hope they add this stuff back to it if they expect it to be successful. 

No new app nor any updates to the current app. I was told that by OFSC rep and was told I can delete said app. I for one am NOT deleting it as I find it more useful than that disgrace they have up so far. 

I noticed that as well.  You can click on the trail and it gives you a km but you can't plan a whole route that way

Not impressed with it so far for reasons listed by others. I cant seem to get the clubhouse function to work (JUST FIGURED OUT THAT THE ICON IN THE TOP RIGHT THAT GOS BLUE LIKE A CLUBHOUSE SIGN WHEN YOU CLICK ON IT IS NOT FOR CLUBHOUSE BUT FOR YOUR "HOMEVIEW" WHATEVER THAT IS). Also surprised that Halfway Haven doesn't seem to show . Its a critical stop on the trail south of Wawa no matter which direction you are going.

Also noticed that small villages like Moonbeam for example are apparently too small in some ones' mind to warrant listing the name of it on the map even when you drill down. Tiveotdale  near Palmerston doesn't show by name but has a trail coming almost into it. This is a very busy sled spot for fuel/food and for parking. I think it warrants being listed on the map.

I understand this might be the first attempt at an "improved ITC" but in my personal view there was very little if any input into its formulation by seasoned sledders' who have great knowledge of what should be on the map. Looks like a low bid job to me.

From Facebook.

junk.jpg

been sledding for years without that stupid thing ,never got lost and always made it home and sledded all over ontario 

5 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

been sledding for years without that stupid thing ,never got lost and always made it home and sledded all over ontario 

It's that simple. Why I have a tank bag with paper maps always on me. And traversing the province plenty of times over on trails, I seem to have it burnt into my mind. 

I find Facebook and club sites much  better for up to date conditions as well.

I don't rely on an online app when out on the trail. I do however use the ITG for trip planning.

• Looking for open / closed trails,
  • being able to easily plan a trip that takes me from one district to another without having multiple large paper maps in front of me
  • Checking for places to get gas and food along the way
  • Knowing the distance of one route versus another and so much more.

On the sled I originally started using a GPS for safety. Get out on the ice in Georgian Bay and suddenly a snow squall comes in. You can't tell which way is back since no matter the direction all you see is white. Follow the track line on the GPS back the way you came.

Last year we came across quite a few re-routes that were very poorly signed. The paper maps didn't show these, some very significant reroutes and at least with the GPS you could see where you were and the direction you were heading.

3 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

..never got lost ..

MM, never sledded with you, but If we ever cross path's I'm going to ask your buddies how this ranks on the b.s. meter LOL . Kidding, of course. Really enjoyed your posts over the years. 

Also agree the paper guides give the best macro assistance. 

IAG 2.0 is good for close-ups.  Look at Sturgeon Falls - it truly doesn't have an OFSC trail to the shore of Lake Nipissing. But the IAG 2.0 clearly shows a road down to the lake. That will be helpful.

The white instructions on left of screen take up 1/4 of the page in Chrome.  Might be a way to toggle it off, but cursory glance thru this thread and other comments over the past few days indicates it's an issue. Cumulative km panning also appears to be an issue.

This is a micro tool (for now). If 1/4 of the screen is white; towns and POI that are important to sledders aren't on it, tough to plan a multi day trip with it. 

Work in progress. Definitely use the Google overlay, 'tho. Port Loring isn't even on the white Mapgears Wintermap (I tried to see distance from Tornado's resort to Port Loring. Caution: search Tornado and get zilch. Add Tornado Resort and get the correct Port Loring pindrop). 

7 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Also surprised that Halfway Haven doesn't seem to show .

As mentioned above, it's not an intuitive search like 'google'. 

You need to type in Halfway Haven Lodge  to view it.

(it might've been added to the system since your post.. who knows . Just sayin' that it's looking for full names)

Sportman's (nothing useful)

Sportsman's Inn (gets you to the correct Killarney property) - rumoured to be open this winter? I'll call and find out closer to the season. Boated thru, that was the local chatter)

Sportsman's Lodge (Nothing useful)

Sportsman's Lodge Sudbury (gets you to the correct lodge in the woods)

The old Interactive Guide also required this level of precision, to my knowledge.

9 minutes ago, Canuck said:

As mentioned above, it's not an intuitive search like 'google'. 

You need to type in Halfway Haven Lodge  to view it.

(it might've been added to the system since your post.. who knows . Just sayin' that it's looking for full names)

Sportman's (nothing useful)

Sportsman's Inn (gets you to the correct Killarney property) - rumoured to be open this winter? I'll call and find out closer to the season. Boated thru, that was the local chatter)

Sportsman's Lodge (Nothing useful)

Sportsman's Lodge Sudbury (gets you to the correct lodge in the woods)

The old Interactive Guide also required this level of precision, to my knowledge.

I'm using a work computer that runs on Internet Explorer. There is no place shown to type anything in that  I can find.

12 hours ago, Blake G said:

It's a new program and the OFSC has stated it's a work in progress. I see various statements on Facebook asking for feedback and suggestions (from the  District 6 governor as an example). It's too early to form a final assessment.

I wish I could share your enthusiasm - however having followed the travails and troubles of the New Brunswick map for 3 years - same map company - the functionality of the old map won't ever be in place and that white space on the left will continue to be there. As for sending an email to marketing - that's just good old supertrax magazine.

4 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

The ITG comes in really handy for showing which trails are open and which trails are closed. At least this one will (hopefully) do that. Made all the difference to me in terms of continuing sledding at all a few year's ago as going from one club's website to another (facebook now I guess) was getting pretty lame.

As per Canuck's observations regards searching - looks like revrnd's accomodation guide will be more useful that ever - there are motels and resorts on the map that closed or burned down years ago, some don't appear at all and other mainstays such as the McIntosh Inn in Morrisburg ( big trail supporter owns it) is listed as a washroom stop. Spelling mistakes are rampant - even on the home map and legend.

(hope we cleared up that red means trail closed after the curffuffle in a post here last season)

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I don't rely on an online app when out on the trail. I do however use the ITG for trip planning.

• Looking for open / closed trails,
  • being able to easily plan a trip that takes me from one district to another without having multiple large paper maps in front of me
  • Checking for places to get gas and food along the way
  • Knowing the distance of one route versus another and so much more.

On the sled I originally started using a GPS for safety. Get out on the ice in Georgian Bay and suddenly a snow squall comes in. You can't tell which way is back since no matter the direction all you see is white. Follow the track line on the GPS back the way you came.

Last year we came across quite a few re-routes that were very poorly signed. The paper maps didn't show these, some very significant reroutes and at least with the GPS you could see where you were and the direction you were heading.

Here here! For people on this board working the show this weekend watch how noob's checking out the sport for the first time light up when you start explaining the ITG. Typical conversations I've had with guests at the booth:

Visitor: " So how do I know what trails to take? How do I know what trail is open for me to use"

Me: "Well the OFSC provides an app for your smart phone. It's cheap and it shows the trail status, POI's, routes for the most popular Snow Tours AND it can locate you on the map using your phone's GPS."

Visitor: "Really?! That's great. Does it just work just on my phone?"

Me: "Nope, it's on your PC too, access it from ofsc.on.ca. You can plan your trips, find parking places, restaurants, fuel, the whole thing."

Visitor:"Wow, that's great, I was worried about getting out there and trying to read these paper maps. This app and the maps should make it alot more fun".

So yeah alot of us can navigate the trails and know the spots to hit and the ones to miss, but to attract noob's there's gotta be an easy to use, reliable and comprehensive digital assistant. 

I'm still reserving judgement on this "upgrade" effort but so far, for a project that seems to have been in the works for months I'm somewhat disappointed.

I'm curious as to money spent so far and if the providers of the guide solution in Quebec were approached. 

Just have good riding buddies that know the trails like the back of their hands......great company and will not get lost, might even see a few new things too :cheers:

Besides, getting lost just means you found new places.....as long as it is not at the end of a long day, you are tired, cold & wet or running out of gas....

• 2 weeks later...

HELP ME PLEASE!   Iv'e changed over to Chrome from Internet Explorer and am trying to access the ITG. The screen opens to the map covered over by the "Use Trails at own risk" page. My problem is that I can't get far enough down that page past the "by clicking the I agree...."  to be able to get to the spot I need to click on to get rid of the page and get to the map. This is a 15" laptop. I got rid of the bookmark bar at the top of the page but it still isn't enough. How the H_ll do I move that page up enough to be able to click the "I agree" button? Thanks in advance for any help.

Archived