Windshields.... High or low?

Wimpy

Hey everyone, 

I picked up a NOS 2014 XF7000 Ltd a few weeks back.  I'm planning on doing quite a bit of riding this winter, and was wondering about the stock windshield (or lack there of) that came with it.  I am hoping those who have experience with both high and low could help me out before my sticker arrives lol.  I have only used med/high windshields, and could only imagine it might get chilly on the hands/upper body area with the low one.  I was also contemplating the hand guards if I keep the low one....

Any advice appreciated!

Cheers, 

Wimpy

sled.JPG

On my 800 axys I had the small windshield and handguards for one ride.  Switched it to a mid windshield with the handguards and it made a huge difference.  I'm thinking of going to a large this year.  On the really cold days I put the muffs on.

I have a 2015 XF7000 LXR.  I have the highest windshield that they made at the time for the Yama-Cat.  I think it is 17" tall  I am 6' 2" so I need some protection.  Have a good look at the pictures.  Also, don't put the pass on the windshield or you will break it for sure.  Check out the added idlers and the reliable rear wheels and axle.  If you want more info on adding engine heaters so it starts up north or GPS mounting, etc., I have done it all.  I also used to be in the Conestoga club.

BP

IMG_4498.thumb.JPG.0c8014c456af0dc461b5010fdfb67a41.JPGIMG_4499.thumb.JPG.b6358df7967ad531ab1f3bc153816d6c.JPGIMG_4501.thumb.JPG.ce2ed70dcff8aa7b62e07d26f368c882.JPGIMG_4549.thumb.JPG.144378cd58155a6c7796fca9a0e3b89c.JPGIMG_4321.thumb.JPG.2b79056064fe5d75fc57ff75e440fcdc.JPGIMG_4371.thumb.JPG.dedcc0b81e9bdafde0b4191c6bed186a.JPGIMG_4383.thumb.JPG.c97a78efdf76ea6cb062ceb760a87337.JPG

Thanks gobills.  Royal has a smoked medium which is 17.5" - think that might be the route to go.  The large is 19".

Thanks BP.  I will message you about the mods for sure, looks great!!  I put Lake Conestoga down this year as that seems to be the only local club I have hit consistently for the last 3 years.  Love the clubhouse! 

Along with a higher windshield, some folks add wind deflectors to reduce rider chill on that chassis.

20161207_130628 front deflectors.jpg

20160330_104903 deflectors.jpg

I have the LXR windshield with the mirrors on mine. I'm 6'2" still get some wind on my neck, but waaaay better than the stock one. 

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

Along with a higher windshield, some folks add wind deflectors to reduce rider chill on that chassis.

20161207_130628 front deflectors.jpg

20160330_104903 deflectors.jpg

Or those deflectors aftermarket or from the Arctic Cat website?

NM...found them!

I assume they're Arctic Cat items. Arnie's Cat house recommended them, so I agreed to have them added when they sold me the sled in 2014.

Thanks Micar and Blake!  

20150117_115856.thumb.jpg.516c531610a92ad8059e948cfb213647.jpg

This med cobra windshield from royal worked great

Tall windshields are nice, just might not fit thru the Tunnel on the D trail if snow levels are high. :-( 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Tall windshields are nice, just might not fit thru the Tunnel on the D trail if snow levels are high. :-( 

I've experienced this problem with the ultrahigh windshield on my Touring Z1 Turbo.

The solution is a minor detour that takes about three minutes and requires some running along the shoulder of Greer Road and Stephenson Road 8 West.

No automatic alt text available.

port sydney detour.jpg

You may want to check out the windshield from a CrossTrek.  It will have the mounting holes for the mirrors as well.  I could not use those mirrors in my Toy Carrier trailer.

BP

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

I've experienced this problem with the ultrahigh windshield on my Touring Z1 Turbo.

The solution is a minor detour that takes about three minutes and requires some running along the shoulder of Greer Road and Stephenson Road 8 West.

No automatic alt text available.

port sydney detour.jpg

Thanks Blake I will keep that in Mind.

We have the 2015 Cat ZR7000's and the standard windshields were swapped out for the Cat mid sized windshields before delivery. That first season we found that the wind also curled around the side panels of the engine covers and made for cold thighs. Cat has wind deflectors that were I believe about $35 a set that fasten vertically to the rear end of the side panels. They only curl about an inch or just a bit more from the side panel but make a huge difference.

Thanks all, I will check them out.

Archived