Jump to content
Blake G

Online trail permits now available

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Just for the record,

  1. Yes you can put "Pending" in the VIN and Licence fields in your profile and the system will process your order. This is illegal however as the permit has to be registered to a specific sled.
  2. Yes you can use your old VIN/Licence number to purchase this years permit. Could be illegal as you might not be the current registered owner if you have sold or traded the sled. Only the registered owner can complete the application form and accept the terms and conditions and Limitation of Liability.
  3. No you can not go back into your profile and add/amend the VIN/Licence to an existing sled in your profile. You have to add a new sled but then the permit stays attached to the existing sled in the profile. OFSC will not change it. Your District/Club can not change it. If OFSC changes it, they are condoning an illegal practice.
  4. If you use your old VIN/Licence number to purchase a permit, you must then go through the Transfer/Replacement process by completing the required form and paying the fee ($15.00)

To the best of my knowledge the permit system is an OFSC system not an MTO system. So unless OFSC has provided OPP with access to our system there is no practical way to check a permit on-trail. So in reality there is very little risk or consequence to doing 1 or 2 above.To me the biggest risk is if something should happen, like being involved in a serious accident. Police will check the permit and I have no idea what happens if the investigation shows the permit is not properly assigned to the sled. Would it not be similar to driving your car with someone else's plate on it? I am sure some litigation lawyer would have a field day with that and what would your insurance say about an improperly permitted sled.

 

Thanks for the helpful explanation and insightful comments, Big Pete. 

 

Given how common it is for new sled deliveries to come after the OFSC's October early-bird discount permit pricing, it seems absolutely ridiculous to me that OFSC's permitting system has no provision to allow for this situation, without having to run the risk you cite in item # 1 or 2 above, OR, having to go through the hassle and cost of the "Transfer/Replacement" process you noted in item # 4 above.  Somebody dropped the ball big-time on this...and it's been the case for several years now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Big Pete said:

Just for the record,

  1. Yes you can put "Pending" in the VIN and Licence fields in your profile and the system will process your order. This is illegal however as the permit has to be registered to a specific sled.
  2. Yes you can use your old VIN/Licence number to purchase this years permit. Could be illegal as you might not be the current registered owner if you have sold or traded the sled. Only the registered owner can complete the application form and accept the terms and conditions and Limitation of Liability.
  3. No you can not go back into your profile and add/amend the VIN/Licence to an existing sled in your profile. You have to add a new sled but then the permit stays attached to the existing sled in the profile. OFSC will not change it. Your District/Club can not change it. If OFSC changes it, they are condoning an illegal practice.
  4. If you use your old VIN/Licence number to purchase a permit, you must then go through the Transfer/Replacement process by completing the required form and paying the fee ($15.00)

To the best of my knowledge the permit system is an OFSC system not an MTO system. So unless OFSC has provided OPP with access to our system there is no practical way to check a permit on-trail. So in reality there is very little risk or consequence to doing 1 or 2 above.To me the biggest risk is if something should happen, like being involved in a serious accident. Police will check the permit and I have no idea what happens if the investigation shows the permit is not properly assigned to the sled. Would it nbe similar to driving your car with someone else's plate on it? I am sure some litigation lawyer would have a field day with that and what would your insurance say about an improperly permitted sled.

 

OFSC can transfer a permit legally according to the website information. It can be transferred to the new owner of the sled that you sold OR if it has not been affixed to the sled yet it can be transferred to the new sled.

 

WHEN CAN A PERMIT BE TRANSFERRED LEGALLY?

Permit transfers are only permitted in the following situations:

  1. You are selling (or have otherwise transferred the ownership of) your snowmobile to another person along with the unexpired current season permit (Seasonal or Classic only) or you have purchased a snowmobile with an unexpired current season permit (Seasonal or Classic only).

  2. You are replacing your snowmobile and would like to transfer the unexpired current season permit (Seasonal or Classic only) to your new snowmobile.

In either situation, you must advise the OFSC of the transfer by contacting the OFSC directly at permits@ofsc.on.ca. 

 

It seems that some of the district administrators also have the login access to update the information.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

02Sled your highlighted bullet #2 is the scenario I described in my point 4. The assumption in the transaction is that the permit is legally attached to the old sled. If the permit buyer had sold the old sled back in the spring they are no longer the registered owner of the sled and therefore “technically” can not buy a permit for the sled now. I know there is nothing in the system to prevent the purchase with the old sled info but that doesn’t make it right.  Also the OFSC statement says to contact them. What they Left unsaid is that you have to fill out the form and pay the fees in order to transfer the permit to the new sled. 

 

As for district admins bring being able to change VIN numbers etc I know for a fact our district admin has no different access than a club admin (which I am for my club) and there is no way to just amend someone’s file without generating either a sale transaction or a replacement transaction. When I pull a list of permit sales I often see the “Pending” or TBA in the VIN field. Sometimes the owner will send the info to us and if they do we greatfully acknowledge it but it doesn’t Go anywhere else.  Maybe somebody at OFSC can do a change but we have yet to get any changed. 

Edited by Big Pete

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just purchased my permits tonight. I was told by my dealer to just put in 'New Sled' which is what I did. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

Just purchased my permits tonight. I was told by my dealer to just put in 'New Sled' which is what I did. 

Was the dealer not able or not willing to provide you with your new VIN before it arrives at the dealership?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Was the dealer not able or not willing to provide you with your new VIN before it arrives at the dealership?

When I asked earlier this month, he didn't have my sled yet...might be there now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×