Another OFSC corporate position!!!

SuperG

9 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Rather me type out and then get flamed by those who know better. Here is some reading for you.

The part that is written in regards to membership is in the ofsc bylaws.  Clubs are the Membership, not the average Joe Permit buyer. 

Not for Profit 

Financial Statement

Present to the Members at the annual meeting as part of the annual report, the financial statement of the Corporation approved by the Board together with the report of the auditor or of the person who has conducted the review engagement, as the case may be.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/not-profit-corporations-act-default-organizational-law

Personally calling the Barrie office to lobby your complaints won't go far. They only take directions from the Board of Governors and the Executive committee.  You are best to contact your District Governor..

Thanks Paul...... time to back-up and slowly walk away from this tread. lol 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Thank for the link.  But, starting from ofsc.on.ca, I cannot find a way to get to that page.  I can get to \org, but I see nothing for /leadership or anything further.  So, is it really easy to find if you don't have a hidden link?

I used Google.

19 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Not so fast the sweeping one size fits all funding formula is deadly for the cottage belt areas . These areas have heavy traffic difficult terrain often are demended to produce trails in low snow conditions and do not have a huge permit base. 

11 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Thank for the link.  But, starting from ofsc.on.ca, I cannot find a way to get to that page.  I can get to \org, but I see nothing for /leadership or anything further.  So, is it really easy to find if you don't have a hidden link?

I surfed around the site too & this is the closest that I can find:

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/org/about-us/news

I Googled 'OFSC board of governors' & got the page that Yukon posted.

Paul is right you can find the names of the district governors using a Google search.

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/org/leadership/board-of-governors

Some of them have even written a bio that you can open. Now the big question. How do you contact them. That page doesn't have any phone numbers or email addresses. So you start to try and drill down.

You go to the top of the page and click on the link Stay Connected and then Club Locator from the drop down list. Then click on i.e. District 6 (only picked that one because she actually had a lengthy bio) That opens up a page for Snow Country Snowmobile Region. They have a calendar for events, names the member clubs, not in a list format but a paragraph and a number of advertisements including driver training. Driver training includes contact information with dates and phone numbers.

Then at the bottom there is

Capture1.JPG.0a85b0517b03a69868a37a5e7a7f61dc.JPG

I will assume that is the contact information for the District administrative people and not the governor. Reaching out to that contact would hopefully get you through to the governor eventually, possibly having to leave a message or receiving another phone number or email address.

Just above that information and to the right is a clickable link for Contact. which showed me Cheryl Reid as Governor for D6 which is a name we already have from the first web page.

When I clicked on CONTACT on the D6 webpage it shows a bit more information including a Fax and Cell number which is good but that is still it seems to the administrative person.

Capture1.JPG.af70c643f9e78a4d8df1997459f23461.JPG

On the right side of the page is

Capture1.JPG.aec5c89c90a3a007fbf2937cb5434a58.JPG

The greenish blue names are clickable and will open up and create an email within your system. In my case it opened a new email with the email address

cheryl.reid01@gmail.com

Bottom line is I randomly picked a district and with a few not difficult logical drill downs was able to get to the point of creating an email to the D6 governor.

If you are passionate enough about a situation that you are motivated to reach out to a district governor it seems to be something that can be reasonably done.

To validate this further I went back to the link Stay Connected and then Club Locator from the drop down list and selected District 7.

I got the information for the D7 administrative office

Capture1.JPG.de76e2cdbe9d7cae21476fe9dacbe448.JPG

From there it's not quite as easy to drill down as D6 was. There are a number of icons/logos for links to tours/sponsors. There is a link for Click Here for the Muskoka Snowmobile Region and member clubs which takes you to the Muskoka Snowmobile Region web page with a Contact Us in the top right corner.

Capture1.JPG.d81b29b85e57594f9d60fb9ae4207944.JPG

You get the same information as the previous page but some direct email links. They are generic emails however and go to the admin office. Getting to the governor isn't as easy as it was for D6. It seems you would have to rely on the administrator to either supply an additional contact or pass on a message.

You can still get there though.

LOL...yep, totally transparent and so easy to communicate.... :icon_munching:

All permit holders should have each governor's private number should the need arise to reach out....:headbang:

And just to clarify something, all of these people are in fact volunteering their time?

28 minutes ago, stoney said:

All permit holders should have each governor's private number should the need arise to reach out....:headbang:

And just to clarify something, all of these people are in fact volunteering their time?

Notwithstanding what I previously posted, I don’t think it reasonable that Trail Permit holders should feel that they should get their questions answered or make their points to the District Governor or District President.  That is too much to expect of any District Governor in my mind.  I think their primary role is to be liaison between OFSC and District Clubs.

There is an organizational structure beginning with the Clubs followed by the Districts and then the Board of Governors.

Certain Issues such as Trails are best started out at the Club President Level by email preferably.  Some issues are better suited to be discussed at the District level and each Club usually has at least 2 persons that can sit at the District table.

Unless you are willing to do some research starting at the Club Level I don’t think it reasonable to jump straight to the District Governor.

58 minutes ago, stoney said:

I would be really reluctant to give out private phone numbers... it would be opening the door to every crackpot any time of day or night. Kid yourself not... there are lots of them. You get lots of people that take exception to the rules and do really dumb things like shoot up signs on snowmobile trails. Are these the crackpots you want having someone's private number, doing a reverse lookup and now having their address.

37 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Notwithstanding what I previously posted, I don’t think it reasonable that Trail Permit holders should feel that they should get their questions answered or make their points to the District Governor or District President.  That is too much to expect of any District Governor in my mind.  I think their primary role is to be liaison between OFSC and District Clubs.

There is an organizational structure beginning with the Clubs followed by the Districts and then the Board of Governors.

Certain Issues such as Trails are best started out at the Club President Level by email preferably.  Some issues are better suited to be discussed at the District level and each Club usually has at least 2 persons that can sit at the District table.

Unless you are willing to do some research starting at the Club Level I don’t think it reasonable to jump straight to the District Governor.

agreed... and the clubs get enough complaints already. It seems all too rare they hear compliments or thank you's

5 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Although my post had a fair amount of sarcasm intended, I agree 100% that if people have inquires or are looking for justification/data as to why a decision is made province wide, it should be easily available.

I know the typical answer seems to always be, join a club if you want answers, but it seems if clubs are not in the know either as to why things are the way they are, than  what good is that.....other than the obvious of helping out a club!

When it appears the full story is not told, people just take that and spin it in all sorts of ways, most being not productive at all and typically just chip away at an already border line volunteer base.

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I would be really reluctant to give out private phone numbers... it would be opening the door to every crackpot any time of day or night. Kid yourself not... there are lots of them. You get lots of people that take exception to the rules and do really dumb things like shoot up signs on snowmobile trails. Are these the crackpots you want having someone's private number, doing a reverse lookup and now having their address.

That was 110% sarcasm comment.

Could you imagine the calls that would occur and the mass exit of so many.

23 hours ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Why would that be?

Anywhoo ....there have been a couple of disparaging remarks about Cheryl Reid so here's my story. As I usually  rotate riding through a lot of club areas and can't really find just one appropriate to the "buy where you ride" slogan, at the beginning of each season I feed the names of the clubs where I have ridden in the past season into a little program I built and a random number gets to choose which club gets my permit dollars. On some occasions, where clubs have been desperate to keep up numbers, I have determined club designation by this as well.

On the year when the Opeongo Songbirds won "the draw" as my designated club, Ms. Reid sent a personal email thanking me for my purchase, referred me to their facebook page for trail updates, and asked for any general suggestions I might have. Not one other club has ever done this. I consider it an indication of the energy and dedication Ms. Reid directs into snowmobiling. I also like her stand on "no bikes on the trails".

Just a couple of comments. First this board has a great reputation for reasoned and respectful debate. It’s quite acceptable to disagree with someone’s position on any given topic without attacking them personally.  When comments become aggressive or disrespectful the value of the discussion is diminished. 

Secondly, as to the average permit buyer and what voice they should have and who should be dealing with them.   As a permit buyer, the individual is automatically a Class C member of the OFSC. And while they do not have any voting rights at the provincial level they are still legitimate members and should be recognized. Since they are members of the OFSC the onus falls on the OFSC to communicate with their members in an appropriate fashion. If the issue is provincial in nature (ie the permit system failure) then a provincial response is required. As the elected representative of the OFSC that obligation falls to the President IMO. The response may be prepared by staff but is delivered by, or in the name of, the President. 

Questions or or issues of a regional nature would be handed off to the regional representative (aka District Governor). Under MOTS I see this requirement becoming much more significant as permit buyers start to understand the District based decision making. 

Local issues would be dealt with by Club Presidents. 

With todays communication tools (group email, social media etc) it makes it pretty easy to get a message out pretty quickly. If you choose to do so! This is where the organization tends to struggle. As someone said earlier, a lack of information leads to speculation and conjecture which can be very disruptful to the organization. 

We were told at our district meeting last night that Glen Roberts, the recently hired Executive Director for the OFSC, was killed in an MVA last Friday on Hwy 11 near Bracebridge.  The impression I got from people in the know was that he had some great ideas and successes in his short time at the OFSC.

RIP Glen and condolences to his family and friends.

20 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

We were told at our district meeting last night that Glen Roberts, the recently hired Executive Director for the OFSC, was killed in an MVA last Friday on Hwy 11 near Bracebridge.  The impression I got from people in the know was that he had some great ideas and successes in his short time at the OFSC.

That is brutally sad so sorry to hear this 

X3! I feel for his family and co workers at OFSC, during this difficult time. 

Horrible news.

Is it just me, or does it seem as though there have been an excessive amount of road fatalities lately, and a lot involving transport trucks.

And to think the bad weather and roads are hardly upon us.

I find myself as of late a lot more aware of the actions of those driving around me, especially the transport trucks.

7 hours ago, zoso said:

Sad news. 54 years old. Single vehicle crash at 7am. maybe he had a health related episode that caused the crash. he hit a rock cut in the center median.

I was speaking with a governor last night who told me that he was a good man who would have made a difference 

15 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Such sad news. Condolences to his family. 

Very tragic news. deepest condolences to family, friends and all that new him. I can at least say I had the pleasure of meeting him at this last agm. He seemed like a great family man and someone who had a great vision for the ofsc. :( 

Archived