Another OFSC corporate position!!!

SuperG

Well said b baker the  ship is taking on water . With out a plan to fix the leaks . 

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Blake G said:

Many clubs restrict attendance to their meetings. I somehow think district meetings are even more restrictive.

5 hours ago, soupkids said:

why does everyone forget that the OFSC is the clubs, yours, mine etc.

Old Boys clubs.  Not everywhere, but enough to sour the milk.  

8 hours ago, coldfinger said:

Well said b baker the  ship is taking on water . With out a plan to fix the leaks . 

x2 on that 

All I can say is give the new changes a chance......     I don't  know why but there is many people on this website that have a big hate for the OFSC or Ontario... for Gods sake we are from Ontario.   When things are good we don't hear about it, seems many are just watching for the OFSC to do something to analyze it, dissect it and only take the what they think is bad.   If somebody has something good to say or defends the OFSC he then get's shit on.   I've seen at the OFSC AGM people trying to find something to complain, to pick a fight, stand up to the Mic and bitch, some it's the only thing they do when they get up is bitch, complain... when I use to go it was the joke as we knew as soon as those individuals would get up what they would say.     Anyways I've seen the positive changes in the last 3 years, we are getting there, is it perfect? Hell no but they are working on things and getting better.  We have a good group of Governors representing the whole province at the table, they are taking the decisions and giving directions to the OFSC staff for us clubs.     

Let's all enjoy or awesome sport, the snow will be here.... (I hope lol) soon and we will be riding.  Join a club and help out.

2 hours ago, The Groomer Guy said:

All I can say is give the new changes a chance......     I don't  know why but there is many people on this website that have a big hate for the OFSC or Ontario... for Gods sake we are from Ontario.   When things are good we don't hear about it, seems many are just watching for the OFSC to do something to analyze it, dissect it and only take the what they think is bad.   If somebody has something good to say or defends the OFSC he then get's crap on.   I've seen at the OFSC AGM people trying to find something to complain, to pick a fight, stand up to the Mic and bitch, some it's the only thing they do when they get up is bitch, complain... when I use to go it was the joke as we knew as soon as those individuals would get up what they would say.     Anyways I've seen the positive changes in the last 3 years, we are getting there, is it perfect? Hell no but they are working on things and getting better.  We have a good group of Governors representing the whole province at the table, they are taking the decisions and giving directions to the OFSC staff for us clubs.     

Let's all enjoy or awesome sport, the snow will be here.... (I hope lol) soon and we will be riding.  Join a club and help out.

I like what you are saying Luc... the challenge is that there is too much secrecy or appearance of secrecy of what they are doing. What is needed to curtail the negativity is more, much more transparency of what they are doing, why they are doing it and what their progress is.

Giving people accurate information dispels imaginative theories.

I.e. the ITG. I am one of the first to say the new ITG is a huge step backwards from what we had and it is. In the business world their current approach would not work. You launch something new as a replacement it had better be as good as what was there before or better with further enhancements coming. You don't launch something that takes 20 steps backwards and say nothing. They could do so much more to address concerns than to just say it's a work in progress. Much more.

33 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I like what you are saying Luc... the challenge is that there is too much secrecy or appearance of secrecy of what they are doing. What is needed to curtail the negativity is more, much more transparency of what they are doing, why they are doing it and what their progress is.

Giving people accurate information dispels imaginative theories.

I.e. the ITG. I am one of the first to say the new ITG is a huge step backwards from what we had and it is. In the business world their current approach would not work. You launch something new as a replacement it had better be as good as what was there before or better with further enhancements coming. You don't launch something that takes 20 steps backwards and say nothing. They could do so much more to address concerns than to just say it's a work in progress. Much more.

I'm told the BOG is very big on that now "Transparency"  that directions to the STAFF is to be transparent,  I don't think The "OFSC" did it on purpose, sometimes you assume people know, forget to tell what is going on.   Things are changing and they realize it, one example there was lot's of complaints, comments of the OFSC official facebook page, as soon as they started talking to people explaining the people calmed down and where more understanding.  

5 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

I'm told the BOG is very big on that now "Transparency"  that directions to the STAFF is to be transparent,  I don't think The "OFSC" did it on purpose, sometimes you assume people know, forget to tell what is going on.   Things are changing and they realize it, one example there was lot's of complaints, comments of the OFSC official facebook page, as soon as they started talking to people explaining the people calmed down and where more understanding.  

Exactly... communication. They are very short sighted with their communication though. Whoever they are listening to is leading them astray on communications. Facebook is a tool however lots of people don't use Facebook. Especially our core demographic. They have a regular email that goes out with information. Unfortunately it tends to be links to Craig Nicholson articles which I tend to not be interested in. I would read the poorest quality report from you before I would read his very best report. They have a webpage. They have that email distribution list that can rather than just the monthly newsletter can be used for urgent bulletins.

During the permit sales website problem there was far too little communication. Over the duration I got I believe one email distribution telling me that they believe it is fixed and people with last names beginning in A, B or C please try it.

When I spoke to the OFSC reps at the show in October I asked why the new ITG doesn't work on Internet Explorer. They told me that NOBODY uses that anymore. According to the OFSC "expert" EVERYONE uses Firefox. Poor misguided fools...

I liken it to my friends son in his first year of university calling his dad to say the new high end Windows laptop he just got to use for school needs to be replaced with a Mac. He is studying for a business degree. When asked why he told his dad that according to two of his professors NOBODY uses Windows in business anymore. Mac is the way to go and they will need it to function in their classes. More misguided fools.

5 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Exactly... communication. They are very short sighted with their communication though. Whoever they are listening to is leading them astray on communications. Facebook is a tool however lots of people don't use Facebook. Especially our core demographic. They have a regular email that goes out with information. Unfortunately it tends to be links to Craig Nicholson articles which I tend to not be interested in. I would read the poorest quality report from you before I would read his very best report. They have a webpage. They have that email distribution list that can rather than just the monthly newsletter can be used for urgent bulletins.

During the permit sales website problem there was far too little communication. Over the duration I got I believe one email distribution telling me that they believe it is fixed and people with last names beginning in A, B or C please try it.

When I spoke to the OFSC reps at the show in October I asked why the new ITG doesn't work on Internet Explorer. They told me that NOBODY uses that anymore. According to the OFSC "expert" EVERYONE uses Firefox. Poor misguided fools...

I liken it to my friends son in his first year of university calling his dad to say the new high end Windows laptop he just got to use for school needs to be replaced with a Mac. He is studying for a business degree. When asked why he told his dad that according to two of his professors NOBODY uses Windows in business anymore. Mac is the way to go and they will need it to function in their classes. More misguided fools.

"would read the poorest quality report from you"    Hey now!!!! lol      I know what you mean.   

6 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

"would read the poorest quality report from you"    Hey now!!!! lol      I know what you mean.   

No no... not suggesting your reports are poor. They are all excellent. Just your least excellent is better than his very best.

Maybe the BOG is trying to get more transparency in the OFSC but it was the CLUBS that pushed the OFSC to have more transparency at the AGM. From my experience at the agms, the BOG doesn't care what the clubs have to say much. They just want to ram through their precious MOTS plan.If a couple districts dont want to merge than why FORCE them to. All they are doing is losing valuable volunteers and experience as they dont want to merge. And that Cheryl Reid does not give two $hits about anything or what the people of those districts have to say. And her take on T.P is a disgrace!!!! Friggin Walmart greeters stance and less enforcement on the trails my ass! Also the most ignorant, full of attitude person I have ever met at the AGM, definitely FULL of herself!

36 minutes ago, SuperG said:

Maybe the BOG is trying to get more transparency in the OFSC but it was the CLUBS that pushed the OFSC to have more transparency at the AGM. From my experience at the agms, the BOG doesn't care what the clubs have to say much. They just want to ram through their precious MOTS plan.If a couple districts dont want to merge than why FORCE them to. All they are doing is losing valuable volunteers and experience as they dont want to merge. And that Cheryl Reid does not give two $hits about anything or what the people of those districts have to say. And her take on T.P is a disgrace!!!! Friggin Walmart greeters stance and less enforcement on the trails my ass! Also the most ignorant, full of attitude person I have ever met at the AGM, definitely FULL of herself!

Disagreement is understandable,  but why post personal insults on an open forum?

1 hour ago, The Groomer Guy said:

I was as a district representative received a directive from Barrie, as did many others, not to discuss or disclose any information about policy to the general public....ya, that sounds like they did not hide crap on purpose.

1 hour ago, SuperG said:

The district 1 governor was the OFSC president that brought in the idiocy of the classic with his bullshit stats that he pulled out of thin air and shoved it down the memberships throat. Yet here he is, still holding a position of influence. 

The issue with lack of communication or transparency for the most part can be blamed on the district governor and club representatives at district level. It is up to us to ask the Governor for more information if we are not satisfied with the answers or information  we are receiving . We need to make sure the people attending district meetings understand and convey the information accurately . I have attended AGM for the past 9 years and am still amazed at the number of delegates who are misinformed or have no knowledge of what is taking place. The same goes for attending different club meetings, the interpretation  and or delivery of information can vary greatly especially if it directly affects that particular club. Bottom line is the information trail is only as good as the delivery method. We all need to remember the OFSC is not an entity on its own, the permit holders, clubs and districts are ultimately responsible for how Barrie operates and if we are not happy with that then we need to start at the club and district level and make the changes to ensure our concerns are addressed.

10 hours ago, The Groomer Guy said:

All I can say is give the new changes a chance......     I don't  know why but there is many people on this website that have a big hate for the OFSC or Ontario... for Gods sake we are from Ontario.   When things are good we don't hear about it, seems many are just watching for the OFSC to do something to analyze it, dissect it and only take the what they think is bad.   If somebody has something good to say or defends the OFSC he then get's shit on.   I've seen at the OFSC AGM people trying to find something to complain, to pick a fight, stand up to the Mic and bitch, some it's the only thing they do when they get up is bitch, complain... when I use to go it was the joke as we knew as soon as those individuals would get up what they would say.     Anyways I've seen the positive changes in the last 3 years, we are getting there, is it perfect? Hell no but they are working on things and getting better.  We have a good group of Governors representing the whole province at the table, they are taking the decisions and giving directions to the OFSC staff for us clubs.     

Sorry, can't afford to adopt your attitude - over the past few months we've seen an unqualified group hired on long term as marketers for the OFSC - their CORE business being at a conflict of interest with what they are supposed to be doing for the OFSC, watched as a perfectly good interactive map was replaced by a POS (and given New Brunwick's three year problems with the same type of map there will not be any improvements) and a good old cluster f**k on line trail pass catastrophe.  Bunch of people with each others hands in each other's pockets. And no real way to question it or get answers.

BTW - here are the qualifications listed in the job advertisement for "Director of Corporate Operations" - closed sometime in November and research seems to indicate it was only posted on the OFSC careers board - although I could stand corrected if on any other on-line job prospecting sites may have picked it up:

Education and Experience: :
• Post-secondary degree/diploma in business management or related field of study or an
equivalent combination of education and work experience. Project management
certification would be considered a major asset;
• 10 or more years in related management positions with progressive responsibility and
track record for success in adding value to the organizations objectives;
• Direct experience and knowledge of organized snowmobiling in Ontario or an
understanding of organized snowmobiling in North America is highly desirable;
• Experience in monitoring the success of policy development and implementation, and
using this information to feed back into the decision-making process;
• Experience in developing processes and procedures necessary to implement approved
policies, measuring progress and making necessary improvements; and
• Experience in managing/coordinating complex projects in which there are a broad range
of stakeholders with varying interests.

Full document here:

Job Description Ops Dir FINAL GR 2.pdf

Doesn't look like the job got filled according to reports here. Bets on what happens next?

Luc, you have to look 'outside' the box so to speak & see things from Joe & Jane Sledder's viewpoint. Who are on the BOG? The last prez I can name was Dennis Burns, I have no idea who the current 1 is or his predecessors.

Looking @ the latest Go Snowmobiling Ontario!  only Ned Nickerson (if he still is on the board) has a column. IMO, the OFSC has a long way to go to improve their communications.

Finally the monthly Paudash Trailblazers executive meetings are open to the snowmobiling public.

So just a quick few questions.

We have some really smart people on here who are very educated on the way things should work so why can't they help all of us who are not involved at the club level or district level help change things.  Is it a matter of us calling out the OFSC and asking them to be more transparent and informative to the public?

Correct me if I'm wrong here but its a not for profit business right??  So there should be full transparency into the way things are run.

I have no problem phoning the OFSC or emailing them i have multiple times already about the shitty trail map they put out via the link Blake put up a few weeks ago.

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Correct me if I'm wrong here but its a not for profit business right??  So there should be full transparency into the way things are run.

Rather me type out and then get flamed by those who know better. Here is some reading for you.

The part that is written in regards to membership is in the ofsc bylaws.  Clubs are the Membership, not the average Joe Permit buyer. 

Not for Profit 

Financial Statement

Present to the Members at the annual meeting as part of the annual report, the financial statement of the Corporation approved by the Board together with the report of the auditor or of the person who has conducted the review engagement, as the case may be.

https://www.ontario.ca/page/not-profit-corporations-act-default-organizational-law

Personally calling the Barrie office to lobby your complaints won't go far. They only take directions from the Board of Governors and the Executive committee.  You are best to contact your District Governor..

35 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

You are best to contact your District Governor..

Is this info readily available? If it wasn't for my dealings @ the club meetings, I wouldn't know who the Governor for D2 is. 

17 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Is this info readily available? If it wasn't for my dealings @ the club meetings, I wouldn't know who the Governor for D2 is. 

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/org/leadership/board-of-governors

Not to hard to find really! 

28 minutes ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

http://www.ofsc.on.ca/org/leadership/board-of-governors

Not to hard to find really! 

Thanks.

Seeing as Mark Lester has a column in the Supertrax mag which the OFSC's mag' accompanies, maybe it would be a good idea for the prez to have a presence in the Go Snowmobiling mag instead.  

5a261793d50b1_20171204_OFSC1.thumb.jpg.1c7025cc6f795ebf46b00b752b6983c5.jpg

5a2617a2bdf05_20171204_OFSC2.thumb.jpg.87c497313c5f316e72d3500331e56fe9.jpg

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Thank for the link.  But, starting from ofsc.on.ca, I cannot find a way to get to that page.  I can get to \org, but I see nothing for /leadership or anything further.  So, is it really easy to find if you don't have a hidden link?

Went to google and typed ofsc and got the ofsc home page.

Typed "leadership" in the white search box at the top right and the first result listed was the leadership landing page.

Typed governors and got the same result.

Went back to google and typed ofsc leadership and went straight to http://www.ofsc.on.ca/org/leadership/board-of-governors

5 hours ago, Blake G said:

Went to google and typed ofsc and got the ofsc home page.

Typed "leadership" in the white search box at the top right and the first result listed was the leadership landing page.

Typed governors and got the same result.

Went back to google and typed ofsc leadership and went straight to http://www.ofsc.on.ca/org/leadership/board-of-governors

Had the page not disappeared sometime ago, you could have seen a few names listed in working OFSC positions and also on the masthead of supertrax magazine....but as revrnd has helpfully pointed out there seems to be quite a bit of 'interbreeding' between the two organizations....

lester.jpg.fadfead0ddc069f50fad03bca1a29f1e.jpg

It sure would be interesting to find out what kind of competition was held for the marketing contract - usually marketing companies are contacted or invited to make a pitch for such things....and I am not sure what qualifications if any the above 'marketers' hold......some of the names are familiar to me from email exchanges to when the magazine fouled my entry into their contest....but the OFSC being large enough a few mainstream marketers might have come up with some bold new strategies as opposed to the simple old ones used by the Lester family and their hangers on ....maybe Arlene Dickinson....you know...... the one from Dragon's Den.....has the marketing contract for Toyota Canada which is a pretty good recommendation......there are others of course.....if you bother to look.

Archived