Another OFSC corporate position!!!

SuperG

Image may contain: outdoorh

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, SuperG said:

Image may contain: outdoorh

Glad they are saving ALL that money on a few administrative positions forcing districts to merge when they dont want to and the OFSC doesnt care what they're concerns were about it nor allowing them to vote on it! You know these positions will be close to the 90k a year plus range. Only real savings they have on this is instead of giving out two new groomers to two districts they'll have to give one groomer to a super district! Im loosing faith in OUR OFSC! 

she would sell the OFSC to Ontario Hydro :D

1 hour ago, Muskoka Man said:

she would sell the OFSC to Ontario Hydro :D

Hey, Hyrdo One is a money making company might not be a bad idea. Mind you we'd all be charged a delivery fee for the snow.

Just to remind everyone that may have forgotten or has the wrong impression, the OFSC is NOT owned or controlled by the province.  Bill 101 which made permits mandatory, also made the permits a ministry document and, as such, the ministry must approve any permit fees charged and puts strict guidelines on how the permit money can be spent, insofar as it must be used for trails and administration of the sport.

20 minutes ago, Doogirl69 said:

New Guy Glenn quit already or is this position for Paul?

In addition to Glen and Paul. 

I know OFSC is not province owned ,just seems it is run by the same bunch sometimes 

6 hours ago, sledjunk said:

The ministry must approve any permit fees charged and puts strict guidelines on how the permit money can be spent, insofar as it must be used for trails and administration of the sport.

Im sure they do.. would be intresting to see what that split between trail and admin is.

It's intresting this information isn't more freely available. Yes the OFSC is a private not for profit. However since the goverment owns and controls the permits. There has to be some public reportabilty and openness under the freedom of information act. I'm sure the OFSC has to report back to the GOV how money was spend. Wonder if that is requestable some how.

The financials of the OFSC and the clubs are audited every year and reported to the ministry.  I am sure that the information is available from the government with a proper request.  I think there was a pie chart  showing admin as a small part of the pie, but I cannot remember the percentage.  Possibly, Big Pete will have some more details.

The 2016 Sunshine list shows the names of 115,431 public sector workers who were paid over $100,000 last year. Along with a few thousand teachers, constables, and firefighters, you can find the names of the two OFSC employees with salaries between 115 and 120 thousand for 2016.

42 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

The financials of the OFSC and the clubs are audited every year and reported to the ministry.  I am sure that the information is available from the government with a proper request.  I think there was a pie chart  showing admin as a small part of the pie, but I cannot remember the percentage.  Possibly, Big Pete will have some more details.

If you have access to the Clubhouse site the Annual Report is posted under the Governance tab in this years AGM. 

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

The 2016 Sunshine list shows the names of 115,431 public sector workers who were paid over $100,000 last year. Along with a few thousand teachers, constables, and firefighters, you can find the names of the two OFSC employees with salaries between 115 and 120 thousand for 2016.

WOW, so Mike C must have got a nice severance pay. Still making over $118,000 in 2017 and he left/fired in the early Spring 2017.

Looks like More on the Snow in action.

•           
    2 optional columns selected 
    Search: 
    102550100 records per page

Year Employer Name Total Change (%)
    Year All 1997 1998 1999 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017     
    2017 Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Paul Shaughnessy $121,809.00 16.73
    2017 Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Michael Clewer $118,488.76 13.84
    2016 Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Paul Shaughnessy $104,349.58 None
    2016 Ontario Federation of Snowmobile Clubs Michael Clewer $104,088.07 None
Employer          Sector          Position          Salary          Benefits          Change          Change (%) 

How can the 2017 figures be posted?  The year isn't over?  Something funny going on here.  

Also so does anyone see anything really wrong here?  These people are heading the organization.  Lots of responsibility involved along with the expectation that they will be available at off hours on a regular basis.  $120,000 is a respectable salary, but it's not excessive for what we're talking about.  Compare the OFSC to other similar organizations and you'll find it's ran quite lean.  Just walk into the OFAH office and count the number of bodies.  Then do the same at OFSC head office and you'll see its lean.  

29 minutes ago, signfan said:

How can the 2017 figures be posted?  The year isn't over?  Something funny going on here.  

Also so does anyone see anything really wrong here?  These people are heading the organization.  Lots of responsibility involved along with the expectation that they will be available at off hours on a regular basis.  $120,000 is a respectable salary, but it's not excessive for what we're talking about.  Compare the OFSC to other similar organizations and you'll find it's ran quite lean.  Just walk into the OFAH office and count the number of bodies.  Then do the same at OFSC head office and you'll see its lean.  

Many sledders feel the OFSC office admin for 200+ clubs can be run by 3 or 4 minimum wage staffers, but yet are accepting of district and association admins making north of $50-$60k to admin a handful of clubs :rolleyes:

9 hours ago, signfan said:

At 80,000 permits a year, which seems to be a number that's floated around here. The OFSC is about a 12-14million a year operation. Having a few people in the 120k salary range isn't that unrealistic compared to other businesses at that sales level. 

Take a look at your retail giants like a Home Depot. The store we had in Belleville was a 20million a year store. When my wife was looking for a job last year, those places where paying store managers around the 110k mark. 

2 hours ago, dweese said:

At 80,000 permits a year, which seems to be a number that's floated around here. The OFSC is about a 12-14million a year operation. Having a few people in the 120k salary range isn't that unrealistic compared to other businesses at that sales level. 

Take a look at your retail giants like a Home Depot. The store we had in Belleville was a 20million a year store. When my wife was looking for a job last year, those places where paying store managers around the 110k mark. 

Only issue I see is big guys get paid, while the volunteers sweat it out (sometimes very few of them). See how much of the longer the current model is sustainable. 

2 hours ago, dweese said:

OFSC revenues run in the $17-18 million mark so DWeese is pretty close and I would agree that $110-120k for senior/executive level positions is not out of line. The question to ask is "Are you getting an acceptable level of performance?"

2 hours ago, Big Pete said:

OFSC revenues run in the $17-18 million mark so DWeese is pretty close and I would agree that $110-120k for senior/executive level positions is not out of line. The question to ask is "Are you getting an acceptable level of performance?"

How about the 'hangers on'? I hope the 'Communications' director's salary doesn't put him close to the Sunshine List.

5 hours ago, Big Pete said:

I really don’t think that the $18,000,000 revenue number is the proper benchmark for salary determination and particularly a comparison to other businesses.

The number and type of direct reporting staff is a major factor in any remuneration calculations.

The large majority of the $18,000,000 revenue is not directly overseen by OFSC Head Office staff.  Once the Groomers and Drags are purchased the next biggest expense that HO looks after is Insurance.

OFSC expenditures are primarily overseen by the Disticts, Clubs and Grooming Associations.

Nevertheless, in today’s world, salaries in the 125 G range are likely in the ballpark for top job, maybe even more.

8 hours ago, Big Pete said:

The question to ask is "Are you getting an acceptable level of performance?"

Always the question to be asked...

Normally that answer can be shown based on a company's sales or stock value.

OFSC doesn't have stocks, and I'm not too sure how much of what happens in Barrie effects permit sales. 

• 2 months later...

Archived