Ice Scratchers on Skis

signfan

I've had the spring type scratcher mounted on the ski for several years now.

I had had no problems with them, and they seem to work well.

Those look like the best on the market currently. I was so disappointed with cable scratchers I ended up drilling holes in the back of the skis and putting in bolts dragging washers.  Actually works well

i don't have ice scratchers but having scratchers on the skis makes more sense IMO, 

I think it's a good spot for them too.  My only concern is over time will they wear abs eventually breakout of the plastic in the ski?  Big difference mounting to aluminum rails as opposed to plastic skis.

These are the Blizzers cable scratchers. Notice how far back on the rails they're mounted. On ice and very hard pack they are far beyond sufficient to the point of overkill. I just don't get that sick many people can't make them work right for them. 

.facebook_1506474557836.thumb.jpg.e0cdf7d099bc1d03a0276fefef4cacd6.jpg

They have one problem, and one problem ONLY .... snagging on railway crossings  (and rarely the odd branch).  When assembled correctly they don't come off the rails  (extremely rarely).

Back to the topic, I've installed them directly onto skis with no issues. How they stay hooked I can't address though, never had any feedback. 

17 hours ago, Denis007 said:

These are the Blizzers cable scratchers. Notice how far back on the rails they're mounted. On ice and very hard pack they are far beyond sufficient to the point of overkill. I just don't get that sick many people can't make them work right for them. 

.facebook_1506474557836.thumb.jpg.e0cdf7d099bc1d03a0276fefef4cacd6.jpg

They have one problem, and one problem ONLY .... snagging on railway crossings  (and rarely the odd branch).  When assembled correctly they don't come off the rails  (extremely rarely).

Back to the topic, I've installed them directly onto skis with no issues. How they stay hooked I can't address though, never had any feedback. 

My guess is that the spray is getting to the flap and on top of the track which sends it to all the right places.  May actually do better than trying to get it through the track and thrown inside the track?

My spring loaded old school seem to a better job than the cables, but don't back up.

19 hours ago, signfan said:

I think it's a good spot for them too.  My only concern is over time will they wear abs eventually breakout of the plastic in the ski?  Big difference mounting to aluminum rails as opposed to plastic skis.

I seen a set think someone from here had ones that were mounted on the a arms. I seen serval skidoo's and yamaha's with them mounted that way as well. Going to go to the show and see what I can find. Maybe wildbill has a solution too. 

16 hours ago, AC+YA said:

My guess is that the spray is getting to the flap and on top of the track which sends it to all the right places.  May actually do better than trying to get it through the track and thrown inside the track?

My spring loaded old school seem to a better job than the cables, but don't back up.

The spray makes it into the track no trouble (if the snow is soft it fills the skidframe right up), and the vortex effect of track rotation sucks up lots of it into the tunnel for cooling.  Riding on glare ice on the day this pic was taken, couldn't get it to overheat for trying.

I have had the same ones on the Summit the past 2 years.  Worked great until the carbide tips got knocked off.  Then they only worked on handpicked snow not ice (just had the steel hooks).  Picked up the replacement tips but season ended before I got them on.  

I've used spring and cable type scratchers on the skid and ski's in various configurations....and all had negatives outweighing positives.  Last season I made some brackets to mount cable scratchers on the ski which can easily be removed/installed as needed....stored in rear bag.  This setup has worked great.

QuickDetachScratchers.jpg

QuickDetachScratchers_2.jpg

1 hour ago, rws said:

I've used spring and cable type scratchers on the skid and ski's in various configurations....and all had negatives outweighing positives.  Last season I made some brackets to mount cable scratchers on the ski which can easily be removed/installed as needed....stored in rear bag.  This setup has worked great.

I like your design.  Is the insert a square tube, or is it a piece of angle?  I have a similar setup, but mine is a 3/4 inch square vertical post with a section of 1 inch square tube with a welded flange that the scratcher mounts to.  I am using aluminum and have once had the post twist off when the scratcher catches.  I have made my own carbide tips by welding a nut at right angles to the threaded rod, and bolting a regular track stud through it.  I am thinking that I might redesign my system to lay flat like yours.

Have you had any issues with your design?

I'm running ski doo pilot 5.7 ski's, so there's not much to mount to.  Maybe I can catch the one back stub from the carbides.  I'd just be afraid of shearing the carbide stud off if the scratcher caught something (railroad track or a stick).

11 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I like your design.  Is the insert a square tube, or is it a piece of angle?  I have a similar setup, but mine is a 3/4 inch square vertical post with a section of 1 inch square tube with a welded flange that the scratcher mounts to.  I am using aluminum and have once had the post twist off when the scratcher catches.  I have made my own carbide tips by welding a nut at right angles to the threaded rod, and bolting a regular track stud through it.  I am thinking that I might redesign my system to lay flat like yours.

Have you had any issues with your design?

angle inserted into tube...

so far has been working great

11 hours ago, signfan said:

Nice setup.  What machine are they on?  I like the idea of quick pins to put them on when needed.

2015 Arctic Cat XF8000

Archived