OFSC Swings and Misses

AdamGamble

15 minutes ago, lastzrt said:

Just trying to put a positive spin on the advertising that has already been done. Particularly if it was indeed " free" or no extra cost to the OFSC.

I think you missed my point Captain Obvious.

My response to you then would be, "Then stop ignoring the STAY ON TRAIL signs O2Sled, landowners don't like it when you do that, please stay on the trails."

Gee lastzrt. It seems there is a misinterpretation on our parts. I am one of those that does stay on trail.

You posted

But, just a thought. Is this not also the exact demographic that is buying up cottage property in the snowmobile hub? The "new" property owners that come from the city and tend to be very unenlightened about the essence of the organized club trail systems and the great fun it offers. The same who decide they do not care if there has been a snowmobile trail going across their new retirement property for 30 years previous, they do not want those "skidoos" buzzing by.

Food for thought. The "free" exposure and advertising may resonate in more ways than one.

I read that as the advertising in Zoomer magazine is a waste as the audience that will see it are not interested in snowmobiling and are closing the trails across the property they purchase regardless of how long a trail has been there or the implications to snowmobilers.

While I am always disheartened to see this happen I will also defend their right to do so. It also seems that where a long term land owner may be more tolerant of a few riders that trespass where they shouldn't be, the new land owner doesn't have the long standing relationship with the snowmobile club and their trail and one sled off trail may be enough to close the trail.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe the point we have all been missing here, and I know I'm might out on a limb.

Is it possible the Zoomer partnership has nothing to do with getting new sledders in to the sport. We haven't actually seen anything yet since it was announced after the lastest issue came out.

Maybe OFSC is trying to comminuicate with the land owners. And trying to draw more in to expand and maintains the trail system. 

We all agree Zoomer Magazine isn't for the sledding type. But does it touch on the typical land owner better. 

There are benefits to the land owners. Wood lot access trails are kept clear by the club volunteers, saves the land owner from having to worry about. Clubs help with fence line work and other things as well. 

We might have been looking at this from the wrong angle the whole time.... Or the cheap drugs are effecting more then I realize :(

1 hour ago, dweese said:

Maybe the point we have all been missing here, and I know I'm might out on a limb.

Is it possible the Zoomer partnership has nothing to do with getting new sledders in to the sport. We haven't actually seen anything yet since it was announced after the lastest issue came out.

Maybe OFSC is trying to comminuicate with the land owners. And trying to draw more in to expand and maintains the trail system. 

We all agree Zoomer Magazine isn't for the sledding type. But does it touch on the typical land owner better. 

There are benefits to the land owners. Wood lot access trails are kept clear by the club volunteers, saves the land owner from having to worry about. Clubs help with fence line work and other things as well. 

We might have been looking at this from the wrong angle the whole time.... Or the cheap drugs are effecting more then I realize :(

Interesting perspective! Either way I don't see it as a bad thing. Anything that portrays snowmobiling in a positive light is a plus regardless of the audience.

Yes, Dweese , that was the point I was suggesting. That the attempt may be twofold. Both to advertise to potential new "more senior" participants to the sport, as well as target the landowners

with a positive look at the sport. I see I did not communicate this effectively. Cheers!

Maybe the OFSC should be communicating with the OFA , the farmers/ landowners who graciously give of their land, try to bridge any mistrust that the volunteers work so hard to establish , offer support and communicate the economic benefits of our trails to their communties . 

In my area there is a push for permanent walking, hiking trails now. I was talking to a landowner yesterday that said if he allows a 20 foot wide trail to go thru his property the township will allow him to severe the land adjacent to the trail and allow another home. Mind you these are just walking, hiking, snow shoe type trails no motorized vechicles. 

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

In my area there is a push for permanent walking, hiking trails now. I was talking to a landowner yesterday that said if he allows a 20 foot wide trail to go thru his property the township will allow him to severe the land adjacent to the trail and allow another home. Mind you these are just walking, hiking, snow shoe type trails no motorized vechicles. 

Kind of sounds like blackmail. You allow a hiking trail and you can get a severance. No trail no severance. Actually sounds kind of illegal.

30 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Kind of sounds like blackmail. You allow a hiking trail and you can get a severance. No trail no severance. Actually sounds kind of illegal.

X2

Sounds like a 'I'll scratch your back...' story. A person applying for a severance just has to meet the township's guidelines. My parents severed off the cabin that came with our woodlot onto a small lot. Survey the planned lot & attach the drawing to application.

Archived