OFSC Swings and Misses

AdamGamble

9 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Nutter comments.

Disagree with the guy, fine, toss crap his way because you don't agree, really? Dude lives n breathes sledding and promotes it every place he goes each and every month of the year, nothing but respect from where I sit plus he's genuinely a good guy (yea even though he rides a piss wagon).

Nutter gives as good as he gets.^_^

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 9/24/2017 at 8:52 AM, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Nutter comments.

Disagree with the guy, fine, toss crap his way because you don't agree, really? Dude lives n breathes sledding and promotes it every place he goes each and every month of the year, nothing but respect from where I sit plus he's genuinely a good guy (yea even though he rides a piss wagon).

I also hear nothing but the same from millennials, you'd have to finance sledding for them at zero cost to see many out on the trails. New advertising, If the OFSC truly did this at zero or even little cost, see no downside. 

Thanks Rick, are we going to get out and ride again this season or what ? Lots of room at the new sled den right on the rail trail just north of Kinmount for you and Ross to join us, easy access to everywhere. Best part is that all the reno's will be done and said before the snow flies. 

8 hours ago, Nutter said:

Lots of room at the new sled den right on the rail trail just north of Kinmount for you and Ross to join us, easy access to everywhere. Best part is that all the reno's will be done and said before the snow flies. 

Hope you and your lady are happy in your new digs - should be a good source of some new material for your (or others) snowmobiling writing....how about "how my opinion of after market exhaust systems has changed after living right on the trail"....or a series "life on the trail" that sort of thing.

11 hours ago, Nutter said:

Thanks Rick, are we going to get out and ride again this season or what ? Lots of room at the new sled den right on the rail trail just north of Kinmount for you and Ross to join us, easy access to everywhere. Best part is that all the reno's will be done and said before the snow flies. 

Absolutely for sure. I banged a buncha miles on the new steed last season n loved every mile.

TTYS

On a bright noter, there are lots of 50+ year olds retiring early in our area.  A few take up sledding as they meet people.  All my friends are folks like that.

12 hours ago, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

Absolutely for sure. I banged a buncha miles on the new steed last season n loved every mile.

TTYS

Yeah I remember you telling me how much you love that POO Rick LOL  

Try and make it out to our Pig Roast this year buddy, ask your brother, it was a great night, tons of fun. 

Pig and Pint 17.jpg

14 hours ago, slomo said:

Hope you and your lady are happy in your new digs - should be a good source of some new material for your (or others) snowmobiling writing....how about "how my opinion of after market exhaust systems has changed after living right on the trail"....or a series "life on the trail" that sort of thing.

Thanks Slomo, already have a few articles in the can from the new sled den area that we didn't submit last season due to timing and conditions.  We've been up in that area for years, since childhood when factoring in parents cottages, so lots to share about it. This reno cottage is not far from the other one we finished last summer, likely keep this one for a while, I'm getting tired of full gut reno's, it's been cutting into our biking and sledding time LOL 

2 hours ago, Nutter said:

Yeah I remember you telling me how much you love that POO Rick LOL  

Try and make it out to our Pig Roast this year buddy, ask your brother, it was a great night, tons of fun. 

Pig and Pint 17.jpg

Will pass info along plus do my best.

TTYS

If it's FREE Why not?   If the OFSC can get an article for free in every Magazine in Canada.... go for it, the more our Sport get's out there the better.  I'm often on CBC radio talking about Snowmobiling in the mornings, People will say  "The young don't listen to CBC radio... that will not get new blood"  It might not but it get's us in the news in a positive way and not because one guy wrapped his sled around a tree or sank in the bottom of the lake and died.   It's getting our Sport in the public in a positive way.   :)

Agree that if it's free, it's a no brainer.  I believe that what has people upset is the way it was presented to us. 

They had a countdown, said it was "an exciting announcement...you won't want to miss this"

They hype didn't live up to the reveal.  If you follow OFSC on Facebook, you'll see that they announce

partnerships and deals on there all the time.  None of those with the fan fair this Zoomer contest had.

I think if they'd just announced it, nobody would be upset. 

4 hours ago, schmied said:

Agree that if it's free, it's a no brainer.  I believe that what has people upset is the way it was presented to us. 

They had a countdown, said it was "an exciting announcement...you won't want to miss this"

They hype didn't live up to the reveal.  If you follow OFSC on Facebook, you'll see that they announce

partnerships and deals on there all the time.  None of those with the fan fair this Zoomer contest had.

To be honest I was a bit bummed when I heard what it was lol,   I was thinking something BIG....   God I'm glad I'm not 45+     I don't qualify for it lol

18 minutes ago, The Groomer Guy said:

To be honest I was a bit bummed when I heard what it was lol,   I was thinking something BIG....   God I'm glad I'm not 45+     I don't qualify for it lol

Your day will come LOL

1 hour ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Just wait until you qualify for a seniors discount :D some places it starts at 50. I just saved money on a haircut with the seniors discount. Regardless of age I should qualify anyhow since I don't have much left to cut.

Snowmobiling in Ontario does indeed need an injection of new blood, no question.

But, just a thought. Is this not also the exact demographic that is buying up cottage property in the snowmobile hub? The "new" property owners that come from the city and tend to be very unenlightened about the essence of the organized club trail systems and the great fun it offers. The same who decide they do not care if there has been a snowmobile trail going across their new retirement property for 30 years previous, they do not want those "skidoos" buzzing by.

Food for thought. The "free" exposure and advertising may resonate in more ways than one.

19 hours ago, schmied said:

You hit the hammer on the head there schmied - the second I took a look at it and the contest, realized it was just a lame attempt to collect names and info for some marketing database....thought there might have been some discounts, or perhaps a book of them for hotels, restaurants, or the like that could be used on the trails....like those at the the company hired last year to be marketing the OFSC gets.....

Or maybe something for Canada 150, OFSC 50..........Like I'm going to waste my time voting again and again for a freekin magazine story....besides in a past life, know how Znaimer operates....

13 hours ago, lastzrt said:

Snowmobiling in Ontario does indeed need an injection of new blood, no question.

But, just a thought. Is this not also the exact demographic that is buying up cottage property in the snowmobile hub? The "new" property owners that come from the city and tend to be very unenlightened about the essence of the organized club trail systems and the great fun it offers. The same who decide they do not care if there has been a snowmobile trail going across their new retirement property for 30 years previous, they do not want those "skidoos" buzzing by.

Food for thought. The "free" exposure and advertising may resonate in more ways than one.

Good thinking here....but not sure if it runs out true or not. Couple 60 years old say, cashes in on Toronto housing boom, uses proceeds to buy / build dream retirement home in sled country....are they looking for an extension of life in Toronto - access to theater, finer wines, book clubs, etc....or...?

Two some such in my McDougall township immediate neighbourhood - despite chats and emails with links to snowmobiling information including this forum, one has a motorcycle....neither interested. Your neighbourhood may vary.

14 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Just wait until you qualify for a seniors discount :D some places it starts at 50. I just saved money on a haircut with the seniors discount. Regardless of age I should qualify anyhow since I don't have much left to cut.

Love it! Didn't know to be saddened or delighted by being notified of the application  the senior's discount at Shoppers Drug Mart on Senior's Day Thursday.

We get to save the high RBC monthly fees now that we are old and milked dry.  I still have a fair bit of hair yet to cut though.

BP

On 9/29/2017 at 9:09 AM, schmied said:

+1. The fanfare should have been used for the ITG reno. 

On ‎29‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 3:55 PM, lastzrt said:

and if they don't want a snowmobile trail going across THEIR PROPERTY that is their right. And if we didn't have people riding across their property late at night or very early morning when they are trying to sleep, or ignoring the STAY ON TRAIL signs they may not have a concern about the trail on their property

I was in Shopers tonight with the wife. She was looking for a new book and I was standing there waiting and saw this month's copy of Zoomer on the shelf.

Quick look at it, shows what we all have been saying. Front cover had 4 people all on thier 70s showcasing winter fashion. Flipped through it, there was some easy on the dentures recipes. There was a top 10 must read books this wintre, warm weather travel and health stories about the early signs of Alzheimers and osteoporosis.

Yup, thier readers are clearly the new blood the system needs right now. 

Maybe the OFSC sould've gone for the ink crowd?

Tattoo%20Life%20Magazine.jpg

4bc145cf72a50016273defa1dc9fb455--revist

From the covers they seem to be aimed @ a younger demographic.

How about

http://hightimes.com/

Maybe we could attract a bunch of people who want to ride high all day.

3 hours ago, 02Sled said:

How about

http://hightimes.com/

Maybe we could attract a bunch of people who want to ride high all day.

I don't think pot smokers read hightimes.. Any pot smoke I've seen just wants to sit around and eat junk food. Reading is way too much work for them.

On Saturday, September 30, 2017 at 6:22 PM, 02Sled said:

and if they don't want a snowmobile trail going across THEIR PROPERTY that is their right. And if we didn't have people riding across their property late at night or very early morning when they are trying to sleep, or ignoring the STAY ON TRAIL signs they may not have a concern about the trail on their property

Just trying to put a positive spin on the advertising that has already been done. Particularly if it was indeed " free" or no extra cost to the OFSC.

I think you missed my point Captain Obvious.

My response to you then would be, "Then stop ignoring the STAY ON TRAIL signs O2Sled, landowners don't like it when you do that, please stay on the trails."

Archived