OFSC Swings and Misses

AdamGamble

Zoomer magazine partnership....... "and the OFSC goes down swinging"  Yikes what a lame announcement. Invest in the future not the past. 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its been on thier Facebook page about an hour. It's got 29 comments and everyone of them is calling OFSC out for being out of touch...

One did have an interesting question. Who is paying for this, maybe Zoomer is paying OFSC.. but I doubt anyone was that smart.

Wonder how long until Nutter jumps in defending it as the greatest marketing idea in years.

I take it you guys aren't in the Zoomer target market.

http://www.zoomermedia.ca/press-releases/zoomer-mag-hits-million-readers

First off magazines are a dying media outlet. I still get my snowtrax tho lol. But seriously this is such a backwards idea. I guess they are trying to recruit the boomer gerneration who have retired and go to Florida for the winter. Trying to squeeze some more juice out of a generation that has been targeting by every buissnes in North America for the last 50 years. Are they trying to get interest in these new retirees for the 10-15 years left of real ridding the "zoomers" (lmao)  have left in them? 

1 hour ago, Blake G said:

I take it you guys aren't in the Zoomer target market.

http://www.zoomermedia.ca/press-releases/zoomer-mag-hits-million-readers

Reading the link, I think I am in thier target market but have never heard of them. Looks like thier marketing doesn't work

38 minutes ago, dweese said:

Reading the link, I think I am in thier target market but have never heard of them. Looks like thier marketing doesn't work

wow i must be getting really old, i listen to zoomer radio at work and mostly in my car

Yes although quite lame! and yes I can't wait for NUTTER to come on here defending it as well LOL. The OFSC put it to us at the agm that all their surveys they did, did point to more snowmobiling traffic coming from these ZOOMERS. Apparently it did not cost the OFSC anything for them to do this..... so in their eyes i guess why not......

Makes this upcoming season look great 

I just want to go out and buy a bunch of passes 

16 hours ago, dweese said:

Its been on thier Facebook page about an hour. It's got 29 comments and everyone of them is calling OFSC out for being out of touch...

One did have an interesting question. Who is paying for this, maybe Zoomer is paying OFSC.. but I doubt anyone was that smart.

Wonder how long until Nutter jumps in defending it as the greatest marketing idea in years.

What demographic do you think has the cash flow to get into sledding these days ? Same goes for time to get involved and volunteer. It's certainly not the 15 to 25 year old crowd.  

12 hours ago, SuperG said:

Yes although quite lame! and yes I can't wait for NUTTER to come on here defending it as well LOL. The OFSC put it to us at the agm that all their surveys they did, did point to more snowmobiling traffic coming from these ZOOMERS. Apparently it did not cost the OFSC anything for them to do this..... so in their eyes i guess why not......

Do I know you ?  

I can see the point about going after that demographic. That being said, I have heard of the radio station (neverr listened to it while I lived in Oshawa). I didn't know they put out a magazine.

25 minutes ago, Nutter said:

What demographic do you think has the cash flow to get into sledding these days ? Same goes for time to get involved and volunteer. It's certainly not the 15 to 25 year old crowd.  

Do I know you ?  

1. A professional marketing and analytics organization (as opposed to a motor sports magazine and friends) would be able to accurately answer your first question.

2. superG works very hard on sledding in the Parry Sound area.

5 hours ago, Nutter said:

There aren't any city dwelling 45+ers that are in the OFSC demographic either.

Nutter have you ever looked at Zoomer magazine?  Is a city based magazine, about cultural & the arts, food, fashion, exotic travel and book clubs. You really think that's the OFSC demographic? 

Sure they have the money and time. But Zoomer readers aren't the type of people to go out and get thier hands dirty cutting trees, clearing brush or replacing hydraulic lines on a groomer. 

11 minutes ago, dweese said:

Zoomer readers aren't the type of people to go out and get thier hands dirty cutting trees, clearing brush or replacing hydraulic lines on a groomer. 

Sounds like the current majority sledder demographic as well... 

It depends on the cost to the OFSC but if the readership is correct if interest is developed in even 1% that is still 10000 potential people informed. And the empty nesters with disposable income sounds like a great demographic to target.  It has certainly worked for the Trike/Can-am market. A friend of mine is a motorcycle instructor and has said that market has exploded with that demographic. 

Zoomer is offering good publicity for the sport.

2 hours ago, matt17 said:

It depends on the cost to the OFSC but if the readership is correct if interest is developed in even 1% that is still 10000 potential people informed. And the empty nesters with disposable income sounds like a great demographic to target.  It has certainly worked for the Trike/Can-am market. A friend of mine is a motorcycle instructor and has said that market has exploded with that demographic. 

Lots of people on Trikes are x sledders though. Can ride one for 7 months of the year or longer sometimes. Was at Lake Placid a few years ago and a huge group came there, while I was at the top of wolf mountain. Must have been 150 of them on a yearly tourer.

3 hours ago, matt17 said:

Trike market has a clear advantage over sleding. You don't need to spend thousands more to buy a truck and trailer to pull that trike 2 hours away to find a place to ride it. 

Biggest draw back to sledding is getting to trails.

On ‎22‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:36 PM, SuperG said:

All I keep hearing from so many of the millenials is how tough it is for them financially and they struggle to make ends meet which translates to I can't afford to do something like sledding since I spend all my money on a new smart phone every six months and partying at the bars for a large number of them. Yes we need to keep attracting new people to the sport but at what cost. Do we really want a lot of snowcross wannabes' racing over the crest of a hill on the wrong side. Yes this is a generalization and there are exceptions but those riding like that tend to be younger than older.

Attracting riders that are in the Zoomer range, who are typically more financially stable at that point in their life and are able to afford the truck, trailer, sled, gear and operating expense is not a bad thing. Especially when it isn't costing the OFSC anything. I would much rather see and encounter a Zoomer family riding the trails responsibly and in control than a herd of 18-22 year olds seeing who can get through the twisting trail fastest regardless of how many blind corners or hill crests they encounter.

Any free publicity is good publicity. If a presence in Zoomer magazine is able to attract even just a handful of new riders that's a positive situation. Then word of mouth kicks in between them and some of their friends who are also perhaps enticed to participate in the sport. I know that's how I got started... a friend of mine was having so much fun riding he convinced me to try it. Without that happening sledding was one of those things which were not really that interesting then.  

Nutter comments.

Disagree with the guy, fine, toss crap his way because you don't agree, really? Dude lives n breathes sledding and promotes it every place he goes each and every month of the year, nothing but respect from where I sit plus he's genuinely a good guy (yea even though he rides a piss wagon).

I also hear nothing but the same from millennials, you'd have to finance sledding for them at zero cost to see many out on the trails. New advertising, If the OFSC truly did this at zero or even little cost, see no downside. 

38 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Especially when it isn't costing the OFSC anything.

Any free publicity is good publicity.

If truely is free, then sure why not. Even if only one of their readers gets in to the sport it's still a win.

And one is maybe all you'll get. Go look at thier Facebook page. Over half the stories are about ageing well in your 60s and 70s. That's not the new to sledding demographic that's going to help the system.

However nothing is free in this world. Are we really to belive this is no cost to system? Are we going to see Zoomer ads on all the trail maps now? Taking up space that was income from sponsor businesses? If that's the case, then it's not free and then it is costing the system something. 

59 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

All I keep hearing from so many of the millenials is how tough it is for them financially and they struggle to make ends meet which translates to I can't afford to do something like sledding since I spend all my money on a new smart phone every six months and partying at the bars for a large number of them. Yes we need to keep attracting new people to the sport but at what cost. Do we really want a lot of snowcross wannabes' racing over the crest of a hill on the wrong side. Yes this is a generalization and there are exceptions but those riding like that tend to be younger than older.

Attracting riders that are in the Zoomer range, who are typically more financially stable at that point in their life and are able to afford the truck, trailer, sled, gear and operating expense is not a bad thing. Especially when it isn't costing the OFSC anything. I would much rather see and encounter a Zoomer family riding the trails responsibly and in control than a herd of 18-22 year olds seeing who can get through the twisting trail fastest regardless of how many blind corners or hill crests they encounter.

Any free publicity is good publicity. If a presence in Zoomer magazine is able to attract even just a handful of new riders that's a positive situation. Then word of mouth kicks in between them and some of their friends who are also perhaps enticed to participate in the sport. I know that's how I got started... a friend of mine was having so much fun riding he convinced me to try it. Without that happening sledding was one of those things which were not really that interesting then.  

You are starting to sound like a grumpy old man! :lmao:

Archived