Wishful Thinking?

revrnd

Seeing as A107 is being reopened between Mooseland/Bambino's & Longlac, maybe TOP A could be reopened between Longlac & TB:

There are some more pics viewable thru those links

I'd prefer they connect Greenstone to Hornepayne or Marathon first....

21 hours ago, Denis007 said:

I'd prefer they connect Greenstone to Hornepayne or Marathon first....

That would be perfect!

The year we rode the Greenstone Loop and then south thru M'wadge, the terrain wasn't all that horrible. Nothing like west of that area towards Nipigon either along TOP A or D. 

While I like the idea of reconnecting the entire network I have to wonder about the economics of the idea. Especially when you consider how tight funds are currently with the groomer replacement program demanding such a large part of annual permit sales. 

dont know the area at all but google maps says it's 300km from Longlac to TB. Using the EQ cost factors of $53 per km that's $15k annually in trail costs. Grooming for say a 14 week season with 1 double pass per week comes in about $48k. That's  300km x 2 passes / 10km per hr = 60 hrs per week X 14 weeks X $58 per hour.  So we are $63k per year before we start to talk about the new groomer that would be required. A new Husky runs $235k and a 9-18 MM drag will set you back another $20k. With a 15 year lifespan, the depreciation is another $17k per year. So, all in the cost of this 300k will be close to $80k. You would need over 400 NEW permits to even start to make this viable. 

don't know if that is realistic but it's a lot of new permits to sell. 

Big Pete, I agree w/ you 100% that the economics probably preclude this as a n OFSC trail. I wonder if people are already using it? When we were riding from Hearst to Geraldton (via Longlac) we stopped @ Calstock to top up in case Klotz Lake Camp had no gas. As we were filling up a local asked us where we were headed for. When I mentioned Nakina he said he could get us to the abandoned railbed (old A107A routing) & get there quicker.

Like I said, just doing some day dreaming.

Archived