OFSC AGM Fri and Sat

Farmer Brown

4 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

So you are saying there was a Prinoth Trooper grooming last season and it didn’t have sufficient pulling power with a 9’ drag?

I did hear that they had one in 3 different Districts doing test runs so I presume they were tested sufficiently that someone must think they are capable of doing the job.

This is what the Prinoth rep at AGM told me ...... The Trooper is made in Quebec on what is basically the old BR platform the Husky is made in Italy based on it's larger siblings platform the Prinoth Bison. Trooper comes spec'd with a smaller track width of 8ft vs the Husky's 9 or 10ft but that can and will be spec'd to 9ft if the club has existing 9ft drags. The hp difference is more than made up in the weight difference the units, the Trooper is less than 2/3's the weight of the Husky. The Trooper was designed and built for the sole purpose of grooming trails, the Husky was solely designed and built for ski hills and is respec'd for doing trails.  

Also the Trooper is powered by a Tier 3 Perkins that I'm pretty sure requires no exhaust gas aftertreatment vs the Husky powered by a Tier 4 Mercedes that does require urea exhaust injection. From what I hear from people who ran both back to back last season the Trooper outperformed the Husky in more fronts than it underperformed.  I'm not fond of our clubs Husky and hoping to get a chance to try out a Trooper somewhere this season, they look a lot more stout and better built than the Husky, hopefully they are. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For all the guys saying the OPP are not checking and enforcing permits, I'm confused, how do you know this when you have a permit on your sled that they can see ? Were you riding with people that didn't have permits and they didn't get fined ? 

Sean otherwise known as Odot1 from the SAVE unit out of Napanee says they have zero tolerance for no permit, no breaks. Same policy with the OPP around here and with DRPS Off Road Unit. I heard the same from the Deputy Commissioner at AGM ? 

15 hours ago, Nutter said:

For all the guys saying the OPP are not checking and enforcing permits, I'm confused, how do you know this when you have a permit on your sled that they can see ? Were you riding with people that didn't have permits and they didn't get fined ? 

Sean otherwise known as Odot1 from the SAVE unit out of Napanee says they have zero tolerance for no permit, no breaks. Same policy with the OPP around here and with DRPS Off Road Unit. I heard the same from the Deputy Commissioner at AGM ? 

I've seen the OPP on the trails near Midland checking for permits. You slow down, your permit is visible where it should be and you don't even stop. They just wave you through. Then you get the vocal sledder who is upset he got stopper because his permit is behind the windshield facing straight toward the sky or on the side of the sled where they have to hunt to find it. I've also seen the OPP on the ice of Georgian Bay and there they are checking for drivers license registration and insurance. They don't seem to wander too far from their detachment though.

19 hours ago, Nutter said:

This is what the Prinoth rep at AGM told me ...... The Trooper is made in Quebec on what is basically the old BR platform the Husky is made in Italy based on it's larger siblings platform the Prinoth Bison. Trooper comes spec'd with a smaller track width of 8ft vs the Husky's 9 or 10ft but that can and will be spec'd to 9ft if the club has existing 9ft drags. The hp difference is more than made up in the weight difference the units, the Trooper is less than 2/3's the weight of the Husky. The Trooper was designed and built for the sole purpose of grooming trails, the Husky was solely designed and built for ski hills and is respec'd for doing trails.  

Also the Trooper is powered by a Tier 3 Perkins that I'm pretty sure requires no exhaust gas aftertreatment vs the Husky powered by a Tier 4 Mercedes that does require urea exhaust injection. From what I hear from people who ran both back to back last season the Trooper outperformed the Husky in more fronts than it underperformed.  I'm not fond of our clubs Husky and hoping to get a chance to try out a Trooper somewhere this season, they look a lot more stout and better built than the Husky, hopefully they are. 

Nutter, excellent news indeed.

Thank you for posting.

Great that groomers are finally being made in Canada again and specifically designed for snowmobile trail grooming.

Sounds like there was a thorough trial undertaken before committing 20 units.

Wonder why the OFSC is still ordering 5 Huskies?  Maybe to clear inventory and to keep promises made.

5 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Thank you for posting.

Great that groomers are finally being made in Canada again and specifically designed for snowmobile trail grooming.

Wonder why the OFSC is still ordering 5 Huskies?  Maybe to clear inventory and to keep promises made.

Kind of exciting the ofsc has done some research and is going ahead with new units. I will be happy knowing there will be room in the cab, if I break down :-).

9 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Thank you for posting.

From what I understand, the clubs / districts that chose the larger Husky paid the price difference.  The horsepower difference was the prime motivator, I think.

From what I've heard, the Trooper's lighter weight may be beneficial to clubs that have some areas w/ wet or softer terrain to groom in early season.

On 21/09/2017 at 5:33 PM, Nutter said:

Both spots the opp were set up was on side rds where you would not need a permit to ride on ,not on ofsc trails.

1 hour ago, wrightonalan said:

Both spots the opp were set up was on side rds where you would not need a permit to ride on ,not on ofsc trails.

That doesn't mean they didn't look to see if there was a permit on each sled when you were riding up to them.

Got stopped by Police three times near Kearney last winter. All at road crossings. Opp checked for val tag and stuck his face near my visor probably trying to detect alcohol.Asked about trail conditions and sent me on my way. Hard to say if he was checking for a trail pass but mine is right on the windshield where it is easily visible so he probably saw that as i pulled up and stopped.

I would think that the only way you would know the OPP were or were not checking for permits would be if a) you didn't have one and got ticketed or (b) you had one but not in the proper place (i.e. behind the windshield) so they had to ask if you had one. Otherwise if the permit is where it is supposed to be they don't need to do anything that would make it obvious they were looking for permits. 

11 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I would think that the only way you would know the OPP were or were not checking for permits would be if a) you didn't have one and got ticketed or (b) you had one but not in the proper place (i.e. behind the windshield) so they had to ask if you had one. Otherwise if the permit is where it is supposed to be they don't need to do anything that would make it obvious they were looking for permits. 

A few officers I stopped beside as they were doing roadside checks they were just checking for val tags, insurance, registration. One sled didn't have a permit on it and he let them go. Didn't care about the no permit at all just wanted to know about the other stuff. I asked them about why they let him go without a permit and he literally told me he didn't care about the permits just the other legal documents and sobriety, he said the permits were my thing. He was also a local member of the beloved SAVE team! 

BRING back our STOP officers! So they can patrol OUR trails!

16 hours ago, SuperG said:

A few officers I stopped beside as they were doing roadside checks they were just checking for val tags, insurance, registration. One sled didn't have a permit on it and he let them go. Didn't care about the no permit at all just wanted to know about the other stuff. I asked them about why they let him go without a permit and he literally told me he didn't care about the permits just the other legal documents and sobriety, he said the permits were my thing. He was also a local member of the beloved SAVE team! 

Wow Super G. Sounds like we have a major problem. I have noticed sled patrols have almost vanished. Only place I have seen officers on Sleds are in Hailburton rail line coming into village. They were more concerned about sleds stopping at stop signs it seems, which has been a huge issue in the area.

Another area is here in D5 near New hamburg and St Clements, (this was a few years ago though)

15 hours ago, SuperG said:

I too have heard the same.  I have my paperwork in a zip-lock bag and always have it such that the OFSC paperwork is first followed by the insurance and registration.  When showing the Trail Permit stuff, was told "I don't care about that".  "I just want insurance and registration".  Was it because he saw the permit already, or because I was following the road link of a trail?  Just had come from Drummond Island and was pulling into the customs telephone shack parking lot on St. Joseph Island.  Wish they would actually check it all if stopping you to check some of it.

I always get upset when I see sleds without trail permits running the trails.  Last year I never saw anyone checking anything at all on the trails.  Years ago there was at least a chance of being stopped and checked in places other than speed traps around bigger cities.

On 9/21/2017 at 5:33 PM, Nutter said:

16 hours ago, SuperG said:

Gravenhurst Area - Been stopped twice by OPP on road in their cruisers where trail crosses on different years where I had to point the trail pass out to them and suggested this is the most important thing to check.

The first time this happened, the officer asked me what that was....

The second time, the officer may very well have seen it, not 100% sure, but basically suggested that is not important, the other documents was what he was concerned about i.e. ownership, insurance & license....

Not a story by any means or am I stretching the truth!

FYI....been stopped many more than twice in this area, but this is the only 2 times permit check was not the focus or a focus at all.

Was stopped twice in the same day in the same spot just north of Bracebridge on the trail.  Both times the OPP looked for trail permit and val tag.  

I was stopped 3 times last year.  2 on the rail line viper speaks of.  But in different spots.  He checked everything over insurance sled permit paperwork ownership.   He was a sled head outside of work after all my stuff checked out we chatted for a bit.  This was right at the b112 and b103 very busy spot.

The other was a quick check and through.

The third was a warning for speeding on the d that runs beside hWY 11 in brace bridge. 

Archived