Anyone Know what this is about?

AdamGamble

7 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

Moses Znaimer of Citytv fame?

Interesting.....

Yep, Zoomer magazine......going to attract more old white people....(if you can still use that phrase these days)

Who subscribes to magazines these days?

Nothing against Boomers but,  Isn't the goal to attract youth to the sport.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

To help build club volunteer base perhaps, but in this case I would think permit revenues.

On ‎17‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 6:06 AM, slomo said:

Yep, Zoomer magazine......going to attract more old white people....(if you can still use that phrase these days)

That's racist.... and exclusionary... we need to be inclusive according to our politicians.

On 9/17/2017 at 6:06 AM, slomo said:

Have to be politically correct.. that's  now Old Stock Canadians. :p

20 hours ago, 02Sled said:

That's racist.... and exclusionary... we need to be inclusive according to our politicians.

19 hours ago, dweese said:

Have to be politically correct.. that's  now Old Stock Canadians. :p

Seems to be reasons enough to start up one of those "go fund me" interweb pages....all the good ribbon colours have already been taken up by various charities and crying towel organizations....

13 minutes ago, slomo said:

Seems to be reasons enough to start up one of those "go fund me" interweb pages....all the good ribbon colours have already been taken up by various charities and crying towel organizations....

Technically not a colour, but how about a grey ribbon?

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎17 at 8:30 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

A magazine? What a waste. OFSC is doing nothing to attract youth to the sport. 

Was just talking with my son about that. He is a city sledder and really doesn't know many other kids who ride. It needs to be promoted

46 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

A magazine? What a waste. OFSC is doing nothing to attract youth to the sport. 

Was just talking with my son about that. He is a city sledder and really doesn't know many other kids who ride. It needs to be promoted

My kid has just one friend who sleds, that has been the common story.  His uncle has a cottage where they generally launch from.  

18 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

My kid has just one friend who sleds, that has been the common story.  His uncle has a cottage where they generally launch from.  

The ofsc needs to get on this as they are our future

8 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

The ofsc needs to get on this as they are our future

They are... other problem is they have done little to keep those of us in our mid 40s in the sport as well.

When I started my current job 12 years ago. 10 guys in our group had sleds. That number is now only 2 and neither one of them ride in Ontario. 

Years of bad riding, and continual poor managment of the system have driven them off. One guy was a 4 permit buyer for his wife and 2 sons. After dropping nearly a $1000 in permits each year. He gave up and took his kids snowboarding where you can buy family passes. Sold his sleds and bought a side by side which he can ride longer for less.

8 minutes ago, dweese said:

They are... other problem is they have done little to keep those of us in our mid 40s in the sport as well.

When I started my current job 12 years ago. 10 guys in our group had sleds. That number is now only 2 and neither one of them ride in Ontario. 

Years of bad riding, and continual poor managment of the system have driven them off. One guy was a 4 permit buyer for his wife and 2 sons. After dropping nearly a $1000 in permits each year. He gave up and took his kids snowboarding where you can buy family passes. Sold his sleds and bought a side by side which he can ride longer for less.

Sometimes I think of packing it in as well.  I love it but sometimes its frustrating.  Very expensive but there is nothing else I have ever been in or on that compares to the feeling of a fresh trail after a nice snowfall.

On 9/19/2017 at 6:45 PM, catinental couch said:

Dave, that is the same story that I have been hearing but now the ATV crowd are getting disenchanted in some areas.

Yup. Assorted ATV organizations and clubs are trying hard but when it comes down to municipal bylaws being a key part of the "trail network" there's a problem. Lets face it, off road motorized sports are dying. Not even those of us in the "middle class", whatever the hell that is now, can afford a $20000 sidexside and a cottage 8 hours away to ride it at. There are at least 4 houses within a 5 minute walk of my place with ATV's buried in their garage. Pulled out once a year for hunting. The rest of the time they're buried in crap. And that's here in Guelph-Eramosa where ATV's are allowed on the roads. 

20 hours ago, mcZEd382 said:

Yup. Assorted ATV organizations and clubs are trying hard but when it comes down to municipal bylaws being a key part of the "trail network" there's a problem. Lets face it, off road motorized sports are dying. Not even those of us in the "middle class", whatever the hell that is now, can afford a $20000 sidexside and a cottage 8 hours away to ride it at. There are at least 4 houses within a 5 minute walk of my place with ATV's buried in their garage. Pulled out once a year for hunting. The rest of the time they're buried in crap. And that's here in Guelph-Eramosa where ATV's are allowed on the roads. 

Everything especially real eastate has gone nuts in southern Ontario. Average family size home in my home town of Baden has gone from 275K in 2006 to over 500k plus in 2017 and prices are still climbing. Most people's wages haven't increased much either, so I can see why people are picking less expensive activities like cycling and hiking, Almost ever second home has a dog it seems too. 

On 9/16/2017 at 5:25 PM, sledjunk said:

There is some kind of promotion with Moses Znaimer and the "Zoomer" magazine.  They are looking to highlight a sledder for the March issue.

Zoomer(def) A Boomer with Zip :wtf: (Does that mean a broke senior???)

Got the email about this contest this morning....bumped its way into my top 5 most useless contests of all time.....an article about you in a magazine is the prize?? FFS......this is the best they can do? Must have escaped somebody's notice that people are now publishing their own stories on web sites, weblogs, facebook, etc....

...they'll probably lose most of the entries anyway given past history....

OMG guys..... quit the complaining and whining.   Any Publicity is good,   I'm sure the OFSC was approached by Zoomer with the idea and the OFSC agreed to go along..... what wrong with that? for #uck's sake for once it's not Trump.. or something that is always in the news or magazine covers.   I know we need to attract the young and I'm all for that but let's not forget the people that have been at it for a long time, the ones before us that have ben doing the work.  Anything is good to get our Sport out there, maybe there's somebody sitting in a doctor's office reading this Mag and looking for a change in his life and wants to try something new and sees an article about snowmobiling.

Let's keep an open mind and stop going ape shit every time someone types the four letters OFSC.   

Archived