Geraldton/Greenstone Reconnected

revrnd

On ‎2‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 8:41 PM, Wildman said:

It is showing that 3/4 of it is open now, just a short piece on the east end is closed, gotta wonder if the data didn't get submitted properly because from what I have read it is suppose to be all open.

I saw it on FB too.

I won't plan on taking that ride unless it goes green.  Needs to happen sometime soon.

Hoping..........

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

I saw it on FB too.

I won't plan on taking that ride unless it goes green.  Needs to happen sometime soon.

Hoping..........

Is this close enough ?

5a905f71be17b_longlactrail.thumb.JPG.5ace4086a7ea0f15c698654502b919d6.JPG

Getting close now! 

My boy is in Dub for 3 days doing off trail mostly. 

I just got back last weekend from Quebec and have to do some things before I can get back up there, but thanks Dennis and Matt for making sure we know.

I am excited as it has been a long time since I was in Longlac.

Talked with the group that rode in from Greenstone to Hearst yesterday.  They said the trail west of Pagwa (green section) is starting to shape up nicely.  The trail east of Pagwa is a little rough as can be expected for only 1 pass with the groomer on a trail that hasn't been open in years.   Despite no fuel being available they said most made it without using extra fuel (all newer sleds) but they took their time doing some trail work along the way.  Once the trail gets done another time or 2 it should be nice.  Hopefully it will get some use, will help if people start to venture further west from Cochrane to relieve some of the pressure on the trails there.  

6 hours ago, matt17 said:

Talked with the group that rode in from Greenstone to Hearst yesterday.  They said the trail west of Pagwa (green section) is starting to shape up nicely.  The trail east of Pagwa is a little rough as can be expected for only 1 pass with the groomer on a trail that hasn't been open in years.   Despite no fuel being available they said most made it without using extra fuel (all newer sleds) but they took their time doing some trail work along the way.  Once the trail gets done another time or 2 it should be nice.  Hopefully it will get some use, will help if people start to venture further west from Cochrane to relieve some of the pressure on the trails there.  

How far approx would it be from Hearst to greenstone one way? 

21 minutes ago, matt17 said:

They said 240km.  

Fuel and lodging in green stone? 

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Yes and Yes

19 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Several gas stations in Geraldton and Longlac.  Not sure about accommodations in Longlac, but Between Bridges Motel is the place to stay and eat in Geraldton.

20 hours ago, matt17 said:

They said 240km.  

Using the OFSC trip planner it comes up with approx 275km. I say approx because there is a small stretch on Top A west of the A/D108A junction the trip planner that will not let you use when planning a trip. You have to create 2 trips(1 on either side of this unusable section) and add them up plus the small unusable section.

Hearst---> A/D108A junction(Mooseland)   75km

A/D108A junction(Mooseland)---> Geraldton    200km

Hearst---> Longlac     235km

Hearst---> Calstock     50 km (check for gas avaiability @ norm's gas bar 705 463-2203)

Calstock---> Longlac    185km

Norm's gas bar hours

Monday 10a.m.–10p.m.
Tuesday 10a.m.–10p.m.
Wednesday 10a.m.–10p.m.
Thursday 10a.m.–10p.m.
Friday 10a.m.–10p.m.
Saturday 10a.m.–8p.m.
Sunday 10a.m.–8p.m

20 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Yes and Yes

Awesome hoping to head that way soon.

2 hours ago, 30cal4me said:

Using the OFSC trip planner it comes up with approx 275km. I say approx because there is a small stretch on Top A west of the A/D108A junction the trip planner that will not let you use when planning a trip. You have to create 2 trips(1 on either side of this unusable section) and add them up plus the small unusable section.

I was there and they said EXACTLY 240 km ... but I am going to reach out to see if any of the riders had made a GPX file of their trip, and park it over my BackCountry Navigator map of the trails, to see if any reroutes were made.

8 hours ago, 30cal4me said:

Hearst---> Longlac     235km

Hearst---> Calstock     50 km (check for gas avaiability @ norm's gas bar 705 463-2203)

Calstock---> Longlac    185km

You would be correct that Hearst to Geraldton would be 275 km.  Longlac is about 30-40 km east of Geraldton and has fuel and lodging.  The group we were talking with came from Longlac.  

5 hours ago, Wildman said:

Does Longlac groom that whole trail or do they share it with either Hornpayne or Hearst?

Longlac will groom as far as Pagwa, and Hearst does the same.

Anyone on this trail lately and is it seeing much traffic? 

1 hour ago, The Groomer Guy said:

Scott and I are headed there March 15th, Leaving Dubreuilville then overnight in Hearst then next day to Longlac.   We will have a full report.  :)

Great do you think week after march break riding will be ok? 

17 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Great do you think week after march break riding will be ok? 

Way out there march break don't change anything, not manu people out there on that trail, the only concern I have is if we get snow, we can get in trouble with gas. 

• 2 weeks later...

Last weekend we finally made it to Longlac and Geraldton on the reconnected A trail. 

Groomer Guy, Canuck, 2 friends, and myself left Dubreuilville on Thursday at 2:00pm for Hearst.  5 hours later we gassed in Hearst and knew that Canuck should have more than 1 gallon of extra fuel.  He ran and picked up a bigger twin can which Luc carried on his now “super tanker” as he referred to his sled. 

Friday morning we stopped in at Calstock to calm our fears of the unknown long trail without fuel. 

We took it easy to once again calm the anxiety. 

My XF-8000 Cat (160 mile range) made it to Longlac without any additional fuel.  The ZR-7000 Cat 4-stroke (140 mile range) also made it without more fuel.  The SkiDoo 850 Renegade did not take gas at Calstock and had to put fuel on the trail.  I think it would have made it if he had filled at Calstock.  Both Canuck and Luc needed some fuel on their 4-stroke machines. A ZR-5000 Cat and a Yamaha Venture Super Tanker. 

We took a ride to Geraldton before dinner back at Longlac. 

Saturday was the longest trail of the trip without fuel.  About 157 miles from Longlac to Hornepayne direct. 

We all added fuel. I put 2 gallons at the warming hut by Hwy 11 as did Kip on the ZR-7000. 

The Skidoo used his full 3.9 gallon can while the super tanker emptied both big cans into the other 4-strokes. 

After the refill all were able to put the thumbs to the bar as needed. 

Getting to Hornepayne was not even an issue if you carry some extra fuel. 

Luc has better pictures and once again most of mine will not load?

The OPP checked trail passes and our breath in Hornepayne which we were happy about. 

I will go again ASAP. 

GREAT TRAILS!

234598AC-DE66-4B09-A362-74E14C665625.jpeg

CF4ACDCD-FB7E-4D1B-9FDE-2C35FC83E07A.jpeg

138D2BF1-B558-4F80-9867-346C32BA3A94.jpeg

043FECC3-DBE1-41DD-9165-AFC3EF10312C.jpeg

89FD4350-39AA-48C2-8D52-D8D6F17423C1.jpeg

A1B6CD22-BD47-4B57-8CC5-56459CEEFA72.jpeg

E62FF6A7-55F2-4EC9-8D79-505C7AC7D852.jpeg

F70E15E3-A7A5-41B0-9D07-24B50467964A.jpeg

1FDAF014-E38A-4EA7-9C8A-A152994E5217.jpeg

52A12BB5-B412-4405-8800-833CBDC5149C.jpeg

Looks like you had a good trip.  I passed you guys about 30 km south of Hornepayne, solo rider on a Summit with a shovel strapped to the back, probably stuck out like a sore thumb :D .  

Denis and I have discussed trying to do the trip to Longlac at some point this year too, quick one day trip though, meet at warmup hut, ride to longlac and return.  I feel like my problem will be resisting the urge to burn excess gas taking the direct route up some of those gullies.  

Trying to tell by the picture, did you meet our groomer at the river?  

Nice little report!

When we did the Greenstone Loop, we were running 2 stokes. Topped up in Calstock & Klotz Lake. Any idea how much gas you had when you rolled into Longlac?

We did the loop north to Nakina in the morning, filled up in Longlac before heading for M'wadge. 

How many seasons was the trail open thru to Marathon?

How many seasons was the trail open thru to Marathon?

That was "open" back in '96/'97 when I started running up that way. The trail was ALWAYS open late doo to every trail cut accrost a swamp, a river (Pic),  or a lake back at that time.  As well, there are many years when the north shore just doesn't git the snow. We were the first ones through (so to speak at least) on some of those trails up through there in early Feb. The groomer may have only "packed" the trails even at that time.

Of course they had limited help too, with HIGHLY topographical features!

Of course they stopped during The Crash at some point. 

I'd bet it was open prox 15 years tho...

It's interesting that the newly opened trail up top is not a skidoo trail anymore tho.

... and there's more Frenchies in that area than anywhere else in the province too!

Who'duh thunk?

Sorry OX, I should've been more specific, I was meaning the trail from Longlac thru M'wadge to TOP D

7 hours ago, matt17 said:

Trying to tell by the picture, did you meet our groomer at the river?  

I recall the solo rider.

Yep..met groomer at the river. Groomer operator did a fantastic job. 

IMG_20180317_165146.jpg

Archived