revrnd

4 hours ago, Luther said:

Can you still get gas at Klotz lake?  We got it there years ago

See this tread in the main clubhouse section                

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

No gas yet, one tank and no pumps.  Don't hold your breath.

Why would they do only part of instal? Red tape holding it up or they changed their minds? 

20 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Why would they do only part of instal? Red tape holding it up or they changed their minds? 

Who knows... maybe they ran out of money......

there is this new invention, called the phone... almost instant gratification. :D Ski

where is Akron Orange when we need him? he was REALLY GOOD FRIENDS, WITH KLOTZ LAKE CAMP. ski

My ITG is showing “green” from the Hwy 11 intersection about half the distance to the west toward Longlac this morning!

11 minutes ago, AC+YA said:

My ITG is showing “green” from the Hwy 11 intersection about half the distance to the west toward Longlac this morning!

It was a couple of weeks ago for a couple of days... I'm not sure how true it is .... 

calstock it is.

or carry enough fuel for 162 MILES (plus a cushion, plan 175, more if deep snow or sled troubles). Last time we did this it was 55 TRAIL MILES from hearst pumps to bambino's (mooseland, 631 hwy 11 corner), then from bambino's to klotz lake camp (moot point now) it was 70 MILES, klotz lake camp to pumps in longlac 37 MILES. add, for deep powder, playing, missing a turn ect... it's a loooooong damn way with no fuel.

162 miles or more, with the detour to calstock, you can trim some, give yourself a cushion but, not alot.  Ski

• 3 weeks later...

I'm still waiting to see it open.  Guess we will see.

I will plan to try Marathon via the D trail again this year if the A to Longloc never gets open.

I saw that they may be getting the kinks out of the D trail west of Dub.  Think there is logging where the yellow section is before getting to Hwy 17.

As an aside I did 233 km on 33L of gas with my MXz 800 on Thursday....meaning that I could do it without extra gas ... not that I would leave the gas can at home..

On 2018-01-31 at 10:06 PM, Denis007 said:

As an aside I did 233 km on 33L of gas with my MXz 800 on Thursday....meaning that I could do it without extra gas ... not that I would leave the gas can at home..

Etecs are good have gotten well over 300 km on 600 on northern trails. 

Was talking to some folks in geraldton, and they said the link between hearst and lonlac likely wont open this year as they are having some issues with some local land owners - so hopefully they will be able to open that section at some point!

I heard that a bridge was inspected and failed.  Perhaps a re-route needed land permission?  Sad after so much was put into trying to get it open again.

On 1/11/2018 at 12:06 PM, 700renegade said:

This is all great news.

I've logged tens of thousands of miles in northern Ontario since my first exposure in a trip around Lake Superior in '99.  I'm tickled that the Foleyet connection came back and now if only Manitowadge......  ( I can dream right?)  

Too bad a city as big as Thunder Bay can't find a few passionate souls to anchor the west end of a system that could feed all the Minnesota guys into Hearst for a stay.  There is a pile of riders with money in the Minneapolis to Duluth corridor.  That Nipigon to Marathon route was something everyone should have crossed off their bucket list. 

I may consider the leg out to Longlac this year, but it's pretty uneventful on the gas easement to just turn around and double back the next morning. 

Hopefully someone will update us on the gas situation at the old Mooseland  intersection, as that will affect how troublesome it is to head west from there.

If CN's former Kinghorn Sub' was converted to a rec trail, it would include all the scenery w/o the rugged trail conditions. Just a dream in my head LOL

On 1/15/2018 at 3:55 PM, skidooboy said:

calstock it is.

or carry enough fuel for 162 MILES (plus a cushion, plan 175, more if deep snow or sled troubles). Last time we did this it was 55 TRAIL MILES from hearst pumps to bambino's (mooseland, 631 hwy 11 corner), then from bambino's to klotz lake camp (moot point now) it was 70 MILES, klotz lake camp to pumps in longlac 37 MILES. add, for deep powder, playing, missing a turn ect... it's a loooooong damn way with no fuel.

162 miles or more, with the detour to calstock, you can trim some, give yourself a cushion but, not alot.  Ski

We ran from Hearst to Geraldton in '09. Our sleds were 2 500SS REVs, my 600 SDI & an '08 Apex

Hearst to Calstock 33 miles (fill)

Calstock to Klotz Lake (moot) 100 miles (fill)

Klotz Lake to Geraldton 54 miles (fill) We didn't think it was necessary to fill up in Longlac so soon after Klotz Lake

We had a bit of backtracking @ the time due to crossing of Peanut Creek being out. If we had any trail breaking, it wasn't that bad. M'wadge to White River later that trip was running thru about 8" of fresh snow the whole section.

22 hours ago, revrnd said:

If CN's former Kinghorn Sub' was converted to a rec trail, it would include all the scenery w/o the rugged trail conditions. Just a dream in my head LOL

The Kinghorn sub. only gets you from Thunder Bay to Nipigon, then it heads north to Beardmore and Geraldton and beyond.

Nipigon to Marathon was the money trail. Gnarly hills, awesome views of Superior, and power line powder to play in. Not enough permit buyers here to keep it viable though.  Only kids with mountain and crossover sleds, and old farts like me who just use the sleds to go fishing and hunting. 

2 hours ago, Bucking Pig said:

The Kinghorn sub. only gets you from Thunder Bay to Nipigon, then it heads north to Beardmore and Geraldton and beyond.

Nipigon to Marathon was the money trail. Gnarly hills, awesome views of Superior, and power line powder to play in. Not enough permit buyers here to keep it viable though.  Only kids with mountain and crossover sleds, and old farts like me who just use the sleds to go fishing and hunting. 

I'm glad someone is paying attention to my rambling. LOL

I guess I was thinking more along the line of reopening TOP A.

• 2 weeks later...

I was THIS CLOSE to going this morning to open it, had a honey do list.... had I read that last night it would have been done by now. 

Seems they cancelled today due to the snow East of here, I guess they got more than us. 

Archived