Geraldton/Greenstone Reconnected

revrnd

Ox, I gotta believe that 90% or more of your report is on point.  I wasn't riding when those trails were open so I can't argue. 

However Longlac has been working their arses off keeping their trails open despite being isolated from the world.  I can't see myself NOT riding that trail at least 2 or 3 times this winter. Poor bastages need some fresh blood on their snow.  Gonna do what I can to bring a few hardy souls with me.

And if it's true that the Hornepayne connection might happen, be a great thing. Personally I'd rather see Manitouwadge be the midway point of the run instead of Hillsport for the fuel and accommodations. Plenty of logging roads can be converted over there and if it's hard packed or ice , we've got scratchers for that.  (The lack of a club kinda buggers up that dream...)

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Ox, I gotta believe that 90% or more of your report is on point.  I wasn't riding when those trails were open so I can't argue. 

However Longlac has been working their arses off keeping their trails open despite being isolated from the world.  I can't see myself NOT riding that trail at least 2 or 3 times this winter. Poor bastages need some fresh blood on their snow.  Gonna do what I can to bring a few hardy souls with me.

And if it's true that the Hornepayne connection might happen, be a great thing. Personally I'd rather see Manitouwadge be the midway point of the run instead of Hillsport for the fuel and accommodations. Plenty of logging roads can be converted over there and if it's hard packed or ice , we've got scratchers for that.  (The lack of a club kinda buggers up that dream...)

Ill be one of those hardy souls Denis.. We will be seeing you soon.B)

X2!

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

From groomer guy lucs facebook page. Today in longlac from a logging company..:-o

22770754_314700822341540_3516490253195227209_o.jpg

Gassed up at the Canadian tire Gas bar ... saw quite a few piles of slush at the pumps... Likely from over that way ... 

15088950093341091676616.thumb.jpg.dca051d097b650477d6ccc5156e6ec9f.jpg

Snow in the street lights... and on the garage roof ...

1508895206749568883130.thumb.jpg.f1331d2538fee4f034f16563e2fbe6cd.jpg

It's just started for us.  If all the rain we got since overnight yesterday had been snow, there'd be 3 feet of it....

11 hours ago, Ox said:

I love the trails around Marathon, but even with all of the enthusiasm, any trails west of the Soo to Hearst line will never be justifiable unless Thunder Bay has a change of heart. The town is just not skidoo friendly, and thus apparently hardly anyone from there rides. IFAIK we have one guy here from T/B, and that is the ONLY guy that I can recall EVER posting from T/B. They must all spend their time curling and drinking over there to go out and play in the snow...

Lots of Finns in Thunder Bay.....

• 2 weeks later...

Have been hearing differing opinions on the status of this trail for the winter, will be interesting to see what happens.  I do know the district is transferring what was our Pisten Bully to the Longlac club and we will be getting what was the district "spare" tractor unit in return.  Looks like I will learn how to run one of the tractor units.  

Oh yay ... poor you guys .... tractors are for farmers not grooming... they're gonna get a major upgrade though....

Groomer guy Luc will have plenty of tips for you.... 

It shouldn't be too bad, we will still have the husky which while older has way less hours (was 10 years old with 70 hours on it when we got it 2 years ago) so we will still have a snocat style groomer to do most of the work breaking trails.  The tractor is supposed to be faster and lay down a harder trail once the hard work of opening trails is done.  We will see, my furry copilot will be disappointed, she much preferred the passenger seat in the Pisten.  

27F5E097-87A7-42AE-B61C-2170E8A85C00.jpeg

10 yrs @ 70 hrs?

Must be something lost in the metric conversion somehow?

20 minutes ago, Ox said:

10 yrs @ 70 hrs?

Must be something lost in the metric conversion somehow?

Nope, Interesting story on it from what we were told.  The Shop in Sudbury bought it used from a telecom company in Nevada, apparently they only used it for emergency access to some of their towers.  Then they refurbished it and added all the necessary upgrades for trail grooming and then sold it to our district which assigned it to us.  I think it is up to 6-700 hours now after the past 2 years use by us.  

Yep often my copilot. I schedule most of my grooming shifts when my wife works nights so I take her along. As you can tell she is a hard worker, but gets tired easily. 

11BF7697-7233-4B13-9FFD-27C4C1FAFE0B.jpeg

1D530125-32C8-413A-B657-C125D7694C82.jpeg

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Love the pics!!!  I'm a dog lover like you I'm always amazed at the feeling a dog can give you.

x2

Figured I would update this.  Longlac club picked up what was our Pisten Bully yesterday.  Gave him a quick lesson in running it then off it went on the float.  Hope they can put it to good use this year.  He was saying they already have the snow.  

On ‎2017‎-‎09‎-‎07 at 10:10 PM, matt17 said:

If you notice the article is from last year.  They did complete the brushing last winter but by the time it was done we never got the snow required to cover the cut brush to get the trail open.  Not sure what the plan is for this year.  Would assume (but we all know what that means) that it will reopening this year since the brushing has been done.  

Then the brush re-grew this summer lol     The brush has been bad the last 2 to 3 years, perfect weather for it to grow.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

I see some yellow out past the hornepayne cutoff from Hearst. Oh yah.. Its coming...:D:drool-1::icon_steer::evil2::icon_hyper::right_on:

That yellow part, if accurate, takes you to Pagwa just past where we hunt moose.  Sure is looking good though !!

This is all great news.

I've logged tens of thousands of miles in northern Ontario since my first exposure in a trip around Lake Superior in '99.  I'm tickled that the Foleyet connection came back and now if only Manitowadge......  ( I can dream right?)  

Too bad a city as big as Thunder Bay can't find a few passionate souls to anchor the west end of a system that could feed all the Minnesota guys into Hearst for a stay.  There is a pile of riders with money in the Minneapolis to Duluth corridor.  That Nipigon to Marathon route was something everyone should have crossed off their bucket list. 

I may consider the leg out to Longlac this year, but it's pretty uneventful on the gas easement to just turn around and double back the next morning. 

Hopefully someone will update us on the gas situation at the old Mooseland  intersection, as that will affect how troublesome it is to head west from there.

No gas yet, one tank and no pumps.  Don't hold your breath.

Archived