Geraldton/Greenstone Reconnected

revrnd

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you notice the article is from last year.  They did complete the brushing last winter but by the time it was done we never got the snow required to cover the cut brush to get the trail open.  Not sure what the plan is for this year.  Would assume (but we all know what that means) that it will reopening this year since the brushing has been done.  

Kris, that article was from February of this year. not sure if that actually opened or not, and or what the situation will be like for 2018. Denis would know more. I really hope it would open... with more travelers, all they would need to do is link longlac to marathon, via manitouwadge, and the old district 16, and most of the superior loop challenge would be open. it would definitely open up more possibilities for day riding, weekend loops, for regional and local sledders. a step in the right direction, for the region. Ski

matt and I were posting at the same time. LOL! :D Ski

As per my boss and club exec, grooming should commence as soon as there's snow.  Now in which pecking order that trail is I can't say .... but for all intents and purposes, it's a go.

25 minutes ago, IQ TURBO said:

We are defiantly going to try it out this season, as long as its a go..

I kept watching and hoping for it last season.  Ran up to Hearst from Dub a couple times last season and always think about it when we make the turn next to Hwy 11. 

Looks to be about 106 miles from the turn to Longlac gas.  Or you could go 22 miles east to Calstock and turn back making it about 130 miles on a full tank.  The 45 miles extra from Hearst means a total of about 170 miles from Hearst direct to Longlac.

I'm ready and will make plans as soon as it is open.  I think I'm going to be coming from a nice night in Hearst when we first do it, but have extra gas so we can make the turn and head straight down to Hornepayne on the return to an always great stay in Dubreuilville.  The Relais Magpie Relay is truly a 5 star Snowmobile Motel with heated garage.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, gobills said:

looks like a very cool trail to go on.  Would love to get on it some day.  Is that picture in the article of the lynx from ZRCAT on the forum??  If so thats pretty cool!!

I believe he was the one that took that pic. It is really cool. Hope to see one this winter. 

• 1 month later...

AC+YA. I was at the Toronto Sled show today and got some updates from the district 15 governor. Trail work is almost complete for the section out towards Geraldton from Hearst.  Trails will be open all the way through to Geraldton this season. Gas in Calstock and also 91 octane available at Klotz lake, and best of all they have a guy working on putting pumps and a small building similar setup to dubeurville at the old truck stop/gas station at hwy 11 before turning south towards Hornepayne for this season. Then he wants to open up a restaurant also if all goes well. Sounds like longlac has half decent accommodations and food and fuel. He also stated they are  looking at opening up from Geraldton/longlac down to Hornepayne for another loop. The trail out to longlac will have a small detour out to run near the hwy to avoid a old deteriorating bridge for this season only. Next year a new bridge will be installed. Just not enough time this year to get done..I was really impressed with the conversation and the hard work happening to open this all back up. Looking forward to making the run this year. 

The fuel you're talking about at Mooseland is far from completed, but it's a start.  One tank is sitting on the footings (no pumps attached), with 2 more cement footings ready for 2 more tanks.  If this is going to open this fall, they've got work to do.  I don't see it happening for this season.  It's encouraging for sure, but they've got a long way to go.

We were thru Longlac yesterday by coincidence, it's a pretty little town.  Buildings look very nice, the main drag is neat with a separated 2-lane setup.  The motels look clean from the outside, fuel next door.  It was a quick in-and-out to fuel up and come home.  We'll make a point of going out just for a drive this fall, just to visit the town in more detail.

IQ Turbo, Who was it you were talking to (D15 governor) ?

4 hours ago, Denis007 said:

The fuel you're talking about at Mooseland is far from completed, but it's a start.  One tank is sitting on the footings (no pumps attached), with 2 more cement footings ready for 2 more tanks.  If this is going to open this fall, they've got work to do.  I don't see it happening for this season.  It's encouraging for sure, but they've got a long way to go.

We were thru Longlac yesterday by coincidence, it's a pretty little town.  Buildings look very nice, the main drag is neat with a separated 2-lane setup.  The motels look clean from the outside, fuel next door.  It was a quick in-and-out to fuel up and come home.  We'll make a point of going out just for a drive this fall, just to visit the town in more detail.

IQ Turbo, Who was it you were talking to (D15 governor) ?

Not exactly sure WHO it was. But he said he was district 15 governor/director..He was at the district 15 booth..

On 9/18/2017 at 10:47 AM, gobills said:

looks like a very cool trail to go on.  Would love to get on it some day.  Is that picture in the article of the lynx from ZRCAT on the forum??  If so thats pretty cool!!

I seen that they used my pic for that :)

On 9/18/2017 at 8:22 PM, Viperules700 said:

I believe he was the one that took that pic. It is really cool. Hope to see one this winter. 

I di take that photo I remember there where 2 lynx close to the trail we stopped and the one crossed right in front of me :)

2 hours ago, IQ TURBO said:

Not exactly sure WHO it was. But he said he was district 15 governor/director..He was at the district 15 booth..

I guess Candace jumped ship ... 

I hope it all works out and will try to join in for a ride to Longlac this season when it opens.  Will be interesting to hear their plans for a trail from Longlac/geraldton down to us.  For a variety of reasons we had no attendance at the District AGM this fall.  

I will admit I am not optimistic about the further connection as we continue to have volunteer issues due to the standard range of factors (burnout, age of volunteers, health of volunteers, due to age, lack of interest) that challenge us to just keep up with our 140km of TOP connector trail from Hwy 11 south to Luc's trails let alone any of our local trails, which while not well used are vital to maintaining a positive view of the club in town and possible volunteer recruitment.  

It would be great to have a loop like that to do but I just have a hard time trying to figure the logistics of it out.  

1 hour ago, matt17 said:

I hope it all works out and will try to join in for a ride to Longlac this season when it opens.  Will be interesting to hear their plans for a trail from Longlac/geraldton down to us.  For a variety of reasons we had no attendance at the District AGM this fall.  

I will admit I am not optimistic about the further connection as we continue to have volunteer issues due to the standard range of factors (burnout, age of volunteers, health of volunteers, due to age, lack of interest) that challenge us to just keep up with our 140km of TOP connector trail from Hwy 11 south to Luc's trails let alone any of our local trails, which while not well used are vital to maintaining a positive view of the club in town and possible volunteer recruitment.  

It would be great to have a loop like that to do but I just have a hard time trying to figure the logistics of it out.  

I had asked similar questions to him yesterday at the show.  He was more than excited to share the news with me. So i guess we will see. I hope for the best, and wish all involved the best of luck. I will do what i can, and that's to ride the trails and support the local businesses. 

Great to hear all the excitement about getting it open this year along Hwy 11.  Great info guys.

I would guess if it were to link back to Hornepayne direct it would just use the track from the past to Hillsport.  It still shows the trail to Caramat which use to continue over to Hillspor  The "Hillsport Hilton" had gas and was kept open back then, but I think the folks running it in the winter moved on and the owner was going south for the winters.  Just not busy enough to make it worth keeping open.  I liked that ride.

I would love to see the Long Lake route opened again to loop down to Terrance Bay and back to Marathon , or back down through Manitouwadge and down to Marathon to really make a great loop out of it.

At this point, just to be able to get to Longlac and Geraldton and back will be great!  I rode from Sault Ste. Marie to Marathon and back last season with my daughter.  Great long weekend!  The trail west of White River has some hills and beautiful views.  Plan to make that run again this year.  Spent nights in Chapleau, White River, Dub, and Halfway Haven.

Hope to spend a few nights in Longlac this year too.

I think you meant to say you and Paige, went from the soo to marathon, Scott. the manitouwadge portion of the link is not open, and is what will be the BIG FACTOR, in re-establishing the link from longlac to marathon, or hornepayne.

with no fuel stop in hillsport, it will not work for sledders. it is 65 MILES from hillsport to hornepayne, and approx. 80 miles from longlac to hillsport.  that entire area hasn't saw a brush, or groom maintence in close to 10 years. they will be starting over from scratch.

the man power, and money to fix the bridges, culverts, signage and re-routes contending with logging will be a tough row to hoe.

with that said, I wish them luck, and would love to go back to that area again. Ski

2 hours ago, AC+YA said:

Great to hear all the excitement about getting it open this year along Hwy 11.  Great info guys.

I would guess if it were to link back to Hornepayne direct it would just use the track from the past to Hillsport.  It still shows the trail to Caramat which use to continue over to Hillspor  The "Hillsport Hilton" had gas and was kept open back then, but I think the folks running it in the winter moved on and the owner was going south for the winters.  Just not busy enough to make it worth keeping open.  I liked that ride.

I would love to see the Long Lake route opened again to loop down to Terrance Bay and back to Marathon , or back down through Manitouwadge and down to Marathon to really make a great loop out of it.

At this point, just to be able to get to Longlac and Geraldton and back will be great!  I rode from Sault Ste. Marie to Manitouwadge and back last season with my daughter.  Great long weekend!  The trail west of White River has some hills and beautiful views.  Plan to make that run again this year.  Spent nights in Chapleau, White River, Dub, and Halfway Haven.

Hope to spend a few nights in Longlac this year too.

Scott, the gentlemen at the show did say about running the old  trail down through Hilllsport.  So heres hoping. Were planning on doing longlac from Hearst also. Hoping to see some fellow ocers around.. 

1 hour ago, skidooboy said:

I think you meant to say you and Paige, went from the soo to marathon, Scott. the manitouwadge portion of the link is not open, and is what will be the BIG FACTOR, in re-establishing the link from longlac to marathon, or hornepayne.

with no fuel stop in hillsport, it will not work for sledders. it is 65 MILES from hillsport to hornepayne, and approx. 80 miles from longlac to hillsport.  that entire area hasn't saw a brush, or groom maintence in close to 10 years. they will be starting over from scratch.

the man power, and money to fix the bridges, culverts, signage and re-routes contending with logging will be a tough row to hoe.

with that said, I wish them luck, and would love to go back to that area again. Ski

Thanks ski,

Yes, you are correct.  I fixed it now.

I agree it is a dream at this point to wish for a "loop".  Just being able to go back over to Longlac will be great!  Last year it was fantastic to run over to Marathon and will do it again this year when the trail is open.

A great trip from Dub going to either.  All of that west is great to have open again!  Could have used your help breaking parts of the trail open west of White River last year.  It was weeks and a big storm since the last sleds went through, so those hills were a challenge as were many miles of 2 foot deep untouched powder.  A lot of work to bust it all open again last season, so should be much faster this year.

Maybe will see you guys riding those bikes around Dub this season.  If not I will stop by your house and say hi.

What's your new truck look like so I know when to stop?  Did you go Krown or something else for rust?

Take care.

Scott  

1 hour ago, IQ TURBO said:

Scott, the gentlemen at the show did say about running the old  trail down through Hilllsport.  So heres hoping. Were planning on doing longlac from Hearst also. Hoping to see some fellow ocers around.. 

PM me when you think your making that ride from Hearst and we may try to join you.  We try to get up that way and stay around Dub quite a bit.

1 hour ago, AC+YA said:

Thanks ski,

Yes, you are correct.  I fixed it now.

I agree it is a dream at this point to wish for a "loop".  Just being able to go back over to Longlac will be great!  Last year it was fantastic to run over to Marathon and will do it again this year when the trail is open.

A great trip from Dub going to either.  All of that west is great to have open again!  Could have used your help breaking parts of the trail open west of White River last year.  It was weeks and a big storm since the last sleds went through, so those hills were a challenge as were many miles of 2 foot deep untouched powder.  A lot of work to bust it all open again last season, so should be much faster this year.

Maybe will see you guys riding those bikes around Dub this season.  If not I will stop by your house and say hi.

What's your new truck look like so I know when to stop?  Did you go Krown or something else for rust?

Take care.

Scott  

truck looks the same... big white gmc crew cab. :D if there are cars, or sleds in the driveway, we will be there. we are loosely planning on being up all of xmas, new years week. I bought the fluid film install kit on amazon and I am doing it myself. you can buy the spray cans at lowes. but, the kit gives you a tiny diameter long tube wand that goes on the spray can top, that reaches into the bottom of the doors, rockers, tail gate ect... the big spray gun, and wand will work well for the big areas underneath. it's getting close. I am betting warm lake temps will contribute to high lake effect early in the season. Ski

I love the trails around Marathon, but even with all of the enthusiasm, any trails west of the Soo to Hearst line will never be justifiable unless Thunder Bay has a change of heart. The town is just not skidoo friendly, and thus apparently hardly anyone from there rides. IFAIK we have one guy here from T/B, and that is the ONLY guy that I can recall EVER posting from T/B. They must all spend their time curling and drinking over there to go out and play in the snow...

???

Point being that D west of Wawa, and for sure west of White River, and A trail west of Mooseland hardly ever saw a snowmachine - even back in the heydays of the early 2000's. The locals don't ride that far from home, other than the occassional poker run to the intersection of the two clubs and back, and the Yanks simply are not plunking down $200/sled to go that far north. 

Terrace Bay would be lucky to be open by early Feb on a  good year, whether it be from lack of interest, or weather issues. If the motel jockies aren't willing to sit their assets in the groomers and brush trails in the fall, then they shouldn't expect the Yanks to come. And there really isn't much of anything at all between Hearst and T/B. It's just out on the gas line, so it is wide open and safe I guess. Close to the hwy if you find yourself in a jackpot... But hardly a nice ride through the bush.

If we can keep everything up through Hornepayne and east open, you better feel good about that. 

I really don't see these other communities ever reaping the benefits, and a resurgance in interest will be sqworshed quickly with no traffic. 

So you fella's that aint been that way, and those of you that have and liked it, you better gitcher assets up there as soon as you hear that it is open, but make sure of where to stay is open. 

Again - District 16 didn't see Jack for traffic in the heydays....

Archived