Hey Trail Map

Dave K

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone here have the inside scoop on the new web map?

Is it a WIP or is this the final product? 

Do you need to be online for it to work? Can you download sections?

My older Samsung G3 doesn't load any map functionality. Just zoom in, zoom out. Scrolls really quick, but it's just a map. My phone, my Android version or the map itself?

Are waypoints for trip routing going to be a feature?

Is GPS tracking going to be a feature? We can find it when it's loaded on an Iphone.

I don't like it !!! I can't seem to plan out my own route !!! I don't always want to travel the shortest distance !!! The previous interactive trail map was more interactive, at least you were able to highlight your own route. Ohh Well back to paper maps and a calculator for me !!!! I hope all the clubs will be at the show this year so I can get paper maps and start planning some trips. Grrrrrr !!! 

Not a fan of it at all.  The start finish icon is great if you could edit your route to get to the finish.  Zooming in is great but the old style was better for planning routes.

unlike the OFSC to bugger up something that worked fine 

If you click on various trails at a fairly close zoom rate(at least in Chrome on a desk top) mileages (miles and kilometers) do come up. They do not get added up as was the case previously. Maybe they are working toward this .

9 minutes ago, slomo said:

If you click on various trails at a fairly close zoom rate(at least in Chrome on a desk top) mileages (miles and kilometers) do come up. They do not get added up as was the case previously. Maybe they are working toward this .

They do get added up, but it seems back to map tab is blocking it on my view. Is this where you are seeing the mileage? 

Screenshot_20171014-182415.thumb.png.a3bc84dbdf95b1ed6d3634cbfeec43cc.pngScreenshot_20171014-182433.thumb.png.d96d2912e25bb5dfd0ed98feb2b6b8a8.png

1 hour ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

They do get added up, but it seems back to map tab is blocking it on my view. Is this where you are seeing the mileage? 

Screenshot_20171014-182415.thumb.png.a3bc84dbdf95b1ed6d3634cbfeec43cc.pngScreenshot_20171014-182433.thumb.png.d96d2912e25bb5dfd0ed98feb2b6b8a8.png

Yes it works great for that but if you don't want to go that specific route it's garbage.

12 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

This would be opposed to the Start / Stop option -

On a desktop - using Chrome browser (Firefox / Explorer don't have all the map features for some reason) you can click on one section of trail -  and the mileage shows up as below:

59e3314091808_trail01.png.a0ea8bc9635da5b8b0f09c3caf78cdbf.png

But clicking on the next trail segment deletes the first segment you clicked -

59e3314a6d49f_trail02.png.11d4b1a4aa2823b0f5a6344b20f6f602.png

I guess you need a pencil and paper or a calculator to do a final total calculation. It would seem fairly easy to bring this up to speed by adding a running total to the program as in the last version.

As mentioned above, same company doing Ontario and New Brunswick maps - seems on the N.B. maps they have not been able to add cumulative mileage on that map either -

nb01.png.8cd04e38f45759b95282b427f10f29c9.png

nb02.png.cd9e0192c3a4b6c9464e06f06ad401a6.png

Let's hope we have the option of collapsing the large white rectangle that takes up the left side of the viewing screen. 

That really is unfortunate that you cannot manually plan your route, creates a lot of work to calculate total mileage when trying to plan a route other than the shortest one by default...damn!

20 hours ago, gobills said:

Yes it works great for that but if you don't want to go that specific route it's garbage.

For all the time it took to implement you would think it would be enhancements to the existing ITG rather than abandon what was working so well and start from scratch. My initial visit I had the options to change the map base and so much more. When I went back a second time all I got was the map and zoom in or out. I tried Google Chrome and had to agree to terms and conditions again but was able to get what seems to be the same functionality I had on the first visit. Like you I want to plan out my own route rather than just drag and drop a start and an end then get the shortest route. Maybe I want to avoid running roads, wet spots and swamps, or have a lunch stop on the way. The shortest route won't necessarily give me what I want. So far my vote is to abandon the new and go back to the old.

Apart from that it took a ridiculously long time to develop and release.

3 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

For all the time it took to implement you would think it would be enhancements to the existing ITG rather than abandon what was working so well and start from scratch. My initial visit I had the options to change the map base and so much more. When I went back a second time all I got was the map and zoom in or out. I tried Google Chrome and had to agree to terms and conditions again but was able to get what seems to be the same functionality I had on the first visit. Like you I want to plan out my own route rather than just drag and drop a start and an end then get the shortest route. Maybe I want to avoid running roads, wet spots and swamps, or have a lunch stop on the way. The shortest route won't necessarily give me what I want. So far my vote is to abandon the new and go back to the old.

Apart from that it took a ridiculously long time to develop and release.

I agree. If they would have just added the total distance and directions for the route you pick, it would have been an improvement.

I like the new look of the map. Loosing the side box would be a nice option. I was also hoping to see names of smaller towns when zoomed out or offer a check box to add or remove town names. 

It would also be nice to have an add points along the route to help plot custom routes and round trips. Shouldn't be hard for a good IT person to figure out.

Still no word if we need a live connect for it to work eh? I'm thinking the answer is a yes which really makes the thing kinda pointless.

Lets hope the roll out to district and club admins goes well and the promised ease and speed of trail conditions updates come true.

The new program is using OpenStreetMaps as the base map as opposed to GoogleMaps.  If you could add via points, it would be much nicer.  IIRC, this is the functionality that the Quebec interactive map had about six or seven years ago.  Their new one is different.

On 10/15/2017 at 9:04 PM, sledjunk said:

The new program is using OpenStreetMaps as the base map as opposed to GoogleMaps.

Sadly the ability to go to Google Maps from the OFSC trails - and then to street view if you wanted to see where something in particular (motel, restaurant, street crossing etc. ) was situated no longer exists on the new map. Will miss it. Also the hybrid sat map on the earlier version was much better - roads, trails, physical appearance.

Should we have a pinned topic on this? People with interface issues could list device, OS and problem. People can also note the hits and misses. Give the link to that marketing@ofsc email addy. Could be quicker for them compared to a flooded inbox of the same issues and/or compliments-complaints.. 

13 hours ago, slomo said:

Sadly the ability to go to Google Maps from the OFSC trails - and then to street view if you wanted to see where something in particular (motel, restaurant, street crossing etc. ) was situated no longer exists on the new map. Will miss it. Also the hybrid sat map on the earlier version was much better - roads, trails, physical appearance.

maybe i'm just not understanding you here but I can zoom in on the new map and it has roads with all the motels, restaurants and street crossings on it.

1 hour ago, 04nightfire said:

maybe i'm just not understanding you here but I can zoom in on the new map and it has roads with all the motels, restaurants and street crossings on it.

Okay, let's say I want to investigate a new area - in this case Midland. On the old map you would get the trails on the Google map with the motels, etc as you say, much like this (with the trails)

59e75ed6280db_midland01.thumb.jpg.112702edf84822be89793de3119dea33.jpg

Being able to go to Google Street view directly from the sled trail map, I can get a good look at environs that might make a difference in a choice i.e. do I really want to deal with a four lane highway crossing from accomodations at the Best Western Highland Inn? (looks like the name has changed)(trail goes right through the Comfort Inn parking lot and crosses highway 12 some distance to the west away from the lights)

59e75ee1b3def_midland02.thumb.jpg.77cd5c9b027c3cb51a9dc85d350c22b6.jpg

Or are life and limb safer accessing the trail system at another accomodation such as the Knight's Inn motel....(orange lines are trail access in the winter)

59e75eeb790da_midland03.jpg.85c47b1ccef09f5400c113406736b14d.jpg

Here is where the trail is situated on the updated map....

midland04.thumb.jpg.498ec531d1d30392f8c252e5f19cd7bb.jpg

I find Google Street View a very good tool for locating restaurants, motels, etc. or even in judging (by appearance) if I really want to go there. Many of my contributions to revrnd's motel database have originated from Street Views I have seen before actually visiting.

43 minutes ago, slomo said:

Okay, let's say I want to investigate a new area - in this case Midland. On the old map you would get the trails on the Google map with the motels, etc as you say, much like this (with the trails)

59e75ed6280db_midland01.thumb.jpg.112702edf84822be89793de3119dea33.jpg

Being able to go to Google Street view directly from the sled trail map, I can get a good look at environs that might make a difference in a choice i.e. do I really want to deal with a four lane highway crossing from accomodations at the Best Western Highland Inn? (looks like the name has changed)(trail goes right through the Comfort Inn parking lot and crosses highway 12 some distance to the west away from the lights)

59e75ee1b3def_midland02.thumb.jpg.77cd5c9b027c3cb51a9dc85d350c22b6.jpg

Or are life and limb safer accessing the trail system at another accomodation such as the Knight's Inn motel....(orange lines are trail access in the winter)

59e75eeb790da_midland03.jpg.85c47b1ccef09f5400c113406736b14d.jpg

Here is where the trail is situated on the updated map....

midland04.thumb.jpg.498ec531d1d30392f8c252e5f19cd7bb.jpg

I find Google Street View a very good tool for locating restaurants, motels, etc. or even in judging (by appearance) if I really want to go there. Many of my contributions to revrnd's motel database have originated from Street Views I have seen before actually visiting.

When you switch over to google hybrid, does that not show enough?

FYI - the trail no longer goes through the parking lot of the Comfort Inn Midland. It was rerouted when they put in the new LCBO - No Frills etc. on the south side of hwy 12 across from the Boston Pizza / Walmart to avoid having to cross the traffic entering all the shopping at the lights.

But of course you see people coming up to the Trail Closed sign at the Comfort Inn and just ignoring it completely. It's impossible not to see. The trail still crosses hwy 12 in the same place near the OPP station. but I'm not sure for how much longer. There is a subdivision to be built on the north side of hwy 12 where the trail currently runs through. Either way if you want to ride west from Midland you need to cross hwy 12 and then the four lanes of hwy 93 adjacent the veggie market.

It will be interesting to see what happens in the proximity of hwy 12 and King St. Midland. There have been lots of complaints from some of the business owners in proximity of that intersection about snowmobilers running across their property to avoid road rash.

Another option to stay and access the trails in Midland is the Kings Inn on King St. You cross King St. and go down Smith's Camp Road which is access to a trailer park and the trail runs along the Little Lake shoreline of Smith's.

You can still get the satellite view with the new ITG which is where this snip came from. Just select the hybrid base map.

Map.JPG.fccc8d9fbe52206ef1da601319ec7cf3.JPG

Great info, group.

The high degree of trip planning I've encountered [IrReverent, Sledjunk, Domino, 14 Snow, Slomo for a few kms., until LMV exited stage left)] is impressive. 

Thx for the updates. 

[If anyone has some Orillia secrets, let me know. Really hasn't been the same since they got rid of the tunnel to Highwayman]

6 minutes ago, Canuck said:

Great info, group.

The high degree of trip planning I've encountered [IrReverent, Sledjunk, Domino, 14 Snow, Slomo for a few kms., until LMV exited stage left)] is impressive. 

Thx for the updates. 

[If anyone has some Orillia secrets, let me know. Really hasn't been the same since they got rid of the tunnel to Highwayman]

Friends of ours just moved to Orillia. They don't know it yet but their driveway will likely be my new staging spot since they are right on the water on Cedar Island Road.... across their lawn and onto the ice.

1 hour ago, Canuck said:

Great info, group.

Thx for the updates. 

There is talk right now of the sled club trying to use the new walkway that goes over to Costco on hwy. 12.  That could get you from Orillia over to the northbound side of the highway.  Just waiting to hear more info

Archived