Hey Trail Map

Dave K

7 day pass in Quebec is the bee's knee's.  

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll likely get early passes for both Ontario and Quebec.

Getting yearly passes for Ontario and New Brunswick....

https://beta.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/new-brunswick-announces-plans-for-supply-oversight-of-recreational-marijuana/article36280930/

"New Brunswick said it signed agreements with two federally licensed marijuana producers, Canopy Growth Corp. and Organigram Inc., to supply cannabis to the province when the market is opened. Similar agreements with other companies could be reached in future. Ms. Rogers said the province wanted to lock up supply in advance so that it isn't short once legalization arrives."

Here's a government that knows what they are doing....trails are great too........

On ‎14‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, Canuck said:

The "ride free weekend Ontario" , then "ride free weekend Quebec" plus "per use" OFSC passes discussion came up a few times this summer (Britt, Ont. where boat is seems to be in a 'low snow' zone. Folks leaning towards per use passes).

This forum has diehard sledders. Heck, I bought 2 passes last year and only used one sled. That was a choice..wife enjoys cottage sledding more than northern adventures and we didn't have consistent snow @ cottage. In fact, last season had some of the oddest freeze/melt frequency I can remember.

We assume that for someone with $ thousands invested in a sled, a season pass is a no brainer and the seasonal purchase is a given - but it isn't. 

As riders get older (what is the 'average' in Ontario - creeping up?) and "warmer climates" are an option...a la carte passes will gain favour. Florida in January; Feb on trails. I'll keep buying annual..but others? Hope so.

"Trail pass", "ski pass", "gym pass" - folks will always do the math (as they should).

My wife got out once last year. I found myself alternating between her sled and mine to try and keep the odometer about even for both of the sleds. Fear not though. All the signs from mother nature are for a traditional winter with lots of snow.

34 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Day passes are wide open to abuse, revenues will take a big hit.

Trail enforcement is diminishing.

Even more so when they sell you a day pass but force you to buy a minimum of 2 days. Not everyone wants 2 days. I'm sure thier are riders in our boarder areas. That want to occasionally do a day ride, forcing them in to a 2 day pass. I'm sure either drives away a possible future full permit buyer or creates another freeloader. Ski Hills and Golf courses don't force non-season pass holders to buy a minimum 2 day permint.

When you have such limited enforcement as the OFSC does. You need to super serve your permit buyer, to ensure they buy, not be greedy and rape them for extra monies. 

Things like this proves more and more, the people behind the system don't understand how the sport really works.

29 minutes ago, Panther340 said:

Is the below a possible comparable " traffic warden" model to use for OFSC ?

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2017/09/18/traffic-wardens-coming-to-toronto-streets-in-2018.html

Thanks Panther, Great idea and should be applied to sledding. Not sure if it's a HTA or Trespass Act amendment (both, more? for sledding) but definitely a step in the right direction for Toronto.

Kids asked me why Toronto police were wearing baseball caps with"TPA". I didn't know. Looked it up (article at end).

They (police association) want more hiring (actually 4 items). Understandable, from their viewpoint. Have a feeling that removing them from pylon duty will free up many resources, so new hiring may not happen. 

http://www.torontosun.com/2017/09/14/toronto-cops-wear-hats-in-protest-of-low-morale

On September 18, 2017 at 11:53 AM, dweese said:

Even more so when they sell you a day pass but force you to buy a minimum of 2 days. Not everyone wants 2 days. I'm sure thier are riders in our boarder areas. That want to occasionally do a day ride, forcing them in to a 2 day pass. I'm sure either drives away a possible future full permit buyer or creates another freeloader. Ski Hills and Golf courses don't force non-season pass holders to buy a minimum 2 day permint.

When you have such limited enforcement as the OFSC does. You need to super serve your permit buyer, to ensure they buy, not be greedy and rape them for extra monies. 

Things like this proves more and more, the people behind the system don't understand how the sport really works.

With new online system a day pass should be available. I heard it was two much paper work in past for ofsc made a two day minimum. So it will be a min of a few years before it gets changed. 

The three and seven day passes were replaced by the multi-day pass a couple of years ago, and have only ever been available online.  Remember that the multiday permit required that the permit be printed and attached to your sled prior to getting on the trails.

Back on topic, the changes to the IAFG that were described at the AGM sound pretty exciting, if they ever get implemented and working.

1 hour ago, sledjunk said:

The three and seven day passes were replaced by the multi-day pass a couple of years ago, and have only ever been available online.  Remember that the multiday permit required that the permit be printed and attached to your sled prior to getting on the trails.

Back on topic, the changes to the IAFG that were described at the AGM sound pretty exciting, if they ever get implemented and working.

It was a good reveal. Educational as well, it never occurred to me that since so much RM is tied into the ITG now, that having a vendor willing to take that project on might be hard to come by. 

However, after a weekend of cut thi$, $ave on that, no co$t of ITG upgrade was provided. Or did I miss it? 

You didn't miss it.

4 hours ago, sledjunk said:

This is why I usually just buy early pass. I tend to average out over 3 or so years anyways and it is nice to support something that you enjoy. 

• 2 weeks later...

I got a few copies of the new D2 map. Seems decently viewable considering the addition of D3. I haven't done a side by side comparison yet.

Not sure I grasp the benefit of the "app" being free now.

Do we just surf to a url on the web browser on our portable? That's kinda sketchy I think because some portable browsers don't support independent web stuff so well. 

Why does "everyone" get mobile access now? Granted the desktop version holds no secrets but opening up the map to any and all seems counterproductive to cutting down on unauthorized trail usage..no?

Give me a good app that works well and I find useful and I'll cough up the change for it.

Cripes I usually spend more on a chocolate milk and a butter tart to start my rides anyways.

I notice the "Go Live" date for the interactive map has been replaced by "stay tuned". I hope that the OFSC didn't hire the same company that did E-Health.

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 10:46 AM, scrummage said:

I notice the "Go Live" date for the interactive map has been replaced by "stay tuned". I hope that the OFSC didn't hire the same company that did E-Health.

They want everyone to buy early permits before they realize there local trail could be gone, is my guess. 

22 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

They want everyone to buy early permits before they realize there local trail could be gone, is my guess. 

I made the same comment on a FB post last week.  I wouldn't put it past the OFSC to do that.

9 minutes ago, 04nightfire said:

I made the same comment on a FB post last week.  I wouldn't put it past the OFSC to do that.

I am not sure they are that organized :wtf:

It is pretty impressive, so far.  The routing is pretty good. 

It's nice to click on the route you want to take and it tells you the km's. You don't have to click on every little section and add up the km's yourself.

Can you not do a manual route in this new version, like the previous one?  Sometimes the shortest route isn't the route of choice (for example, avoiding water crossings).  Am I missing something obvious?

5 hours ago, Spanky said:

Can you not do a manual route in this new version, like the previous one?  Sometimes the shortest route isn't the route of choice (for example, avoiding water crossings).  Am I missing something obvious?

I've been trying to map out my own loop and you don't seem able to do it. When you click on where you want to go, the highlighted trail will switch to the shortest route. It only seems useful if you are taking same trail there and back. Maybe i'm missing something.

Archived