Carbides or Suspension Setup

signfan

Which has a greater effect on steering effort and control?  I've always ran 4" carbides.  Looking at going to 6" or 8" for a little more bite, but don't want to turn the sled into a shoulder killer to ride for a 300 km day.  Will the longer carbides make much difference in steering effort if I leave the front end shock and limiter strap settings alone?

You could go with 4" 60 degree if you need more bite, less chance of that darting. Not sure if you are using 4" 90 degree or not. I always loved the shorter 60 degree angle, personal preference, easier to turn and more aggressive then 6" 90 degree.

I believe a primary consideration would be whether you have the sled studded and if you do, how much studding you have. If you are on ice with big carbides and little or no studs you will have issues.

I found that the length of the host bar BEHIND the steering pivot point has a huge effect on steering effort.  This length works to hold the skis straight and you have to twist it sideways to turn the skis.  I found that cutting off the host bar behind the carbide insert makes the effort far easier.  I have also made a stainless "easy steer" cradle fork around the front of the host bar to eliminate darting.  This is based off what Polaris used to do and modeled from the Cobra Head system.  It sure works.

BP

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.33885462cd9a59fdb66182fc1eb753cc.JPG

IMG_3152.thumb.JPG.95c35a26406e6e2126f53101ec35e9ea.JPG

IMG_3157.thumb.JPG.0756bac95bcaa6a4334f924317840c46.JPG

IMG_3154.thumb.JPG.b7ba7b9d6388dfb84dc4a955b5014c82.JPG

Carbide options do have an affect on steering but suspension setup and weight transfer has way more affects on steering effort than carbides will ever have.

On 8/31/2017 at 10:18 PM, Big Pussy said:

I found that the length of the host bar BEHIND the steering pivot point has a huge effect on steering effort.  This length works to hold the skis straight and you have to twist it sideways to turn the skis.  I found that cutting off the host bar behind the carbide insert makes the effort far easier.  I have also made a stainless "easy steer" cradle fork around the front of the host bar to eliminate darting.  This is based off what Polaris used to do and modeled from the Cobra Head system.  It sure works.

BP

IMG_3146.thumb.JPG.33885462cd9a59fdb66182fc1eb753cc.JPG

IMG_3152.thumb.JPG.95c35a26406e6e2126f53101ec35e9ea.JPG

IMG_3157.thumb.JPG.0756bac95bcaa6a4334f924317840c46.JPG

IMG_3154.thumb.JPG.b7ba7b9d6388dfb84dc4a955b5014c82.JPG

How much if any did it hurt the turn in bite?

On 8/31/2017 at 10:18 PM, Big Pussy said:

On 8/31/2017 at 4:53 PM, signfan said:

Which has a greater effect on steering effort and control?  I've always ran 4" carbides.  Looking at going to 6" or 8" for a little more bite, but don't want to turn the sled into a shoulder killer to ride for a 300 km day.  Will the longer carbides make much difference in steering effort if I leave the front end shock and limiter strap settings alone?

If your generally pleased with the current set up but want move overall bite, perhaps try a set of Shaper bars. Their square / deeper vs the norm host bar does help in both loose snow and on ice.

On 9/4/2017 at 9:19 AM, ZR SLEDHEAD said:

How much if any did it hurt the turn in bite?

The turning bite is better than with the original Duallys.  I got better bite and no darting without stones getting wedged between the bars..  The stainless keel plate makes the keel deeper for better grip in loose snow and stops the ski wear.  The sled is an 01 Thundercat and they don't want to turn at the best of times.  There is so much front weight that cannot really be lifted with the front track spring.  Too much preload just makes the sled hop over the bump.  I never found that carbide did much except for ice.  the shape of the host bar seems to matter more.  I never did try a shaper though.

BP

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-09-01 at 5:22 PM, Fabio said:

Carbide options do have an affect on steering but suspension setup and weight transfer has way more affects on steering effort than carbides will ever have.

Great response..I agree.  Shape of ski is a big factor too.  CKs flat so hard to turn.  Pilots slightly bowed so less for example.

Archived