sled trailer cover project - now on the road!

slomo

UPDATED IN POST BELOW

Trip out to New Brunswick and other places resulted in a lot of slush on my sled trailer, sled covers and the various tarps I was using so thought there must be a better way. Stuck inside due to a morning temperature of about -32 or so at Pres du Lac Motel in Grand Falls, (disclaimer got CAA rate and snowmobilers discount) started working on a few ideas - at least until it warmed up to -22 or abouts so I could get out on the trails......our friend The Navigator and I had discussed this for him at Nunz's get together as he was looking to trailer a single sled without a whole lot of money on an enclosed....he can have a look and see what he thinks......

concept started here....

pic01.JPG.b55977d6bc03c0323ce182dea3d331ed.JPG

a conceptual drawing......

pic02.JPG.7c47b306c9dbc78d81b708dc1a152b50.JPG

later during the spring, a prototype....

pic03.jpg.269505a36da46e5d769b2a18784b100b.jpg

off to NASA for math related feasibility studies...

.nasa01.gif.8635e493a8ebdcc19fc824a59ff911f6.gif

wind tunnel tests.....

pic04.thumb.jpg.294ca715e36288f6bb627dddea2559fd.jpg

......and today final product minus some work on tie downs. Trailer was supplied to the fabricator with a total configuration of passenger seat and back rest, gas can, and related pack sack full of trail equipment. Allowances were made by the fabricator for when these thing were not included by installing web strapping that would allow tightening of the cover. The material is PVC 18 ounce vinyl tarp - same stuff as used on sides of transport truck trailers etc.

pic05.thumb.JPG.ee2d13794b581e0c38dd0228922d51ee.JPG

pic06.thumb.JPG.049762b8a42a8e7cc9c8e389c593b5e6.JPG

pic07.thumb.JPG.3210cb476ec36c604a85e18e1cdaa449.JPG

As opposed to removing layers of tarp from the machine as in the past, this set up will allow rolling tarp forward over the machine and leaving rolled on the front while sled is off. I have a 137 inch track, which is about the same length as a two up, so any subsequent snowmobile purchased will also fit. Cost was around the $1,000.00 mark.

With the money I've saved going this route instead of an enclosed trailer, I've got a trailer that can be used for a variety of purposes year round and I'm good for about 5 more week long trips to New Brunswick trails, PEI trails, Nova Scotia trails or maybe even Newfoundland....

I will miss the friendly horn honks etc. I used to receive with my old set up, but can't let sentimentality stand in the way of progress....

pic08.JPG.d9e5e6a711586117c8fdb121a14bc92d.JPG

Off to find some stainless steel eye bolts.....

Great idea.

Looks Good!

You could have spent less than a grand building 2x2 framed walls to screw and bolt together to enclose that trailer and still be open during the summer. My brother enclosed an 8x12 sled trailer tall enough to stand in, 2 fold down ramps that close up the rear.  Wish I had a picture of it... this was probably 20+ years ago and I think he's still using it. 

6 hours ago, Denis007 said:

You could have spent less than a grand building 2x2 framed walls to screw and bolt together to enclose that trailer and still be open during the summer. My brother enclosed an 8x12 sled trailer tall enough to stand in, 2 fold down ramps that close up the rear.  Wish I had a picture of it... this was probably 20+ years ago and I think he's still using it. 

Just not seeing the savings here Denis....creating a frame where none is necessary as the sled provides that on its own, you then have to cover it with some material which costs money, increased wind resistance and fuel costs, the joy of trying to drive screws into knotty, dried up, sometimes laminated pine 2X2's, your wife having your balls because the elegant slide on attachments to hold her two 16 foot kayaks during the sledding off season is no longer serviceable.....lacks a certain....elan....;-)

On 2017-08-26 at 6:23 AM, slomo said:

Just not seeing the savings here Denis....creating a frame where none is necessary as the sled provides that on its own, you then have to cover it with some material which costs money, increased wind resistance and fuel costs, the joy of trying to drive screws into knotty, dried up, sometimes laminated pine 2X2's, your wife having your balls because the elegant slide on attachments to hold her two 16 foot kayaks during the sledding off season is no longer serviceable.....lacks a certain....elan....;-)

Love the NASA design stages.  Very funny.  That said there's no way I'm giving up my enclosed trailer for a tarp, regardless of how well it's tied on.  

X2 for Yamaha in the diagram .....grrrrr

Efficient set-up. Enjoy!

I'm looking at a kit from Cover-Tech (www.cover-tech.com) in New Brunswick. They make the fabric covers for semi trailers. They have an aluminum frame and are custom fit to your trailer. Approx $1200.

Cover-Tech.jpg

1 hour ago, scrummage said:

I'm looking at a kit from Cover-Tech (www.cover-tech.com) in New Brunswick. They make the fabric covers for semi trailers. They have an aluminum frame and are custom fit to your trailer. Approx $1200.

Cover-Tech.jpg

Curious how that would hold up on top with an ice and snow load. I have seen some aluminum framed and skinned clam shells with the aluminum roof frames bowed a bit under snow load. You know those days when you wake up to 3 ft of fresh wet snow that came down overnight or perhaps even a few days where you weren't around to clear it.

This is the same system they use on flat bed semi trailers and "portable" garages. A testimonial from their web site.

Jean Cross - Mactier, Ontario
I absolutely love my Cover-Tech garage. We received about a feet of snow on Fri/Sat…It snowed again Mon and by Tuesday there was about 4 feet of snow piled up and pressing on the side walls. I cleared this snow away…We are expected to get another 2 feet in the next 48 hours.

8 hours ago, scrummage said:

Visited them in Woodstock, N.B. last winter.  Good people to deal with, but got mine done in Parry Sound. If you want a frame this would be a good place. Head down there next March break - 1 week later than the N.B. school March Break, trails are empty, do some sledding and bring in your trailer! Two good hotels there right on the trail - location for the headquarters for the N.B. trail system.

Addendum - with a testimonial from MacTier, you know they are not making that up, and that it is legitimate! Could not have been from last year though....not that much snow....:brr:

December 2017 Update

After a couple of weeks riding back roads around the camp, it was time to get out on some organized trails which meant a road test for the sled cover. Generally worked pretty well - here you can see it with the passenger seat removed which was included in the original mockup-

pic06.thumb.JPG.a1dfa01c0eceb1df6212d5c2c7c2480e.JPG

Quite easy to brush off any slush from the road (and there was plenty on this trip) and although a bit stiff in cold weather was pretty pleased with the result - in fact due to stiffness was able to raise it and roll it forward over the sled with very little trouble once all the bungies were released.

pic07.thumb.JPG.b6f8d9dd22b397e136928ec62d500c06.JPG

A good option for something only used for 3 months of the year for those who don't want to get themselves into a downward spiralling morass of personal debt or have better use for the money. (not many like that on this forum as far as I can see :D)

I'm surprised you were able to get NASA involved. I might have an in there!

So, just out of curiosity, the tarp portion of the experience was $1000? 

I'm about to be in need of a 2 sled trailer, but I can't stomach the thought of 5-7k+ for ~1200 worth of materials turned into a tin box on a single axle.

This will likely turn into a summer fabrication project.

On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 6:38 PM, signfan said:

Love the NASA design stages.  Very funny.  That said there's no way I'm giving up my enclosed trailer for a tarp, regardless of how well it's tied on.  

X2 - drop the ramp, warm them up and ride

Here is My creation from 2 years ago, Take it off in the summer and store the box and tarp,  Two trailers in one! Took  half day to build, 5 or 6 sheets plywood and custom tarp was 5005a493030c1782_uUjhFBPxUIS2XvWVQfMqyFUzw3gdV-ctBy1AiEP5yP41vrGv-CSp5B_W5o_DPM5yxitNYdbawTHgBK8yUV9vYA.thumb.jpg.99008f5c7802b5a6d5ab779630ac3021.jpg

eQMuNIL-wSdg_ilQYyZiMvZe-IIZ9y55YJF_bSMlR0E,UOvrCLhkwHOEpL25XQi9zPDi6d6IbKGWut3CLnEuhmI.jpg

20171203_104154.jpg

12 minutes ago, RCR said:

Here is My creation from 2 years ago, Take it off in the summer and store the box and tarp,  Two trailers in one! Took  half day to build, 5 or 6 sheets plywood and custom tarp was 5005a493030c1782_uUjhFBPxUIS2XvWVQfMqyFUzw3gdV-ctBy1AiEP5yP41vrGv-CSp5B_W5o_DPM5yxitNYdbawTHgBK8yUV9vYA.thumb.jpg.99008f5c7802b5a6d5ab779630ac3021.jpg

eQMuNIL-wSdg_ilQYyZiMvZe-IIZ9y55YJF_bSMlR0E,UOvrCLhkwHOEpL25XQi9zPDi6d6IbKGWut3CLnEuhmI.jpg

20171203_104154.jpg

I think I have seen your truck and trailer on the highway

15 hours ago, RAMSOMAIR said:

I see in the last pic there are ropes holding it down. Did the snaps not do the trick?

Did  not use snaps as not serviceable in cold weather, slush, snow etc. Bungies much more forgiving in that environment - used some that were lying around - will custom cut once weather is warmer.

15 hours ago, RCR said:

Here is My creation from 2 years ago, Take it off in the summer and store the box and tarp,  Two trailers in one! Took  half day to build, 5 or 6 sheets plywood and custom tarp was 500

My compliments on the workmanship and the idea!

Thanks!  Lots of Glue and screws!  

Archived