which has more traction ?

chez-nous cest skidoo

Question for those in the know ....

Given the same length tracks... track with 1.6" lug or track with 1.25" lug & studs ?

cheers

mike

What type of riding??

Lakes take the studs with a little trail.

All trail all the time take the 1.6

Personally I will never have a sled without studs.  Just my preference as I like knowing when I need to stop asap it will be a lot quicker than having no studs.

Next thing what kind of track because you could go with the ice ripper which is prestudded. 

1 hour ago, gobills said:

What type of riding??

Lakes take the studs with a little trail.

All trail all the time take the 1.6

Personally I will never have a sled without studs.  Just my preference as I like knowing when I need to stop asap it will be a lot quicker than having no studs.

Next thing what kind of track because you could go with the ice ripper which is prestudded. 

good point.. i do 95% trail riding, but i prefer studs too, just thought i'd put it out there

cheers

3 hours ago, chez-nous cest skidoo said:

good point.. i do 95% trail riding, but i prefer studs too, just thought i'd put it out there

cheers

The 1.25 with studs up middle for trail riding would be ideal setup. Studs wil quick up ice and snow on hard pack trails for cooling and prevent hyrax wear. 

The 1.6 lug height will be to high, could never stud it. Imagine it will lead to hyfax wear and possible track clip over heating in marginal snow conditions. 

9 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

The 1.25 with studs up middle for trail riding would be ideal setup. Studs wil quick up ice and snow on hard pack trails for cooling and prevent hyrax wear. 

The 1.6 lug height will be to high, could never stud it. Imagine it will lead to hyfax wear and possible track clip over heating in marginal snow conditions. 

You are incorrect about not being able to stud the 1.6 track. One of my riding buddies has had  a 1.75 track for 2 years  with 1.875 studs and it hasn't had any issues. The major issues with the 1.75 track is that it beats the sh_t out of any trails that aren't icy and the sled is real hard on fuel in comparison to similar sled with 1.25 track

2 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

You are incorrect about not being able to stud the 1.6 track. One of my riding buddies has had  a 1.75 track for 2 years  with 1.875 studs and it hasn't had any issues. The major issues with the 1.75 track is that it beats the sh_t out of any trails that aren't icy and the sled is real hard on fuel in comparison to similar sled with 1.25 track

Didn't think there would be enough clearance to add studs to larger block track. That would add some weight to sled no doubt about that. No-wonder trails are getting beat up so fast.

19 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

No-wonder trails are getting beat up so fast.

With all the other rules and regulations surrounding this sport. I'm surprised there isn't a lug size limit.

But then again, they can't enforce permit use, so...........

Last trip to Quebec, while stopped for a trailside break, passed by a group of 12 or so sleds, all longer deep lug tracks. Was surprised how much they chewed / chunked the trail up just cruising, always figured it was only an issue when someone acted the fool n dug a trench to hell and back on take off. 

Rained hard that late afternoon n well into the late evening, woke up to dramatically lower temps and nothing but hard / icey trails. Couple of groups at our hotel (deep lugs / no studs) marooned until around lunch time when temps climbed back up and the rain returned. I'll gladly give up the killer bite / loss of fuel mileage from a huge lug track for my studded 1.25. Have always felt it's the breaking point for an all around trail sled but thats just my take on things.

I'm very happy with the 1.325 on my poor.

It is studded as well.

On ‎13‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:00 AM, dweese said:

With all the other rules and regulations surrounding this sport. I'm surprised there isn't a lug size limit.

But then again, they can't enforce permit use, so...........

Might be time for me to find a new hobby. If I can't get out and ride smooth trails anymore, it won't be much fun anymore. Local trail is already gone, so now I have to road run or trailer to the trail.

Weather/ trail conditions makes all the difference.  When it is cold, hard trail can get cut up more from studs than lugs and powder suffers most from the throttle jockeys with any size lugs. 

We followed a group with no respect for others last season.  They had met the groomer running back to Wawa from Halfway in the daytime and the throttle jockeys had no mercy on that trail!  Six sleds on a day-race-ride out to Halfway and back to Wawa destroyed the grooming for all. 

It does matter how you treat the trail with your throttle! 

When the weather is on the warm side, the bigger lugs throw large chunks especially as the trail starts to freeze back up.  Nobody can help this, but scratchers are needed as the trail turns to ice.  Scratchers also tear deep grooves in the trails. 

Warm temps make the trail vulnerable.  In fact, I have seen the most severe damage to soft trails come from heavy 4-stroke machines pushing in corners and sinking deep ruts in straight portions of trails.  This is fact and caused by nothing more than the physics involved.  I have a 4-stroke and hate riding it in warm weather.  In cold hard conditions it is great!

In loose conditions like snow packed but not hard or unpacked, deep lugs will start and stop better.  On anything hard like plowed road or icy trail, studs will far better start and stop.  When the trail jumps onto a plowed road or you hit an icy patch, the safety of studs is unsurpassed and sooner or later you will get a surprise if you don't have studs.  I don't run studs and have had many surprises, but tempered with many track and heat exchanger failures due to studs, I just run slower on hard conditions.  I plan to try screw-in studs to see what happens.  I may add some regular studs to another sled also for safety.

Archived