Skootamatta Lake Ice

signfan

Does anyone have good local knowledge of this lake.  Is there any spots that don't freeze well in the winter?  I'm guessing near the lower dam would be a bad area.  Other than that any worries?  Do the narrows and the upper lake freeze over good every winter?

Be a good time to check now ... nice and warm.  Bring waders just in case.... :D  

Nimrod on here (has a camp SW of the old airstrip) or Tinker on Freedom Sledder may have an idea.

1 hour ago, Denis007 said:

Be a good time to check now ... nice and warm.  Bring waders just in case.... :D  

Haha.  Water is a little wet on the lake at this time of year.

Mark bad spots on your GPS in a canoe and then at least you know where not to go. If it is a cold winter narrows may freeze. Some lakes they do and others they don't. No two winters are the same though. Last year was first winter I could remember that head lake wasn't safe to cross early in the season. I even emailed living, cause I thought it was a mistake that other lakes were deemed safe. During a mild winter lakes close to dams or narrows my never freeze, from high volumes of water. Amazing how far out the ice can be bad. 

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:30 PM, gobills said:

My suggestion would be to contact the local snowmobile club and ask them if they can give advice or know of any club members that could help you out. 

X2 that is what I do before I ride and if the stakes aren't in, I don't go unless I know it is safe.

Archived