Ice Scratchers

signfan

both have their place. if you go cable, store them down out of the retainer or they will take a set, and not want to put much pressure on the ice you need to chip away at. the spring style don't like rail road crossings, and backing up but, they put the most loose snow in to the cooling, lube area, in my opinion. Ski

I have had cable type on my last three sleds and have had no issues and very durable, in fact some of my riding buddies will back off from riding too close as the chunks blast them as well

Drill a hole in the ski, install nut & bolt and good to go.....

There is a video somewhere of this marvelous idea.

Always used the spring type myself with great results, too good according to those that follow 

We have gone to ski mounted on our newer sleds, but the harder it gets, the old single springs seem to dig more.  Some sleds need them more.  Seems the lube for the Hy-fax slides is less of an issue then engine cooling on sleds with short lug tracks.  Bigger displacement engines in the same sled models (800cc vs. 600cc) seem to have more issues.  I would guess the cooling system is almost the same and needs to dump more heat.  Fan cooled direct and radiator equipped sleds like my 4-stroke only need scratchers in extreme ice conditions.  Studded tracks also go a long way in hard conditions.  We stopped running studs due to all the reliability issues they caused.  I am thinking about trying a pre-studded less aggressive type of studding which may help to throw more lube and cooling as well as be safer on icy conditions.     

We used scratchers more last season than ever before.  Temp swings from warm to cold cause the issue.  I expect it late season, but it seemed to happen and then there were some long periods without snow.  Big lakes and packed roads can lock up and be a real issue. 

I put the Qualipieces ones on my 800 XS short track sled late last season before the first ride in late March. Absolutely mandatory. Ice and hard pack everywhere. I mounted them pretty far back and they do a fine job even on glare ice.  Just gotta remember them at rail crossings or your riding partners will score an instant freebie.... :)  

FB_IMG_1500675676304.thumb.jpg.50aa72100f2da6e0d2dedc9a0260a47f.jpg

On 2017-07-21 at 6:16 PM, Denis007 said:

I put the Qualipieces ones on my 800 XS short track sled late last season before the first ride in late March. Absolutely mandatory. Ice and hard pack everywhere. I mounted them pretty far back and they do a fine job even on glare ice.  Just gotta remember them at rail crossings or your riding partners will score an instant freebie.... :)  

FB_IMG_1500675676304.thumb.jpg.50aa72100f2da6e0d2dedc9a0260a47f.jpg

What make are the hand muffs you have on your sled?   Do you like them?

7 hours ago, signfan said:

What make are the hand muffs you have on your sled?   Do you like them?

Those are Choko wind deflectors, not muffs persay.  I hate muffs.  Very effective but I just don't like 'em.  I prefer something more open.

I had them on my S-chassis 670 which has poor heat on the heated grips compared to the XS, and the deflectors worked well enough at blocking wind to keep the hands warm.  I transferred them to the REV and only use heat settings 1 or 2 (of 8 or 9).  

The more "open" the deflectors are, the less effective they are.  The wind turbulence coming around them will push cold air inside to the point that you may as well not have them.  My new sled has muffs much the same as Denis has.  They work good but you can feel the turbulence inside sometimes.  I think they are the best compromise of open vs heat.

BTW, I had a accident once with my T-Cat due to the full blown muff.  I couldn't get to the brake quick enough since my hand was cleaning my visor.  The sled ended up on it's side in a ditch after falling off the side of a low bridge in the bush.  It took about 7 people to lift it out of there.

BP

6 hours ago, Big Pussy said:

The more "open" the deflectors are, the less effective they are.  The wind turbulence coming around them will push cold air inside to the point that you may as well not have them.  My new sled has muffs much the same as Denis has.  They work good but you can feel the turbulence inside sometimes.  I think they are the best compromise of open vs heat.

BTW, I had a accident once with my T-Cat due to the full blown muff.  I couldn't get to the brake quick enough since my hand was cleaning my visor.  The sled ended up on it's side in a ditch after falling off the side of a low bridge in the bush.  It took about 7 people to lift it out of there.

BP

I like tall windshields. Solves most cold related problems and makes you feel warmer all day. Only issue I ever had, is I could barely fit thru the tunnel on the D trail. Had to bend windshield down abit, since it started to catch on the top of the tunnel. Sure glad it was a week day and no one was coming the other way. Snow build up was high that year too.

Off topic but I hated the tall windshield on my S chassis, always a cold neck and back, and no difference in the hand protection. Mid height shield was the answer for me.  Same height shield on my XS sled works great for me.... your results may vary....

Archived