Permit Residue Removal

signfan

I've used WD-40 on a rag for years to remove the residue left behind from trail permits.  It's always worked great on windshields and didn't hurt anything.  Windshield looked as good as new once it was all cleaned up.  I usually hit it with winded to remove the WD-40 once all the permit gun was gone.  I recently bought a sled from Quebec with the permit applied to the body panel.  On body panels am I still safe with WD-40?   Or should I use something else?  I'd hate to have the panel fade or go cloudy from a chemical reaction.  

WD40  (Water Displacing formula #40)  will work fine on a plastic panel.  I did it the last two years on my new sled.  I am afraid to use anything else.

BP

Ditto.  You're right to be unsure, as lots of products can make a bad chemical reaction, but WD40 is probably the most versatile and safest one of them all.

We also use Goo-Gone on decal residue, works well and no damage to plastics.  It's a bit thicker than WD40 so it hangs around and doesn't run down the panel as quickly.  

I personally find "Goo-Gone" works faster and better than WD-40, and doesn't hurt plastics!

I tried the WD-40 but went back to Goo-Gone.  I find it works faster and easier.  Be careful, though.  Another product called Goof Off can be kind of harsh.

I've usually used just a little gas on a rag and it cleans right off.

My vote is for the goo gone. Been using it for years for adhesive on virtually all surfaces. Sled windshields, fiberglass boat, painted surfaces and so much more. As was said by someone else beware of goof off... that is for paint removal when you make a goof.

I use goo gone here also

I have a 4 liter jug of that stuff in my garage and it clearly says VARSOL on the label.  That's what it says so that is what I will call it.

22 hours ago, Nunz said:

I've usually used just a little gas on a rag and it cleans right off.

Yup...

I watched a painter prep a plastic motorcycle side fairing for paint. After all the prep work and sanding. He wiped the whole thing with a rag with just a little bit of gas on it. He said nothing removes goo and finger prints better. And it evaporates very quickly. 

Tried the goo gone today.  Worked great.  Wayyyyyyy better than WD-40.  Took 25% of the time and work to get rid of all of the residue.  I'd be afraid of fading of the plastic with straight gas.

Nail polish remover for the win...wife always has some kicking around.....:sarcasm_on-1:

Disclaimer: Please note the "sarcasm on" above - DO NOT use nail polish removal, it will work great at removing the permit, but also ruin your windshield and/or plastics!

On July 21, 2017 at 1:52 PM, catinental couch said:

Nail polish remover is acetone. It is very hard on some plastics and almost all paints.

Clean steel up in a hurry though. :) Painted steel it will take the finish off. Harsh stuff. 

Archived