Groomer Procurement

signfan

1 hour ago, Bigfish said:

This is what new groomers should be:D

That would surely reduce grooming hours per week :) Not sure if I would want to meet one coming other way though. 

6 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

That seems like a very bad idea.

One size does not fit all situations.

This could really result in some Clubs/Associations getting very upset.

Brian, that is for the tractor groomers. For the special groomers, it will be a PB or a Husky....

It looks like that the OFSC will decide who gets what.

6 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

That seems like a very bad idea.

One size does not fit all situations.

This could really result in some Clubs/Associations getting very upset.

If a club can't groom with a Husky Prinouth then they need to fix their trail.  Not complain about the equipment available to them.  The tractors make sense in a lot if areas and are definitely cheaper to buy and operate.  If there are the two types to pick from it seems things should be covered off just fine.  It's good to see the OFSC make smart procurement decisions like this one.  It's good business.

14 hours ago, Bigfish said:

This is what new groomers should be:D

Ya but they'll end up with this...

Smartsled.jpg

So Case IH Maxxum 135's and Troopers or Huskies it is then?

We tested this unit last winter in our area for a few days, weather was warm and the snow was wet, had no issues cutting out a high banked corner going uphill, would actually start to spin out before it ever lost any power. A nice sized unit for tight trails and can hold its own on concession roads as well.

The Trooper is 140 HP, cost with a drag is comparable to cost of Husky only. One bonus with the Trooper is you can fit 5 in the cab if you needed to for trail work or opening up trails etc

• 4 weeks later...
On 2017-08-08 at 4:45 PM, BoonerBP said:

The Trooper is 140 HP, cost with a drag is comparable to cost of Husky only. One bonus with the Trooper is you can fit 5 in the cab if you needed to for trail work or opening up trails etc

Isn't this a really risky proposition by the OFSC in selecting the Prinoth Trooper when it is virtually unproven by Ontario Clubs.

It is cheaper for a reason, primarily a significantly smaller engine versus the big brother Husky.

It is great to show a bigger number of new groomers being purchased but not at the cost of an unproven and possibly underpowered groomer.

Fitting 5 in a cab is not a worthwhile trade off in my view.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Isn't this a really risky proposition by the OFSC in selecting the Prinoth Husky when it is virtually unproven by Ontario Clubs.

It is cheaper for a reason, primarily a significantly smaller engine versus the big brother Husky.

It is great to show a bigger number of new groomers being purchased but not at the cost of an unproven and possibly underpowered groomer.

Fitting 5 in a cab is not a worthwhile trade off in my view.

I am not familiar with how much hp is required in a groomer for particular applications, but if the ofsc doesn't keep these units as long  the cheaper cost may work out (it defiantly has to come from some where, hopefully doesn't affect equipment reliability). You would think ofsc would source from several manufacturers in case some do come out yellow. If it was my money wouldn't go all in one basket.  

Was it the Trooper or the Husky or a combination of both that was selected I did not see it stated above?  Our Husky has been great to us (although it was a bit of an oddball it is a 2007 model that we got in 2015 with only 70 hours on the motor) as well The Shop out of Sudbury has been great to deal with for parts/maintenance/warranty.  One thing we have noticed is both the Husky and Pisten Trail Bully were larger than the BR 180 they replaced.  

The Trooper was tested in at least three districts that I am aware of with seat time by a number of club operators in each district . By all accounts the feedback was positive. 

11 hours ago, BoonerBP said:

The Trooper was tested in at least three districts that I am aware of with seat time by a number of club operators in each district . By all accounts the feedback was positive. 

Thank you, that is very encouraging news that this testing was done.

Here is a link to their brochure:

Grooming the longest, wildest and most extreme trail networks in North America takes guts. But it also takes confidence in your equipment. PRINOTH’s focus on safety allows operators to push performance without worrying about a contingency plan – they know PRINOTH has them covered.

The PRINOTH TROOPER reliably and easily prepares snowmobile trails on the most uneven terrains. The TROOPER will save you time, fuel and a variety of costs. Creating the longest, wildest and most extreme cross-country networks in North America requires guts. But it also requires trust in your gear. PRINOTH's focus on safety allows operators, to rely on performance without worrying about possible technical issues.

Limited ground pressure, simple controls and an automatic braking system complete the innovative vehicle and cabin design of the TROOPER. 

View the brochure in PDF here.

• 3 weeks later...

I will be able to tell you how the TROOPER performs this winter as that's what our club is getting... no more Farm Tractor for us, I hope we will not regret our decision...lol   25 years of our club grooming with those.   If you wanted the Husky you had to pay 50 grand to get it.   One good thing with the Trooper is you don't have that Enviro crap that the Husky has. you dont have to add that Piss, Def and get those "Regen" codes.   A plus side is the big cab to store some gear and bring a work crew.

Archived