Help from the IT guys

dweese

I'd like to think I'm smarter then the average bear when it comes to computers and networks, but this one has me stuck...

The marina our boat is at has free WiFi for the seasonal boats. The system was installed and provided by Ruckus Wireless. 

When you connect with a computer or mobile device, you get a popup screen from Ruckus which is nothing but an advertisement for them. And after 5 seconds you get redirected to your website of choice.

Well the problem is, few of us have smart TVs on our boats and want to connect for things like Netflix and so on. However the Tv's don't have that web browser interface to see the ad from Ruckus before being allowed access to the intermet. So the TV connects to the Wi-Fi but has no internet connect. Making my smart TV rather dumb...

I've got a Chrome Cast that works fine, but only one plug at the TV so I have to run the cord across the boat to plug it in (first world problems I know). I've talked to marina staff, but it's all controlled by the City IT department so getting help from them will take time.

Just wondering if anyone else has delt eith the same issues and is there a work around.

One potential work-around could be to connect to Netflix with your computer, and have a big screen plugged into your computer for viewing.

5 hours ago, dweese said:

I'd like to think I'm smarter then the average bear when it comes to computers and networks, but this one has me stuck...

The marina our boat is at has free WiFi for the seasonal boats. The system was installed and provided by Ruckus Wireless. 

When you connect with a computer or mobile device, you get a popup screen from Ruckus which is nothing but an advertisement for them. And after 5 seconds you get redirected to your website of choice.

Well the problem is, few of us have smart TVs on our boats and want to connect for things like Netflix and so on. However the Tv's don't have that web browser interface to see the ad from Ruckus before being allowed access to the intermet. So the TV connects to the Wi-Fi but has no internet connect. Making my smart TV rather dumb...

I've got a Chrome Cast that works fine, but only one plug at the TV so I have to run the cord across the boat to plug it in (first world problems I know). I've talked to marina staff, but it's all controlled by the City IT department so getting help from them will take time.

Just wondering if anyone else has delt eith the same issues and is there a work around.

What brand smart tv do you have? 

Can you not just broadcast direct to the tv from your phone using the phone as the internet source? 

2 hours ago, Yukon Cornelious said:

What brand smart tv do you have? 

Some cheap Best Buy in house brand.. Guy with the boat next to me a has a Sony and he is having the same problem.

56 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Can you not just broadcast direct to the tv from your phone using the phone as the internet source? 

Yup I can, doing that now using my chrome cast... but the TV has it all built in and it's simpler to use for my wife.

In your "My apps" can you download the browser that is required? You may need to set it up of site to a wired connection.

I believe you said you have one set up on the boat that works but you would need to run a cable across the boat. If so look a wireless transmitter receiver. We have one for the satellite tuner PVR. It connects to the tuner and transmits to the receiver in the bedroom for the TV there. It's bidirectional so we point the remote for the tuner at the receiver in the bedroom and it controls the tuner in the living room. It was under $100 at Walmart a couple of years ago.

I would get an Android Streaming Box, far better than Chromecast.  Sounds like the Smart TV is running a proprietary os that doesn't account for internet logins.  

You could also try using a router.

Dweese will there be a laptop handy on the boat?  If you have a laptop handy lookup 'virtual WIFI router' and you will see many options.  Basically it boils down to creating a ad-hoc network on your boat whether you use a smart phone or laptop to do this.  Smart TV's (well most or all) don't have the ability to perform a login user/password from a webpage to gain their internet access.

Ruckus WIFI <--> laptop/smartphone ad-hoc network <--> devices (TV's, other phone's, etc.)

Also only one person in the marina needs to do this and you could share that ad-hoc network with the other boats as you see fit.

6 hours ago, atomic said:

Dweese will there be a laptop handy on the boat?  If you have a laptop handy lookup 'virtual WIFI router' and you will see many options.  Basically it boils down to creating a ad-hoc network on your boat whether you use a smart phone or laptop to do this.  Smart TV's (well most or all) don't have the ability to perform a login user/password from a webpage to gain their internet access.

Ruckus WIFI <--> laptop/smartphone ad-hoc network <--> devices (TV's, other phone's, etc.)

Also only one person in the marina needs to do this and you could share that ad-hoc network with the other boats as you see fit.

I'll try that as well... 

Bunch of us are having this same issue, the marina manager knows I'm a bit of a techy. So he dumped it on my lap to see if i could come up with a quick fix. The city faculty manager who overs sees all the outdoor city spaces is a friend of mine and a former IT manager. So I'm sure if I blow in a call he'll get on the city IT crew to come up with a fix for us.

Archived