Insurance

signfan

Who is everyone using and what are you paying.  Any insurers you'd recommend for snowmobile insurance?  Was with TD.  Had a no fault theft claim and today they say they will no longer offer me fire, theft or collision coverage on my new sled.  Just liability coverage and only offer $1 million.  Anyone else been through this BS with them?  Looking for a solution that isn't 40% higher than I was paying.

AH man that really sucks!!!  Im with TD so can't help you out.  Everything else i have is with Belair Direct, but they do not insure sleds over 750cc.  I was with Johnson Insurance before but they jacked the rates up for no reason, they were really good for 10 years then an incredible increase.

7 minutes ago, Old Sledder said:

Cooperators and around $400

Thanks.  I'll try them.  That's about what I was paying TD.  Do they have all your stuff?  Or just the sleds?

Everything, houses, cottage, cars, boats, etc. Having said this I think we have been with them for over 30 years and likely I could do better if I shopped around

edit, I will say they have been excellent on claims, and have been quite supportive 

We are with Ron Johnson in Orillia, have been with them and prices are fair.

Looking for stand alone sled insurance if I can.  Everything else is with All State with great rates.  They just aren't competitive for the sled.  Was quoted roughly $650 by them today.

3 hours ago, gobills said:

AH man that really sucks!!!  Im with TD so can't help you out.  Everything else i have is with Belair Direct, but they do not insure sleds over 750cc.  I was with Johnson Insurance before but they jacked the rates up for no reason, they were really good for 10 years then an incredible increase.

That's like me then I went to add a cfr1000 this past season. TD won't except. They are limiting cc's as well. My tz1 turbo would have been grandfathered in. But I opted to switch all sleds over to desjardin. Cheaper then td by a fair amount.

I would call TD back and see what happens when you get someone different. If they say sorry, then ask for a supervisor and see if you can get coverage back. I know some people that were refused and they simply called back and got someone different and the new person had more power and gave them the coverage. 

1 hour ago, atc said:

That's like me then I went to add a cfr1000 this past season. TD won't except. They are limiting cc's as well. My tz1 turbo would have been grandfathered in. But I opted to switch all sleds over to desjardin. Cheaper then td by a fair amount.

I have found the rules are different compared to who you talk to on the phone it seems. Nice to know there are some options out there. 

8 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

I have found the rules are different compared to who you talk to on the phone it seems. Nice to know there are some options out there. 

I had everything with TD 2 yrs ago now nothing. Seems everything changed a little over a year ago when they started doing there own. Not sure if they bought out primum or just took over there own. But underwriting and premium really changed 

im with Co-Operators. $178 per year for liability

cheers

TD double our car rates when we moved to Toronto, just because everyone up here must suck as a driver. The bike saw a small increase. However I'm not sure how long they will cover it anymore. They tell me my VFR800 is a super sport, and they won't touch anything over 750cc in that class. I told them they are on drugs because the VFR is far from a super sport and the industry classes of as sport touring. They covered it again this year, I think mostly because they wouldn't cover the boat. And I told the guy keep giving me reasons to take everything somewhere else. My boat insurer is wanting to quote house amd cars for me. So im good for another year. But who knows what next spring will bring.

Apparantly car rates are all based on postal codes. So in theory can have two people with exact same vehicle, same age, same record and pay different rates based on postal code even though they may live only a few km's away.

TD has gone mental. I had everything with them up till 4 years ago, they started creeping up for no reason every year.

Give Murphy Ins a try, Brent and Christine are incredibly nice people to deal with. He has offices in Barrie and Orillia and I think Owen Sound now.

He's a broker but has great rates, even better if you have a business. I've got many to switch, all are happy.

Not sure if he will do stand alone on a sled anymore.

Yes your postal  code will determine price, my brother saw a 50% drop going to Holland landing from Woodbridge (2nd,3rd highest area)

16 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

TD has gone mental. I had everything with them up till 4 years ago, they started creeping up for no reason every year.

Give Murphy Ins a try, Brent and Christine are incredibly nice people to deal with. He has offices in Barrie and Orillia and I think Owen Sound now.

He's a broker but has great rates, even better if you have a business. I've got many to switch, all are happy.

Not sure if he will do stand alone on a sled anymore.

Yes your postal  code will determine price, my brother saw a 50% drop going to Holland landing from Woodbridge (2nd,3rd highest area)

I have been doing less business with them too.  They won't cover anything that is concerned commercial, such as a farm atv. All I have left are snowmobiles there and most likely will move them this fall, when policy expires.

I have everything with TD. Home, vehicles, boat, sleds and trailers. I have occasionally come across some people who are "not so knowledgeable" and when I do I ask to speak to a manager. Some of them are also better than others but all seem pretty knowledgeable. I track all my expenses and I'm actually paying 11% less for all my insurance than I was in 2009. Some of that may have to do with my age. They have a discount for being retired. The vehicles are being regularly replaced about every 5 years, the boat is the same one, the sleds are the newest most expensive to buy of any of our past sleds as is the sled trailer. Each year I review our policies with them and make sure we are taking advantage of any discounts etc. i.e. snow tires, vehicle glass etching etc.

When I go shopping each year I have found a couple that are close on a total package but none that are cheaper. If I a willing to break it up so that the boat is insured by A and the house by B etc. I may be able to save a tiny bit however the difference is miniscule and not worth the aggravation of splitting everything and having to deal with a multiple of companies. If I did I would save on some and pay more on some. Doing this I would lose the multi-line discount I get with TD.

We get a multi discount from TD because the wife's car and the sleds are insured with them and something else she owns. They wouldn't insure my business, my dually or my express cruiser but still wanted my house and contents as well as the PWC's. I didn't go along with them for various reasons but if they pull any of the tricks you guys have said about, they will lose the rest as well.

16 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I have everything with TD. Home, vehicles, boat, sleds and trailers. I have occasionally come across some people who are "not so knowledgeable" and when I do I ask to speak to a manager. Some of them are also better than others but all seem pretty knowledgeable. I track all my expenses and I'm actually paying 11% less for all my insurance than I was in 2009. Some of that may have to do with my age. They have a discount for being retired. The vehicles are being regularly replaced about every 5 years, the boat is the same one, the sleds are the newest most expensive to buy of any of our past sleds as is the sled trailer. Each year I review our policies with them and make sure we are taking advantage of any discounts etc. i.e. snow tires, vehicle glass etching etc.

When I go shopping each year I have found a couple that are close on a total package but none that are cheaper. If I a willing to break it up so that the boat is insured by A and the house by B etc. I may be able to save a tiny bit however the difference is miniscule and not worth the aggravation of splitting everything and having to deal with a multiple of companies. If I did I would save on some and pay more on some. Doing this I would lose the multi-line discount I get with TD.

Are you apart of their meloche monex(how ever you spell it) program?

Because that's apparently still the best rates. 

But for the regular programs usually Belair or desjardins beats them with a noticeable difference. 

1 hour ago, atc said:

Are you apart of their meloche monex(how ever you spell it) program?

Because that's apparently still the best rates. 

But for the regular programs usually Belair or desjardins beats them with a noticeable difference. 

Meloche Monnex is one of the arms of TD Insurance. The other is TD Home & Auto. The people I have dealt with at TD have regularly checked both to validate for the best rates they could provide between the two. Meloche Monnex is the one that handles group discounts for TD. If you are employed by a company, belong to an association or similar that has a relationship with TD Insurance you get discounted group rates. It seems that there are lots of people that qualify for these types of group rate discounts but aren't aware that they do. I went two years not knowing I qualified for the group discount. It often applies to retirees of a specific employer as well.

Back in March I shopped the market using some of the generic online tools where you get quotes from a large number of insurers  simultaneously. I also shopped by calling a number of insurers and brokers directly. Belair and Desjardins were two of the insurers I checked and as a total package for all my coverage the total cost was more than TD. The only way I could come close to saving some money would be to split up my coverage between multiple companies and the savings would be negligible.

I have had a couple of claims with TD over the years and the service was outstanding. I would even pay a slight increased amount for peace of mind. A couple of years ago they wrote off my enclosed sled trailer. The adjustor I worked with was great. She waived my deductible and when she looked at what I had paid for the trailer, what the replacement would cost be and the value the appraiser who looked at my trailer assigned to it she said it wasn't enough. She gave me a new value and the end result was the replacement trailer cost me $190 after having the written off one for two years.

Well I gave up on TD last night.  Bunch of a!? ho?$&.  After calling back this week that said they would give me full coverage, but needed a written application back. I said great e-mail it to me.  We can't e-mail it.  Have to mail it.  So 5 days later it still hasn't arrived.  Talk to them last night and they said 1 - 2 weeks after I return it (once it actually arrives) they'll let me know if they will insure me.  Meanwhile I've bought a new sled and have it sitting in my yard with no coverage.  I had a heated dispute with a manager on why I was getting the run around after being a loyal customer for 20 years.  I was basically told to go to another insurer.  It's their policy they are following.  In my view it's discrimination because I filed a claim.  I have a clean driving record, am married with kids and am over 30 years old.  The only thing on file is I got robbed and processed a claim.  How that could be considered anything but a no fault claim is beyond me.  I'd strongly recommend that anyone insured with TD to find another insurer.  I'm proof that they will jerk you around if they have to do anything, but collect your premiums.  Like I said bunch of as? hol!$.  Please spread the word.

20 hours ago, signfan said:

Well I gave up on TD last night.  Bunch of a!? ho?$&.  After calling back this week that said they would give me full coverage, but needed a written application back. I said great e-mail it to me.  We can't e-mail it.  Have to mail it.  So 5 days later it still hasn't arrived.  Talk to them last night and they said 1 - 2 weeks after I return it (once it actually arrives) they'll let me know if they will insure me.  Meanwhile I've bought a new sled and have it sitting in my yard with no coverage.  I had a heated dispute with a manager on why I was getting the run around after being a loyal customer for 20 years.  I was basically told to go to another insurer.  It's their policy they are following.  In my view it's discrimination because I filed a claim.  I have a clean driving record, am married with kids and am over 30 years old.  The only thing on file is I got robbed and processed a claim.  How that could be considered anything but a no fault claim is beyond me.  I'd strongly recommend that anyone insured with TD to find another insurer.  I'm proof that they will jerk you around if they have to do anything, but collect your premiums.  Like I said bunch of as? hol!$.  Please spread the word.

That is too bad. They have always emailed or faxed application sheets to me. Once I switched sleds in middle of season and they faxed me the coverage and the slips same day.  Have no idea why it is an issue.

Archived