First 100% Electric Pickup Truck

dweese

I wonder if Wynne & her spouse drive a Volt or Leaf to their cottage north of Havelock? Does an OPP security team follow them around in a Tahoe when they are up there too?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Panther340 said:

I would like to re imagine Wynne and Trudeau and their green Enviro Nazi ways , various articles in more right wing newspapers show that even if "Paris Accord" has been pursued and met , the electrification of the planets vehicles  would of increased from 1 % to maybe 2 or 3%   . Fossil fuels are at reasonable prices now and let the market decide whether it is worth while for us to change over slowly .............but then most people have drank the koolaid that blames global warming on C02 , so we all are going to pay for those electric subsidies .

amazing how oil prices are low but at the pump prices are high and  I wonder if fiscal mismanagement factors in to the I'm helping the environment feel good story of electric vehicles...............

12 hours ago, 02Sled said:

It will get better but it's not there yet. You mention plugging in overnight. Currently the charge time varies it seems between 8 and 20 hours

The supercharger you mention is if I am not mistaken 420V power. The chargers the province has installed are apparently not providing that level of recharge. You mention 25 minutes. That's IF you don't have to wait for a charger to become available. Reality... you have to sit in your car for perhaps that 25 minutes waiting for a charger to become available. That is if the person on the charger doesn't stay longer to get a full charge. If you leave and go inside for some lunch you may well miss the next available charger. THEN you start the 25 minute charge.

Running out of gas is a lot harder to do than running out of charge. 

8-20 hours that total depends on the charger you have at home. But remember, most are killing the battery everyday. Average person only drives 40kms aday. Doesn't take long to chrage that usage.

There are 4 types of chrage out there. It's not about voltage, it's all the kilowatts they push. Tesla supercharger push 135kw/h in a DC current.

Everything else being installed is an AC charger around 50kw/h. So ya your not getting a full tank in 25mins.

And your still wrong on running out of a charge thing. Does master how many chargers or gas stations. You plan your trip same as you do in your car. So you drive around until the low fuel light comes on in your car then look for a has station? No you start looking before you need fuel. 

As for waiting for a charger. All the chargers across Canada are all part of the same network. There is an outstanding app out there that shows you all the chragers, which ones are busy. And how long someone has been plugged in and how many cars are waiting. So its really easy to avoid a wait. And if there is a wait, kind of means the the whole idea of EVs  is working and time to add more chragers.

1 hour ago, dweese said:

8-20 hours that total depends on the charger you have at home. But remember, most are killing the battery everyday. Average person only drives 40kms aday. Doesn't take long to chrage that usage.

There are 4 types of chrage out there. It's not about voltage, it's all the kilowatts they push. Tesla supercharger push 135kw/h in a DC current.

Everything else being installed is an AC charger around 50kw/h. So ya your not getting a full tank in 25mins.

And your still wrong on running out of a charge thing. Does master how many chargers or gas stations. You plan your trip same as you do in your car. So you drive around until the low fuel light comes on in your car then look for a has station? No you start looking before you need fuel. 

As for waiting for a charger. All the chargers across Canada are all part of the same network. There is an outstanding app out there that shows you all the chragers, which ones are busy. And how long someone has been plugged in and how many cars are waiting. So its really easy to avoid a wait. And if there is a wait, kind of means the the whole idea of EVs  is working and time to add more chragers.

How does it know how many are waiting?  Plus in 5 mins the wait times at stations can change dramatically.

8 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

How does it know how many are waiting?  Plus in 5 mins the wait times at stations can change dramatically.

The app is real time. It knows how many are waiting based on how many people waiting have the app open... 

You have to remember, most EV owners are much more tech savvy then the average person. 

I know it's not there yet for the masses, but take a step back and look where it was only 5 years ago, to where they are now.  EV sales where 0.25% of total new car sales in 2015. This year they are on track to be 4% of total sales. Still a small number, but rapidly growing.

Sounds like the city folk that buy these things where the chargers are , (and take the up to $14,000 subsidy from us taxpayers) will have wait problems .

It will be the new "wait for the boat launch" of the 21st century. I can imagine it now................hey I was next in line, no you were not, I had my app on since 2 hours ago, ...but I was parked here two hours ago, .............but I reserved it three weeks ago when I reserved all the chargers in this area just in case .............. hey who unplugged my car while I was in the can .....

Not for me I will go to the Shell Station , or the Esso Station , and fill up in 5 minutes .

2 hours ago, dweese said:

The app is real time. It knows how many are waiting based on how many people waiting have the app open... 

You have to remember, most EV owners are much more tech savvy then the average person. 

I know it's not there yet for the masses, but take a step back and look where it was only 5 years ago, to where they are now.  EV sales where 0.25% of total new car sales in 2015. This year they are on track to be 4% of total sales. Still a small number, but rapidly growing.

Likely get ticketed unless they are using Android Auto or the iPhone equiv.

Bold: Thats funny.  I don't think too many tech savvy kids I have met are attracted to EV cars but whatever.    They will become better and better but make no mistake, its still a ways out.

On a side note I still have my corded drills/saws etc from over twenty years ago, can't count the number of cordless ones that have ended up in the trash, batteries and all.

Or you have the 'I don't snowmobile because they pollute' crowd, but they'll drive a SUV to a ski resort every weekend.

I take it these EVs need a special charger. So if you drove to a friend's cottage that was greater than the halfway point of the vehicle's range, you would require a charge on the return trip?

• 2 weeks later...

If the price is right great truck for the average person or city delivery IMO

Even as a light work truck, I might put on 300-500km a week on my work van,I doubt I hit 200km in a day at work so plug it in after the shift ready for tomorrow

Same goes for personal truck

Sure you are not going to haul 10,000lbs, drive halfway to BFK , but for the average truck owner that uses his truck daily and does not have to drive 200+km a day why not

Archived