First 100% Electric Pickup Truck

dweese

Interesting read, it's an all Canadian design with about 300km range currently. Great to see something like this coming out of Canada. Because clearly who ever is building it, will understands what winter is. 

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20170531/new-canadian-designed-fully-electric-pickup-revealed/#zLBgwOHisTkCvwFG.97

Now to all the EV haters, yes this won't replace truck currently sitting in your driveway. This is a first run prototype, and current plans are to build 100 units to be used as fleet vehicles. Most likely for a city works department, or local srvice truck type of environment. Public sales aren't planned until 2019, but I'm sure that will push. And FYI even at the current cost of hydro, it only cost around 21 cents to move an EV the same distance that $1.14 liter of fuel does. So hyrdo has to go up another 400% before it even matches tue currnt price of gas. And current they are only saying hyrdonwill go up 40% in the next 10 years, so EVs are still the better way.

EVs will replace the gas/diesel power engine at some point. At 43, I think I'm still young enough to see it hapoen in my life time.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was thinking of those poor EV's last time I was at the PC station off exit 156 (400).  Gotta wait much longer when a gas vehicle is occupying the charge station(s) cause the parking lot is full.

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Absolutely yes.  They need to improve the range and decrease the time needed for charging, but a definite yes.  

You gonna spend over 6 figures on one?  

In time sure, but it gonna be a while.  

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Was thinking of those poor EV's last time I was at the PC station off exit 156 (400).  Gotta wait much longer when a gas vehicle is occupying the charge station(s) cause the parking lot is full.

Port Severn. 

02Sled loves messing with city folk. Have to remind him not to park there :-P

5 hours ago, dweese said:

Interesting read, it's an all Canadian design with about 300km range currently. Great to see something like this coming out of Canada. Because clearly who ever is building it, will understands what winter is. 

http://www.autotrader.ca/newsfeatures/20170531/new-canadian-designed-fully-electric-pickup-revealed/#zLBgwOHisTkCvwFG.97

Now to all the EV haters, yes this won't replace truck currently sitting in your driveway. This is a first run prototype, and current plans are to build 100 units to be used as fleet vehicles. Most likely for a city works department, or local srvice truck type of environment. Public sales aren't planned until 2019, but I'm sure that will push. And FYI even at the current cost of hydro, it only cost around 21 cents to move an EV the same distance that $1.14 liter of fuel does. So hyrdo has to go up another 400% before it even matches tue currnt price of gas. And current they are only saying hyrdonwill go up 40% in the next 10 years, so EVs are still the better way.

EVs will replace the gas/diesel power engine at some point. At 43, I think I'm still young enough to see it hapoen in my life time.

Natural Gas can be almost as cheap as EV's if you can fill from a private meter that doesn't add road tax on it. It works out to about 45 cents a litre compared to 1.14 for gasoline after you factor in energy difference. Problem is there are no good cheap compressors to use to fill natural gas vehicles at home, that are reliable.

35 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Ya there is a push to correct that. Currently it's the municipality responsibility and only carries a $27 ticket, same as a parking ticket. 

There is a push as the province is in the process of installing 650 pay2use chargers. To make it a $200+ ticket that can be issued by any law enforcement official.

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

Natural Gas can be almost as cheap as EV's if you can fill from a private meter that doesn't add road tax on it. It works out to about 45 cents a litre compared to 1.14 for gasoline after you factor in energy difference. Problem is there are no good cheap compressors to use to fill natural gas vehicles at home, that are reliable.

Yup, guy at work did a refit on a Crown Vic to see if he could do it. Takes 7 hours from the home compressors to give him 300kms. Lots of cold weather issues as well with the system. 

That is on a refit unit. I'm sure if the OEMs came out with something designed for it. It would work better.

1 hour ago, dweese said:

Ya there is a push to correct that. Currently it's the municipality responsibility and only carries a $27 ticket, same as a parking ticket. 

There is a push as the province is in the process of installing 650 pay2use chargers. To make it a $200+ ticket that can be issued by any law enforcement official.

Well they installed them in the existing parking spaces that get overcrowded.  Not very bright.

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Well they installed them in the existing parking spaces that get overcrowded.  Not very bright.

How is it not very bright? A busy lot is clearly a sign of lots of people. Doesn't it make sence they should be installed in busy areas, so they get used and pay for the cost to install. 

If the lot is undersized, then repaint the lines and shrink the spot sizes so everyone's doors get dinged all to hell.

2 hours ago, dweese said:

How is it not very bright? A busy lot is clearly a sign of lots of people. Doesn't it make sence they should be installed in busy areas, so they get used and pay for the cost to install. 

If the lot is undersized, then repaint the lines and shrink the spot sizes so everyone's doors get dinged all to hell.

Just straddle the lines & take up 2 spots.

3 hours ago, dweese said:

I have yet to see even one ev hooked up there since they have put them in.  I am sure when they start charging for hookups it wont cost the same as at home.  Have you ordered one yet?

1 hour ago, revrnd said:

Just straddle the lines & take up 2 spots.

The funny thing is they installed them in the overflow lot near where the fuel tank refills are located.  

11 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I have yet to see even one ev hooked up there since they have put them in.  I am sure when they start charging for hookups it wont cost the same as at home.  Have you ordered one yet?

I'm in the mid 400,000s for my tesla model 3, late 2018 they tell me. However since moving the condo, I can't charge at home, so not sure what I'm going to do. Have to wait and see where life takes me...

50 minutes ago, dweese said:

I'm in the mid 400,000s for my tesla model 3, late 2018 they tell me. However since moving the condo, I can't charge at home, so not sure what I'm going to do. Have to wait and see where life takes me...

Come on man, a condo and an EV should go hand and hand.  Its the perfect combination.

I would never buy one of these things, I will stick with my duramax.  It would never be able to haul the sled trailer north, no time to stop to charge half way riding time is limited enough haha.  This would be good from someone in the city who would use it as a grocery getter and needs to pick up some supplies locally. 

And in further renewable energy news....

Canada Revenue Agency taxes solar energy....from CBC P.E.I.....

Most homeowners who install solar electric panels join the province's net metering program.

Under that program, they feed excess energy into the provincial grid when their panels produce more than their home is using. In exchange, they receive credits to draw electricity back out of the grid when the sun isn't shining.

Article:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-edward-island/net-metering-solar-pei-hst-tax-1.4143624

Canada Revenue Agency considers feeding that electricity into and out of the grid a financial transaction, even though, under P.E.I.'s system, net metering households never receive financial compensation for the electricity they generate.

That means homeowners have to claim the electricity they generate as income, and they're also charged HST on the electricity they draw back out of the system, even if they've earned enough credits that they don't pay for the electricity itself.

Them that are getting "a few breaks" in any aspect or recreational pursuit here and there and aren't declaring it better start keeping good records! You might be the next CRA target....

9 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Come on man, a condo and an EV should go hand and hand.  Its the perfect combination.

Ya backwards ass thinking old farts on the condo board. There are at least 7 Tesla owners in my building. I've talked to one already and he doesn't get it. The building has the power in the garage for it. Condo board won't approve it. They're worried the hydro rates will go up..

9 hours ago, yamaha06 said:

I would never buy one of these things, I will stick with my duramax.  It would never be able to haul the sled trailer north, no time to stop to charge half way riding time is limited enough haha.  This would be good from someone in the city who would use it as a grocery getter and needs to pick up some supplies locally. 

Not today, like i said this is a prototype, but give it 5-10 years. And I'll bet you real money it will be real competition for for your Duramax.

2 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I love how people are so eager to be sold down the river.

"We are either kings or pawns of men"

6 hours ago, dweese said:

Ya backwards ass thinking old farts on the condo board. There are at least 7 Tesla owners in my building. I've talked to one already and he doesn't get it. The building has the power in the garage for it. Condo board won't approve it. They're worried the hydro rates will go up..

Not today, like i said this is a prototype, but give it 5-10 years. And I'll bet you real money it will be real competition for for your Duramax.

Guess you will have to get a generator and run it all night. Bet you would get a plug real quick then :-)

It will be interesting to see what the payload is. Probably suited more for a supervisor's/gofer's truck running close to it's home base.

On ‎02‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:45 PM, Canuck said:

Port Severn. 

02Sled loves messing with city folk. Have to remind him not to park there :-P

:rotflmao: My current pet peeve are the clowns at the launch ramp across the road in the township park. I was launching my boat a couple of weeks ago. Pulled into the lot. Took all the canvas off, hung the fenders and put the dock lines on the cleats. I get in the truck and start moving toward the ramp. The boat is ready to float and move off the ramp. As I start moving an idiot comes flying by me with his mini van and trailer and backs up to the ramp stopping just short of the water. THEN he gets out and starts to prep his boat while completely blocking the ramp.

Archived