Renegade vs TNT Handling

signfan

Looking at a couple used 2014 renegade's.  I was very happy with my 2014 TNT.  Do the renegades ride and handle as well as the TNT?  I'm just leary going from a 121" track to a 136" track.  99% of my riding is trail riding.  Will the sled push in the corners with a longer track?  One of them will be for my wife who is an experienced rider, but doesn't like heavy steering.

Go for it you and the wife won't be disappointed at all, providing they are etec's and not heavier 1200.  I find the 136" steer very easily and if setup properly very minimal extra effort required if any. The extra traction and floatation is well worth it and I find the longer tracks trail ride a little better too, when you get lots of stutter bumps. The longer track sleds also give you more versatility and make it easier to carry luggage and fuel for longer trips, without being all cramped up. I have two 136" sleds now and will never buy a 121" again. Cheers you won't regret it at all. Just make sure they will fit in or on your trailer before purchasing.

Yeah looking at 900 ACE's for both of them.  My TNT had that motor and I fell in love with it.  There was the odd day I would have liked another 20 km/h of top end, but other than that it was great.  I'll never go two stroke again.  The 1200's are more money unless you get an older chassis model which I don't want to look at.  You guys are putting my worries to rest on the long track.  Thanks.  Trailer is 11' clamshell, so I think I'm ok on the trailer front.

9 minutes ago, signfan said:

Yeah looking at 900 ACE's for both of them.  My TNT had that motor and I fell in love with it.  There was the odd day I would have liked another 20 km/h of top end, but other than that it was great.  I'll never go two stroke again.  The 1200's are more money unless you get an older chassis model which I don't want to look at.  You guys are putting my worries to rest on the long track.  Thanks.  Trailer is 11' clamshell, so I think I'm ok on the trailer front.

Get the 600 etec for the wife. No matter how I setup the 900, it still feels heavier then the 600 etec. That extra 23 pounds makes a big difference on a sled. I kept the 600 etec for my girl friend to ride and she loves it. That would be my advice. 600 etec is actually slighter better on fuel I find too over 1000km's I ran both sleds side by side in.

14 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Get the 600 etec for the wife. No matter how I setup the 900, it still feels heavier then the 600 etec. That extra 23 pounds makes a big difference on a sled. I kept the 600 etec for my girl friend to ride and she loves it. That would be my advice. 600 etec is actually slighter better on fuel I find too over 1000km's I ran both sleds side by side in.

I know what you're saying.  She's prone to headaches though and two stroke fumes trigger them.  I know e-tecs are better for this, but the smell is still there.

18 minutes ago, signfan said:

I know what you're saying.  She's prone to headaches though and two stroke fumes trigger them.  I know e-tecs are better for this, but the smell is still there.

Maybe buy one 900 renegade and keep tnt short track for another season.  That way she can make her own decision and you might end up riding short track for the winter. Sure better, then complaining all winter about it, if she doesn't like 900 in a long track configuration.

2 hours ago, signfan said:

no fumes on the 600 etec. The damn sled uses a tea spoon of oil for 8000 km. Scares me but that's the truth.

The 800 on the other hand.

Having recently bought a 16 Renegade Enduro 800, I've been spending some time reading the Doo Talk forums, and threads about Renegades in particular.

There are plenty of extremely happy 900 ACE owners, many calling the 900 the best engine they've ever experienced. 

9 hours ago, Blake G said:

Having recently bought a 16 Renegade Enduro 800, I've been spending some time reading the Doo Talk forums, and threads about Renegades in particular.

There are plenty of extremely happy 900 ACE owners, many calling the 900 the best engine they've ever experienced. 

900 is an fantastic engine and will equal etec performance (maybe exceed 600 in torque at low end of speed range). it feels very balanced for a four stroke and don't notice the extra weight that much, especially with the ts ski's. It is harder on the shoulders after a few long days though, then 600 etec. 

• 1 month later...

Bought the 2014 renegade for the wife.  900 ace motor.  Looking at the same sled, but a 2016 for myself.  One thing that caught me off guard is the 2014 has a 16" wide track.  The 2016 specs say that doo went back to 15" tracks.  Will be interesting to see how the extra width effects things.

3 hours ago, signfan said:

Bought the 2014 renegade for the wife.  900 ace motor.  Looking at the same sled, but a 2016 for myself.  One thing that caught me off guard is the 2014 has a 16" wide track.  The 2016 specs say that doo went back to 15" tracks.  Will be interesting to see how the extra width effects things.

It will float the extra weight better in powder no doubt. All skandics are 16 inches wide. Like a great big snow shoe. Back country renegades are 16" wide too I believe. Only down side, I see is won't turn as easily and less traction going up hills because of the bigger track print (weight not as concentrated with wider track). 

1 hour ago, Viperules700 said:

It will float the extra weight better in powder no doubt. All skandics are 16 inches wide. Like a great big snow shoe. Back country renegades are 16" wide too I believe. Only down side, I see is won't turn as easily and less traction going up hills because of the bigger track print (weight not as concentrated with wider track). 

All Skandics are 20 or 24 inches wide.

Turning will be nearly identical from one to the other. 

Probably be better climbing hills with the wider track .

Only thing you got right was the flotation issue.

9 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Nahhhh! Cant be the only thing..

18 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Be nice.

Denis007, Viperules700, and signfan are all nice guys. I always enjoy their posts.

Archived