Henry's - Frying Pan Island

02Sled

Capture1.JPG.ae1dee57319a48acd9284e76a2bd012a.JPG

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WOW!!

Thanks for the info. 

I suspect they had fewer overnight guests as well. Many Gerogian Bay marinas reporting fewer 'transients'. 

If anyone can recommend boat accessible restaurants in the Midland to Sault Ste. Marie small craft route, I’d appreciate it.

Here’s my list:

Midland : The Boathouse at town dock isn’t bad. Any town restaurant is accessible (park at marina - you can walk all the way up the hill to the cultural centre (former movie theatre) and back. 

Penetang - I still like Towne Dock.

Wye Heritage - Henry’s Fish n Chips.

Honey Harbour - Flynn’s Harbour House (pub fare);  sandwich place across from LCBO, Top of the Cove at South Bay Cove Marina ($$$). The Waubic restaurant, between Lock 43 and Big Chute (on Severn River) is boat access only - a real treat, but not on the above Georgian Bay channel.

Parry Sound - Bistro on the Bay, Boston Pizza, Maurizio’s Pizza (top of hill), some breakfast and sandwich places (Lill’s Place)

Snug Harbour - Gilly’s (never been...definitely this year)

Pointe au Baril - ??? - (Payne’s Fisn n Chips?? Saw an ad)

Byng Inlet (Britt) - St. Amant’s Restaurant.

__

And then...as you head north??

Killarney - Sportsman’s , local Fish and Chips

North Channel - ?? Hopefully someone can assist.

__

Fugly's in Byng Inlet this summer. Pointing 'er north.  Sault Ste. Marie is 200 nautical miles away ... boat cruises at 10 knots per hour ..  a 20 hour / 2 day trip).   SSM here we come :-P . Might even dip the beak in Lake Superior.

I believe it is Nautilus Marina in Honey Harbour. There is a restaurant up stairs (Irish Pub style) with an outside deck looking out at the water.

Capture1.JPG.1eb991980113dd5e879c90cbe1a70e52.JPG

Victoria Harbour directly across from Queens Cove Marina is another restaurant that I can't recall the name of. We were there a couple of times last summer.  Also with a nice deck overlooking the water and the marina. LCBO and Foodland are also a short walk away.

Capture1.JPG.60efa54238cc27cf0c6df919359efe5d.JPG

In downtown Midland, Double Happiness Chinese Food a short walk up from the town dock on the east side of King St. Also right near the water is Lilly's. Really good Italian food. She used to run Amicci's in Honey Harbour. A very short cab ride away from the waterfront is The Arch Steakhouse (one of my favourites) on the north side of Yonge St west of King St. near the Yonge St entrance to Little Lake Park.

Capture1.JPG.36ffc958c42a79daea4be2c94d2b3aa3.JPG

Capture1.JPG

I can vouch for the Waubic and Henry's at Wye Heritage. Great places, great food. When we

went to Lill's in Parry Sound, we were not impressed but maybe they were having an off day. The locals love the place.

Waubic is one of our favourites. Usually rather than take the boat up and have to go through Big Chute we tend to call our friends who are above the Chute and take their boat from there. Not on the Midland to Sault small craft route but definitely worth the trip.

It's coming back to me how the snowmobile suit always manages to shrink a bit during the summer.

there is a take out in Little current to west side town dock { good fish and chips, and ice cream} and a pizza place short walk to the east in Town

Gore bay has a couple good spots as well don't remember names but town is small, and yes Gilly's is good

Wow! Two of the grand prize draws for the Orillia Perch Fest was an airplane trip to Henry's on the island and dinner.

Kerry

Thanks for the suggestions, group. 

There are some incredible suggestions. 

I assume Fugly is going for a summer trip

Little Current has ( as indicated) several including the Anchor Inn on main street. A short walk uphill will get you to Garrys ( great breakie) . Nothing yet in Kagawong except great coffee and chocolate. Oh, walking up the hill to Bridal Veil Falls you will find the best fries on the island. Gore Bay has Buoys at the harbour and maybe BK's across from BMO on main street. Twin Bluffs closed. Meldrum Bay has the Meldrum Bay Inn ( great food.)

Here is a pic from Bridal Veil falls from a couple of years ago on Manitoulin, It was amazing day.

049.JPG

9 hours ago, Faceman said:

Little Current has ( as indicated) several including the Anchor Inn on main street. A short walk uphill will get you to Garrys ( great breakie) . Nothing yet in Kagawong except great coffee and chocolate. Oh, walking up the hill to Bridal Veil Falls you will find the best fries on the island. Gore Bay has Buoys at the harbour and maybe BK's across from BMO on main street. Twin Bluffs closed. Meldrum Bay has the Meldrum Bay Inn ( great food.)

Highly recommend the Anchor Inn!

10 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I assume Fugly is going for a summer trip

Yes, indeed.

Thx for the additional tips, group.

Pics from the Falls to follow!!!

Just heard apparently Gordon's in Gore Bay has been sold???? Just whipers. It was quite the spot in its day.

Visiting a relative on St' Joesph Island last summer and we ate at Hilton Beach. There is the Tilt'n Hilton (where we ate) & the Island Bar & Grill which is across the street. Both are a short walk from the harbour.

Anchor inn has good food reasonably priced.

Gary's has changed names I think.

Pizza Place is Luc's, one foot on a banana peel and the other in bankruptcy.

Nice little coffee bar right on the main street 

Towards the bridge is 3 cows and a cone, YUM YUM YUM, generally 30+ flavors of frozen delight and good food as well.

On ‎16‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:03 PM, 02Sled said:

Waubic is one of our favourites. Usually rather than take the boat up and have to go through Big Chute we tend to call our friends who are above the Chute and take their boat from there. Not on the Midland to Sault small craft route but definitely worth the trip.

It's coming back to me how the snowmobile suit always manages to shrink a bit during the summer.

Wonder if the Waubic got flooded again?

I can imagine the Waubic is flooded. Friends who live on the Severn River below lock 42 have sand bagged their place and the water level is about 2 inches above the top of their basement windows. The water coming into Georgian Bay at lock 45 is huge. The currents are pushing the buoys to the point of submersion. Lake Couchiching is higher than I have seen it since I rented my slip over 10 years ago.

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 10:17 AM, catinental couch said:

I can imagine the Waubic is flooded. Friends who live on the Severn River below lock 42 have sand bagged their place and the water level is about 2 inches above the top of their basement windows. The water coming into Georgian Bay at lock 45 is huge. The currents are pushing the buoys to the point of submersion. Lake Couchiching is higher than I have seen it since I rented my slip over 10 years ago.

The Waubic just may be lucky enough to have been spared. While there is lots of water running through the dam at Port Severn lock 45 the water is only a few inches above average and we have seen it just as high mid summer. I'm using my boathouse as the gauge for the water behind lock 45. Big Chute is the only thing between lock 45 and the Waubic. Just off the Severn River just above Big Chute is Tea Lake with a direct water connection between the two. Friends are on Tea Lake right at the river joining it to the Severn River and the water is only a few inches higher for them as well.

I was at my slip installing dock lines, rollers and hydro cords etc. on Sunday, and the water was 4 inches up the 2x12 dock planks. That is 6 inches higher than it was 2 weeks ago. One of my neighbours at the marina went out to the island and back with his 32 Sea Ray with twin 454s and the current at the narrows was making the boat almost uncontrollable. He said he had lots of throttle on to get from Couch to Simcoe.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

He said he had lots of throttle on to get from Couch to Simcoe.

Great report, Thx.

A buddy was issued a speeding ticket in those narrows (under normal conditions). Low speed limit...careful in there.

Our dock on Six Mile Lake (close to Georgian Bay) has the same high level issue. Water's a few inches below the dock surface. Waves overlap the dock. Worst was Friday night...actually dropped a bit over the weekend, even with the rain. Must've opened up Lock 45 and the side channel.

Archived