What sled is easiest on the back?

Blake G

What sled is easiest on an old fellow's back, when riding bumpy trails? 

Cadillac SUV with Blizzaks ......

:lmao:

Taller seating position helps more than the suspension quality.  My XS MXz has a very tall seat, allowing my legs to be more straight, thus easier to carry some body weight on my legs and less on the seat.  The R-motion is incredible, but the hands/seat/feet proportions are more important for all-day riding.

70sskidoo.jpg

8 hours ago, Denis007 said:

Taller seating position helps more than the suspension quality.  My XS MXz has a very tall seat, allowing my legs to be more straight, thus easier to carry some body weight on my legs and less on the seat.  The R-motion is incredible, but the hands/seat/feet proportions are more important for all-day riding.

I know what you mean.

My 09 TZ1 Turbo has the "infinite rider positioning" seat, otherwise known as adjustable height. Definitely easier on the back when the seat is higher, but the trade off is a little less cornering ability because of the raised centre of gravity. That sled is very heavy, and there's a limit to what you can do at high speeds on bumpy or twisty trails. Great on smooth trails though.

I rode a Polaris Pro X AXYS in Hearst two years ago, and yes, the extra high seat felt good on the back. Once again, the sled seemed a little tippier than the Pro S AXYS.

For Skidoo's, is there much variation in seat height between the MXZX, Enduro, Renegades, etc?

21 minutes ago, gobills said:

Have you ridden a axys for a few hours or so??  Other than just a test run??  

Never more than half an hour at a time. Impressive ride and handling without a doubt. Felt good on the back due to great suspension. Not sure how AXYS compares with various BRP products in terms of ride, as I've not had enough time to compare. Five minutes or half an hour gives a good idea, but you're right, a much longer ride would likely tell the tale.

As I mentioned above, it seemed to me that the Pro X AXYS had a higher seat than a Pro S, so perhaps that would be easier on the back on a longer run. Nunz should know about this, as he's had a few AXYS variants.

I have not ridden a XRS.   I know that with my old sled with Ben on the back it was still good.  All it would take was a couple clicks to get the same ride as if I was by myself.  Then when it got rough couple more clicks and it continued to ride the same. 

Up until my current Pro S I'd have said the Cat F sled with the adjustable seat. As said above, only problem is how badly handling suffers with the seat up, super comfy though. Full season / 3000 miles on the '16  Axys now, by a considerable margin, warmest n most comfortable sled I've owned to date. I've got a lower disc issue plus get cold easily causing of meds I'm taking. No back or leg issues, even on a longer 250 or 300 mile day, tall windshields extra height and extra lower air deflectors keeps my hands n body warm enough that even on a -30ish day I'm cycling handlebar heaters between high and low n even sometimes off. My biggest bitch about the sled, comes with zero storage unless you purchase. Combo of rear bag and large windshield bag gives me all the room I need plus provided a spot to mount my GPS.  Just for reference, I'm a hair over 6' and 225lbs.

Sled has been dead nuts reliable (it did however eat two idler wheels + upper idler wheel bearing but still on original belt), gets terrific fuel mileage, smokes very very little, is quiet, low vibration and even bone stock performs well beyond my expectations. 

When purchased, plan was to keep n ride one year only then trade, will be riding it for at least one more season, yes like it that much.

20170101_101808.jpg

20170111_113002.jpg

2 hours ago, Blake G said:

The easiest sled on the back is the one that doesn't get stuck or has winches on both ends.

I do miss the adjustable seat that was on my old Jag Z1. Just changing the position part way through the day made so much of a difference. The current ZR7000's don't have that and I WAS finding my back would be sore after a few hours. When we would stop for a break while everyone got off their sleds and walked around I found myself staying on the sled due to the sore back. I softened up the rear suspension just a bit and that made a significant difference as it was more absorbant through the bumps. Have you tried a back brace? I am now using one after asking people here what they were doing and it makes a huge difference. A friend of mine has a two up Cat where the rear passenger back rest can be moved forward for the rider. He tells me it makes a huge difference.

5 hours ago, Blake G said:

For Skidoo's, is there much variation in seat height between the MXZX, Enduro, Renegades, etc?

I can't say for sure Blake, but I don't believe so from one unit to another in the same generation.  There was noticeable change from S/ZX to REV & XP to XS/XM and now the new generation.  Seems they get taller every time.  And yes, I notice that despite having far superior suspension and chassis, my new XS chassis is considerably more tippy than the old S chassis.  Much more forgiving though, whether hitting a bump with one ski or 2, or the skidframe.  The ride between a Doo and an Axys sled are comparable to a point, both have excellent handling and ride, when used in their element.

Blake, As you know I have had a Pro X, a Axys Assault and Karen has been driving a 15 Adventure 600 the past couple seasons and will be riding a 17 Adventure for this upcoming season.

The Pro X is definitely a big bump aggressive type of sled.

The Assault is a great crossover and amazing in deep powder which I don't think you do a lot of, On a whopped out trail the X handles the trail much better.

The Adventure Pro S is a great handling sled in my opinion as it does corners really well and still handles the bumps quite well.

Last winter I tried quite a few different brands and again in my opinion the Gen 4 Ski Doo 850 chassis and the Axys are excellent handling machines with the higher seating position.

I actually seriously considering a XRS 850 but it all came down to Dollars in staying with the Polaris.

I found the seating position of the newer Cats and Yamaha's still a little too low for my comfort but that is just my impression.

Hope this helps you in your search.

7 hours ago, Blake G said:

I would say a new grand touring Se with R motion air suspension would be the one to beat. Only two engine choices though 900, or 1200 four stroke Enduro is the same setup just abit stiffer riding I would imagine. Nice to have the backrest on grand touring's though. That is a super nice feature that I really like and rack is handy to carry lunch if need be. Enduro is a nice sled too, just costs dollars to add everything in that the grand touring already has. Either way being able to change how re suspension behaves by clicking a setting on dash is real nice feature, that saves the back alone and eliminates the need to get down on your hands and knee's, to change spring block settings. I think you would really like enduro. Can be two sleds in one. (ride real soft and when you want to go faster, can firm up the air suspension and keep up to your buddies). :-)

I've had my eye on a low mileage 16 Enduro 800 etec, and picked it up this afternoon. Private sale at a good price, and I'll pay the tax at the licence bureau. Can't get the Enduro with the new 850, so I don't think there's much difference between a 16 and a brand new one. I'm interested in trying the air-ride version of the r-motion rear suspension, and the adjustable Pilot TS skis. I'm tired of having to ride a 4 stroke when the trails are less than perfect.

The only way I'll know if it rides as smooth as an AXYS, will be to compare with some of my Polaris buddies' machines next winter, assuming they'll still talk to me. (I promise to keep my Indy Polaris and at least one of the Cats.)

20170508_120154.jpg

20170508_115814.jpg

Congratulations on the new sled, Blake.  Hope you love it.

Congrats Blake, nice sled even if it is a Doo, I am sure you will appreciate the lighter weight, Are you getting rid of one of the cats?

Congrats Blake! Have to agree with CC, above. 'tho. 

The only member who can belong, and contribute, to:

Arctic Chat

Dootalk

Polaris forum? (oddly enough, one doesn't come to mind)

All he needs is a Team Blue sled - now we're talking back pain!!!

Enjoy the Enduro.  Hope to see it on a Snowcrest/Baxter tour next year.

Congrats, Blake...looks like a great find.

The only thing that looks to be missing from the pics is a set of mirrors.  You might also want to think about switching out the windshield to one a bit higher, for those really cold northern rides.

Thank you, folks.

I've used all my allotted likes for the day!

Nunz, I like all my sleds, so I'm not sure what to do. It's been enough of a pain with three machines. Seems a bit much to have four, but they are all good for certain things. Imagine having too many wives??

I love the touring Cat, for certain types of riding, but it is the oldest of the set. Perfect for riding railbeds on really cold days, assuming the trail is well groomed. Smooth, warm, lots of power.

Aside from the cost of keeping four on the snow, is the chore of moving them around and keeping them under cover, and serviced, etc., when I don't have a nice big sled shop like you.

26 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Thank you, folks.

I've used all my allotted likes for the day!

Nunz, I like all my sleds, so I'm not sure what to do. It's been enough of a pain with three machines. Seems a bit much to have four, but they are all good for certain things. Imagine having too many wives??

I love the touring Cat, for certain types of riding, but it is the oldest of the set. Perfect for riding railbeds on really cold days, assuming the trail is well groomed. Smooth, warm, lots of power.

Aside from the cost of keeping four on the snow, is the chore of moving them around and keeping them under cover, and serviced, etc., when I don't have a nice big sled shop like you.

lol, maybe I should rent you out a parking spot in the garage... OC snowmobile parking storage/base camp. hahahahahahaha

Archived