Chalk River Hotels.

Dave K

Might be heading to Chalk River for an event at the end of June.  Any recommendations on where or where not to stay.  It would be for one or two nights on a weekend Fri Sat. 

I don't think you have a whole lot of choices 

Deep River is just up the road.

Bears Den?

23 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Deep River is just up the road.

Bears Den?

Do they happen to be a sled supporter?

29 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Do they happen to be a sled supporter?

Yes they are a club supporter and are on the district trail map. Have a restaurant on site. I can't speak for motel never stayed there, but food is good. I have heard the rates are very reasonable, for the rooms as well. Nothing fancy is what people were saying, and have good beers on tap at restaurant and gas is across the street. 

If you are taking the wife, I would recommend quality inn and suites in Pettawa. They are a sled supporter too and have good facilities and free breakfast. 

Have a good trip :) (ps I would probably leave the sled at home this time of year) 

47 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Yes they are a club supporter and are on the district trail map. Have a restaurant on site. I can't speak for motel never stayed there, but food is good. I have heard the rates are very reasonable, for the rooms as well. Nothing fancy is what people were saying, and have good beers on tap at restaurant and gas is across the street. 

If you are taking the wife, I would recommend quality inn and suites in Pettawa. They are a sled supporter too and have good facilities and free breakfast. 

Have a good trip :) (ps I would probably leave the sled at home this time of year) 

Thanks.  If I did go, it would be for a firefit competition.  I used to laugh at my wife's friends who would drive 4+ hrs for a 30 sec rodeo competition somewhere.  A few years later, and I think nothing of driving 6+ hrs one way for a 2 min competition :-)  

16 minutes ago, Dave K said:

Thanks.  If I did go, it would be for a firefit competition.  I used to laugh at my wife's friends who would drive 4+ hrs for a 30 sec rodeo competition somewhere.  A few years later, and I think nothing of driving 6+ hrs one way for a 2 min competition :-)  

I was one of those crazies that would trailer hours to the rodeo. I would haul with a friend of mine. We would try and enter so that we could rope early morning at one rodeo, not wait around for the results, load up and trailer a few more hours to catch another in the afternoon then load up for one more the next morning. At least at the rodeo you got paid money when you win. My wife would haul hours to a quarter horse show but that was a full weekend. Only thing was she would drop over a $100 a day in entry fees but only get ribbons and trophies . That was a long time ago when I was much younger.

Did your wife go to the rodeos as well or just her friends? 

4 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I was one of those crazies that would trailer hours to the rodeo. I would haul with a friend of mine. We would try and enter so that we could rope early morning at one rodeo, not wait around for the results, load up and trailer a few more hours to catch another in the afternoon then load up for one more the next morning. At least at the rodeo you got paid money when you win. My wife would haul hours to a quarter horse show but that was a full weekend. Only thing was she would drop over a $100 a day in entry fees but only get ribbons and trophies . That was a long time ago when I was much younger.

Did your wife go to the rodeos as well or just her friends? 

We just do the local club shows.

Some of the people who ride at them, also ride the rodeo's  I remember one weekend, where there was a Rodeo in Espanola on Sat, back home to Monkton, and then New Market on Sunday

I guess if my daughter wants to ride the rodeo's, I cant stop her.  Last fall for Firefit Nationals, I flew to Calgary, stayed 4 nights in a Motel, rented a car, for a total of about 6 minutes on the course over 4 days. :-)  

34 minutes ago, Dave K said:

We just do the local club shows.

Some of the people who ride at them, also ride the rodeo's  I remember one weekend, where there was a Rodeo in Espanola on Sat, back home to Monkton, and then New Market on Sunday

I guess if my daughter wants to ride the rodeo's, I cant stop her.  Last fall for Firefit Nationals, I flew to Calgary, stayed 4 nights in a Motel, rented a car, for a total of about 6 minutes on the course over 4 days. :-)  

At one time I got to the point where I said I had road founder. We had two trucks and two trailers. One for me to go to the rodeo and one for my to go to the Quarter Horse shows. Then she and her horse got really good at it. Next thing I know we are driving to Columbus Ohio each fall for the week long Quarter Horse Congress. Then she qualifies for the Worlds Championship Show in Oklahoma City for 5 events. Did that for 3 years.

Be careful.... if your daughter gets good at the rodeo circuit before you know it she will be wanting to go to the National Finals Rodeo in Las Vegas.

When I think of the money we spent over the years on horse shows and rodeos I shudder. Sledding is negligible in comparison.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

Sledding is negligible in comparison.

We had the vet out a few weeks ago to look at one of the horses.  I didn't know whether to be happy, cause the sled budget just increased for this winter, or sad cause the darn horses just cost me more money. :-)

2 years ago Easter weekend emergency surgery at university of Guelph for my wife's horse for a pendiculated intestine. They removed 19 feet of intestines. $19,000 later he was fully recovered. I could have bought a lot of sled time for that  

19 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

2 years ago Easter weekend emergency surgery at university of Guelph for my wife's horse for a pendiculated intestine. They removed 19 feet of intestines. $19,000 later he was fully recovered. I could have bought a lot of sled time for that  

I remember you writing about that.  I can honestly say that I don't think we have invested $19000 total in our horses.  The most expensive one we have is $2000, and the least is $800, with $7500 invested in a trailer.  Which puts us about $13,500 with all horses (4) and a trailer.  That doesn't include all the "extra's"  though.  Like they say.  Happy Wife, Happy Life., 

My oldest son and his wife are horse people. I won't invest a penny in those nags. Nothing but expensive hay burning expenses. But I guess if we were all the same, it would be a pretty boring world. My hobbies burn fossil fuels and leave large carbon foot prints. Take that Wynnebag.

Know anyone that wants a Billy Cook western show saddle, two silver bridles, silver show halter, quilted bag for the saddle and the bridles/halter and a custom natural pine saddle rack

55 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Know anyone that wants a Billy Cook western show saddle, two silver bridles, silver show halter, quilted bag for the saddle and the bridles/halter and a custom natural pine saddle rack

Why does STG come to mind?

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

What size is the saddle?

I think it's 15 1/2" I'll check 

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 8:39 AM, Dave K said:

Perfect place for you to Crash no doubt. It is nice that they have a bar, restaurant and motel all in one site. I mostly here positive feed back from people that have stayed there. Food is really good, locals go out of their way to eat there.

On May-08-17 at 3:01 PM, Viperules700 said:

Perfect place for you to Crash no doubt. It is nice that they have a bar, restaurant and motel all in one site. I mostly here positive feed back from people that have stayed there. Food is really good, locals go out of their way to eat there.

awesome place Bears Den...I grew up in Deep River....everything you need close by, even Beer store  in walking distance....

• 5 weeks later...

Bear's Den is a great spot to stay, restaurant is good and they are very supportive to our snowmobile club.  We go there quite often for supper.  

• 2 months later...

Can anyone help me w/ this puzzle. I have a listing for a Haper's Motel. The only info I can find on the 'net is this post card:

598ddf0bbec34_HarpersMotel.JPG.79a00a54da4fd86c223fdaa686232213.JPG

I've driven thru Chalk River a couple of times over the past 3 years & don't recall any buildings that resemble it.

38 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Can anyone help me w/ this puzzle. I have a listing for a Haper's Motel. The only info I can find on the 'net is this post card:

I've driven thru Chalk River a couple of times over the past 3 years & don't recall any buildings that resemble it.

LOL, Nope never seen anything that looked like that either, mind you, judging by the vehicles, I may not of been around when this picture was taken.

Who know's, there are places where that could of been there at one time.  Trying to see if I recognize any of the buildings in the background but nothing coming to mind.

8 minutes ago, shawnj said:

LOL, Nope never seen anything that looked like that either, mind you, judging by the vehicles, I may not of been around when this picture was taken.

Who know's, there are places where that could of been there at one time.  Trying to see if I recognize any of the buildings in the background but nothing coming to mind.

LOL

Thanks Shawn, 1 of the cars is definitely a '59 Chev. Possibly an early 60s Chev to the right of it. I'll update it to closed.

57 minutes ago, revrnd said:

LOL

Thanks Shawn, 1 of the cars is definitely a '59 Chev. Possibly an early 60s Chev to the right of it. I'll update it to closed.

Be interesting to actually know where that was if so indeed Chalk River at one time.  I will ask around. 

7 hours ago, revrnd said:

Looks like it belongs on Kingston Road, back home in Scarberia!!

Archived