What's Happening at OFSC Head Office?

bbakernbay

2 hours ago, Greggie said:

How far are you guys with Mots?

In the final stages of it, I honestly have no idea whats going on.

It seems to be a big secret.

I can honestly I don't give a flying F!@# anymore.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lot of that going around Soup!

Seems to be the same lack of information/ clear direction in our district, I would be interested in hearing from others  what their perception of progress or lack thereof is. what are you being told about new groomers, refurbishment, possible redistribution or remain status quo etc

Well, there is no or almost no information about MOTS going to the Districts and Clubs. They have no clue what the status is about equipment, bank accounts and so on. May is almost done and then it's summer. Don't expect much done before the September AGM.

When I returned to sledding about six years ago, I was surprised and disappointed to find that so little information is shared in a timely fashion with the OFSC clubs.

Perhaps the OFSC executive and governors deem it unwise to share information prematurely, in case it leads to rumours and strife. It seems the general strategy is to wait until the decision-making processes are complete at the Governor and Executive Committee level, before sharing decisions with the districts and clubs.

Not a system that I find particularly attractive, but maybe it's the best approach?

Hopefully the District Governors have a good handle on what's going on.

Why wouldn't the AGM be right after the Year end like in June?

Makes no sense to make decisions in late September for the up coming season. Those decisions end up being a "motivated" and rushed decision like in past years, all or nothing.

Example, groomer decisions need to be made before October. 

Just a Dumb Blond's opinion. 

42 minutes ago, Doogirl69 said:

Why wouldn't the AGM be right after the Year end like in June?

Makes no sense to make decisions in late September for the up coming season. Those decisions end up being a "motivated" and rushed decision like in past years, all or nothing.

Example, groomer decisions need to be made before October. 

Just a Dumb Blond's opinion. 

I'd call it a smart blonde's opinion. The status quo of making a change is broken. In any business today they talk about being agile and responsive to ever evolving changes and needs. For OFSC a needed change is identified in the current season (2016/2017)... the club and the district debate the merits then when all aligned, if in time for the AGM get it on the agenda. Sept rolls around and there is a discussion and consideration of the merits at AGM (2017). They perhaps decide to have a committee look at it and report back a year later at AGM (2018). Then the recommendations are made and voted on. The change passes but won't be able to be implemented in time for the coming season (2018/2019. It will get implemented though for the 2019/2020 season. Pretty agile when it takes 3 years to make a change. So now it is implemented and the needs that were driving the change have evolved yet again since the needs and expectations of the permit buyers (customers) have changed yet again, perhaps a couple of times.

Real sad for sure,when it takes 3 years to implement changes to polices. Sounds worse then most government red tape I am running into trying to get my permit for my new house. 

One Advantage that my area had with whole MOTS plan was we where doing 90% of it already.

4 hours ago, soupkids said:

One Advantage that my area had with whole MOTS plan was we where doing 90% of it already.

I think that you guys can be more compliant to mots then District 5 and 9. They have still a long way to go....

2 hours ago, bbakernbay said:

Has the person been hired who is to be in charge of the OFSC Fleet?

Yes, his name is Chris, if I am right. From what I heard is that he came to the conclusion that this year was the last year of the groomer replacement program because the Ofsc has no money anymore to buy that amount of replacement groomers. Maybe this year 3-4 groomers only....

Next question is why keep reducing groomers if you don't get a new One anymore?

1 hour ago, Greggie said:

Yes, his name is Chris, if I am right. From what I heard is that he came to the conclusion that this year was the last year of the groomer replacement program because the Ofsc has no money anymore to buy that amount of replacement groomers. Maybe this year 3-4 groomers only....

Next question is why keep reducing groomers if you don't get a new One anymore?

Yikes, I thought the Groomer Replacement Program was carefully financially designed by the OFSC staff and we are now told it is unsustainable, even after 2 great years of permit sales.  What is going on?

8 minutes ago, bbakernbay said:

Yikes, I thought the Groomer Replacement Program was carefully financially designed by the OFSC staff and we are now told it is unsustainable, even after 2 great years of permit sales.  What is going on?

Brian, were you really thinking that? Where would the money come from. They had a couple of years ago between $600,000 to $900,000 to spent. Last two years they were spending about $5,000,000. That is about 25% of all permit sales....

On ‎19‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:05 PM, Greggie said:

Brian, were you really thinking that? Where would the money come from. They had a couple of years ago between $600,000 to $900,000 to spent. Last two years they were spending about $5,000,000. That is about 25% of all permit sales....

Bottom line is everything is going up fast because of the weak dollar. I bet a groomer is approx 20 percent more today, then 3 years ago. That would throw a huge wrench into a replacement program. Some of our equipment is 30 percent more today, then 2013 and apparently going to get worse with the new clown's nafta agreement in the works.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

But we continue to sell Trail Permits at $160 blissfully ignoring all the financial and other realities we are facing.

That is one problem for sure. If all riders knew the money is being used wisely, most people wouldn't have a problem with paying more.

i have not ever seen the money spent wisely ,but thats just my 2 cents,i will still buy 2 passes every year until my body or wife wont let me ride 

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 2:07 PM, Viperules700 said:

Bottom line is everything is going up fast because of the weak dollar. I bet a groomer is approx 20 percent more today, then 3 years ago. That would throw a huge wrench into a replacement program. Some of our equipment is 30 percent more today, then 2013 and apparently going to get worse with the new clown's nafta agreement in the works.

Equipment prices are also increasing due to Tier IV diesel emission standards - higher up front cost and increased operating costs too.

BOG meeting is this Saturday, normal for their meetings to be on  a Saturday.

Livin'

Should hear who the new Executive Director is and hopefully some announcement on TDF $$ as well as Groomer Replacement Funding.

IMHO the 10 year, 15,000 hour replacement target is not financially sustainable without some major outside funding.

There are some well maintained 10 year old groomers that still have useful life in them.

1 hour ago, bbakernbay said:

Should hear who the new Executive Director is and hopefully some announcement on TDF $$ as well as Groomer Replacement Funding.

IMHO the 10 year, 15,000 hour replacement target is not financially sustainable without some major outside funding.

There are some well maintained 10 year old groomers that still have useful life in them.

Very true.  Equipment age is not the key measure and it seems too many people are getting hung up on it.  The replacement program should be looking at uptime and total cost of operation.  There is some correlation to age, but lots of other factors to consider that no one is reviewing properly.  Hour meters are a better judge of this, but they don't tell the whole story either.  

Archived