Atv poker run? Anyone go?

Bigdaddy63250

Hey all...curious to see if anyone went on the poker run today in kearney?  How was it?  How was turnout?  Website shows they stopped taking entries week before the event as it was reaching maximum capacity. 

460 showed up for this one .+12 and sunny .left from edgewater for a 105 k run  .one of the best runs yet 

Next weekend we are going to Bonfields atv rallly on sat  ,Wildbill had his set up of CF Moto shiney toys there 

20170429_083745.jpg

20170429_123732.jpg

20170429_164819.jpg

its great they put on those events but I find them to be wayyyyyyyyyyyyy to long with so many bikes...a lot of waiting, etc,

its not a train affair ,everyone goes in there own groups .5 or 10 in each group ,works out great really 

if you go on the weekly group rides they are boring as it is the waiting thing like you said , went on one of those once ,not again 

kearney group has their act together for sure , you get a trail map and go at your own pace and time and simply sign out at the end of the day so they know you made it back 

18 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

its not a train affair ,everyone goes in there own groups .5 or 10 in each group ,works out great really 

if you go on the weekly group rides they are boring as it is the waiting thing like you said , went on one of those once ,not again 

kearney group has their act together for sure , you get a trail map and go at your own pace and time and simply sign out at the end of the day so they know you made it back 

Hey I hear haa...think it depends on what trails you are riding...I have been on a few poker runs around Bancroft and although we too left in small groups we did get held up in many areas where mud holes oe areas were and guys were stuck...best thing I do like about those runs is its a quick way to learn about new trails if you have not been to that area before..

5 hours ago, Diceman said:

Hey I hear haa...think it depends on what trails you are riding...I have been on a few poker runs around Bancroft and although we too left in small groups we did get held up in many areas where mud holes oe areas were and guys were stuck...best thing I do like about those runs is its a quick way to learn about new trails if you have not been to that area before..

Yeah there are some steep hills you need momentum to get up. Would hate to have someone coming other way. I prefer atv trails mid week, when I have them all to myself. :-)

5 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Yeah there are some steep hills you need momentum to get up. Would hate to have someone coming other way. I prefer atv trails mid week, when I have them all to myself. :-)

X2

We went on the run for the first time, usually too busy running our chip truck in Kearney but talked the daughter into running it so we could join in.  Absolutely best day ever.  Edgewater and the ATV club sure ran a first class event.  When we heard 460 participants we were leary of the crowds and problems.  At over 100 km, the crowds were NOT a problem.  Dozens of people stay at Edgewater or other resorts in the area.  Edgewater had massive circus like tents up, lots of picnic tables inside, heated of course, they do things first class.  They had vendor tables, a young lady walking around with breakfasts for sale, silent auction tables, raffle draws, 50 50 draws etc.  The run takes maybe 4 hours if you do it full speed, and you are given til 5 at night for the returning buffet dinner, but after the opening announcements maybe 50 people headed out, very leisurely we found.   We took our time, took til 4 to check back in and there was a lot of time that we were the only ones on the trail it seemed.  People travelled together if they booked it together, families etc.  There were tons of places to pull over and have a water or smoke or bathroom break and we often passed a dozen or so ATV groups taking a break.  We only had one bad bottleneck where we all had a good laugh with the mud and winching.  It wasnt just about the run, it was about the all day fun aspect.  Edgwater had so much going on at their property that people just took their time heading out on the trails, it wasnt like a train where everyone followed the guy in front.  I am pretty sure that some people left an hour after we did.  At the luncheon check in site, which was a very delicious bbq, they had pick up trucks with trailers to haul out any atv that couldnt make the next 60 km.  A few had to use this option.    We had a fun ride, and after we got back even 4 hours later guys were still checking in.  They were breaking in 2 new trails and those were a bit challenging but not impossible.  At check in time they had a delicious buffet and a live band and door prizes and other giveaways.  They also had an ATV wash and portable bathrooms there and on the trail.   We were blown away with how well run and professional the ride was and HOW UNCROWDED  it was.  We were often a half hour without seeing other ATV.  100 plus km you can spread out pretty easily.  It is not a run with rules that say you leave at 9 and come back at 5 you can decide when and how you leave and with who you ride with and if you want to leave 20 minutes after a group in front of you there is no one watching you or telling you what to do.  I would definitely do this run again.  And my poker hand sucked ......

Great report, KC!

Glad to hear the details.

I must admit I avoided the event, as I assumed it would feel too crowded.

Maybe next year...

9 minutes ago, Blake G said:

Great report, KC!

Glad to hear the details.

I must admit I avoided the event, as I assumed it would feel too crowded.

Maybe next year...

There is a fall run too, that is popular. 

Good point!

The fall colours tour is popular only around 250 bikes and a little drier,it leaves from the Kearny legion with a great supper there at the end of the day 

8 hours ago, Muskoka Man said:

The fall colours tour is popular only around 250 bikes and a little drier,it leaves from the Kearny legion with a great supper there at the end of the day 

Are you volunteering to be an OC atv leader for the day :). Sounds like a fun fall day. 

On 4/30/2017 at 6:11 AM, Muskoka Man said:

460 showed up for this one .+12 and sunny .left from edgewater for a 105 k run  .one of the best runs yet 

Next weekend we are going to Bonfields atv rallly on sat  ,Wildbill had his set up of CF Moto shiney toys there 

20170429_083745.jpg

20170429_123732.jpg

20170429_164819.jpg

Yes it was a good run. I found it to be a bit brutal of a trail for some of the riders. I left near the end of the pact with the prostate extreme team boys that do a great job! but about 10km into the ride their one atv broke down but the other guy hopped into their sxs to continue on. At about 25kms in my buddy had a steering linkage break so I had to tow him back to the nearest road and I decided to end my ride at 30kms with him and limped him back to the trailer. I did find this years dinner wasn't the greatest. Although great job as always by the AWATV club. 

I am looking forward to our Do it for dads atv rally on june 17th which has been getting bigger every year we have it. Again we have our local MPP Norm miller coming and hopefully will have yet to be confirmed MP Tony Clement and with some luck maybe Rick Mercer! If you want to join in on the fun and prizes log onto parktoparktrail.org and register for this event as proceeds help support the prostate extreme team and P2P. 

It seems Rick Mercer manages to energize any event he attends. It makes for great PR and typically an enormous turnout for the following occurrence.

1 hour ago, SuperG said:

Yes it was a good run. I found it to be a bit brutal of a trail for some of the riders. I left near the end of the pact with the prostate extreme team boys that do a great job! but about 10km into the ride their one atv broke down but the other guy hopped into their sxs to continue on. At about 25kms in my buddy had a steering linkage break so I had to tow him back to the nearest road and I decided to end my ride at 30kms with him and limped him back to the trailer. I did find this years dinner wasn't the greatest. Although great job as always by the AWATV club. 

I am looking forward to our Do it for dads atv rally on june 17th which has been getting bigger every year we have it. Again we have our local MPP Norm miller coming and hopefully will have yet to be confirmed MP Tony Clement and with some luck maybe Rick Mercer! If you want to join in on the fun and prizes log onto parktoparktrail.org and register for this event as proceeds help support the prostate extreme team and P2P. 

My son and I try to get out to the P2P event.  We can ride right from our place and he recently got his G2, so it will be more fun. Great event. 

6 hours ago, Bigdaddy63250 said:

Where is the p2p event?

It stages from the Quality Inn (Jolly Rogers).

15 hours ago, Bigdaddy63250 said:

Where is the p2p event?

Yes you have till 9am sat june 17th at the now called Super 8 hotel(Jolly Roger) off 400 hwy exit 217 just south of parry sound to check in then the ride starts at 9am from there heading to sprucedale for a great BBQ lunch, on the way there we will take another trail section that will give all riders a variety of more technical, muddy trail section to enjoy then hop back out to the seguin trail to continue to sprucedale. An if you dont want to take that trail you dont have to. You then come back to check in at the super 8 for 5pm and then dinner at the Seguin Valley Golf Course for an awesome bacon wrapped pork tenderloin dinner with a poker/ prizes to continue the fun.  

22 hours ago, SuperG said:

Yes you have till 9am sat june 17th at the now called Super 8 hotel(Jolly Roger) off 400 hwy exit 217 just south of parry sound to check in then the ride starts at 9am from there heading to sprucedale for a great BBQ lunch, on the way there we will take another trail section that will give all riders a variety of more technical, muddy trail section to enjoy then hop back out to the seguin trail to continue to sprucedale. An if you dont want to take that trail you dont have to. You then come back to check in at the super 8 for 5pm and then dinner at the Seguin Valley Golf Course for an awesome bacon wrapped pork tenderloin dinner with a poker/ prizes to continue the fun.  

is there not an early discount for registration

On 5/8/2017 at 7:12 AM, Wildbill said:

is there not an early discount for registration

Register Today for the P2P and The Prostate Extreme Team ATV RIDE OF HOPE

On 5/9/2017 at 9:17 AM, ArcticCrusher said:

Register Today for the P2P and The Prostate Extreme Team ATV RIDE OF HOPE

exactly my point thank you 

Please register early and save it helps the organizers with food planning tremendously

On May 13, 2017 at 8:57 AM, Wildbill said:

exactly my point thank you 

Please register early and save it helps the organizers with food planning tremendously

Ok thanks Bill. Where can we park for the day in the area as well to attend the event. 

13 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Ok thanks Bill. Where can we park for the day in the area as well to attend the event. 

at the cargill drive parking or at the tim hortons 

Archived