High Mileage Ski doo 4 strokes

signfan

Looking at replacing my sleds.  What has everyone's experience been with higher mileage 1200 4-Tec's and 900 Ace's?  Is there any major concerns buying them with 15,000 to 20,000 km on them.  On the 1200's I know they need a PB-80 primary and all sleds by this mileage will need a full bearing replacement / track change for the suspension and driveline.  But other than this is there much else to worry about?  Any other common failures people are seeing on sleds with this kind of mileage on them?  Electrical, suspension part wear, etc???

Bearings, track, oil tank o-rings weeping, are the only common things that come to mind. Regular maintenance takes care of the rest. 

Thanks.   That's what I was thinking.  Everyone shy's away from these high milers, but you can save some big dough if you don't mind looking at the higher reading on the odometer.

4 minutes ago, signfan said:

Thanks.   That's what I was thinking.  Everyone shy's away from these high milers, but you can save some big dough if you don't mind looking at the higher reading on the odometer.

the reason they shy away is they are still thinking 2 stroke.  I have almost 30 K on my 04 RX-1 and have not touched the engine, other than oil and filter changes.

The suspension on the other hand has been rebuilt 3 times!!

The 4 stroke engine would be fine with high mileage. I would be more worried about the chassis starting to weaken as the rivets get loose. And other parts that will start to gain clearances as the miles build up

4 hours ago, Bigfish said:

the reason they shy away is they are still thinking 2 stroke.  I have almost 30 K on my 04 RX-1 and have not touched the engine, other than oil and filter changes.

The suspension on the other hand has been rebuilt 3 times!!

I agree no one is use to high mileage sleds period. Even my dealer said 10,000 km plus four strokes are hard to sell, unless it is something more rare, like a grand-touring (waiting list for those). If it hasn't been beat on too hard, should last for 50,000kms or so maybe more. I would be picky where the sled came from and where it was ridden though. If it looks like it has been beat on and not maintained properly, I would keep looking. Good luck. One thing to watch out for us bad guage clusters on older skidoo's. 2010 and down I believe maybe 11's too. They have a tendency to fail and are fairly big dollars to replace. So I would make sure there is no glitch at all with the cluster before buying. Good luck.

I've got almost 25000 kms on my 1200 and it has been great. Put the pb-80 on it and it has been flawless. All i have done is suspension bushings,track change and bearings through out. The valve cover was weaping a little and i just put some spacers under the bolts and chinched them down. This gave the gasket a little extra squeeze and stopped the weaping.Change the engine oil and filter every year and also do the chaincase. I will be running mine another year if i don't pick up a left in stock 1200 TnT this fall. I realize that i will have to probably sell it privately as most dealers won't even look at it with that mileage.Just my .02 cents.....     

Archived