WTB single all aluminum Hybrid trailer

johnsazzr

I am looking for a single all aluminum hybrid/crossover  in excellent to mint condition...similar to this one:

fa52601c0a0d02b700cc17f1d9a6f9cd.jpg

Can I ask a silly question. Why just a single? The price of a single is almost as much as a double if I recall correctly. The double gives the flexibility to add that second sled for a family member (daughter) if not mistaken or pop a friends sled in rather than two rigs going down the road to the same destination 

I got a single enclosed last April. Tows easily with an SUV. For two sleds I use the single trailer plus pickup truck bed. I do agree that a valid case can be made for buying a double trailer, assuming the tow vehicle is hefty. This past winter I picked up a used double in-line trailer (5 feet wide), and it tows almost as easily as the single enclosed - - but it requires a larger parking and turnaround space at the unloading site.

1 hour ago, whits-end said:

A lot harder to tow 'cuz of the width.

x2 on that one. 102" width enclosed pulls like a parchute most days. If you have a wide tow vehicle like a pickup, then it doesn't hurt the full economy as much. My mom has a mazda tribute, for fun I hooked up the trailer and took it for a tow. Used 22 L of fuel per 100km's, that day. Pull it with the pickup v8 305L,  I average around 18-20L per 100 most days.

I talked the trailer dealer and they told me going narrower plus longer, the trailer is more acceptable to cross winds, so doesn't really tow any better, just easier to see around they claim.

I think wind resistance is the biggest factor. A few years ago I had 20 and 30 foot trailers, towed by straight trucks and cube vans. With an E350 cube van (7.3 diesel), an 8.5 by 30 foot trailer could be towed very easily. You hardly knew it was hooked on. With a narrower E350 Club Wagon (7.3 diesel), the same trailer would feel much different, mainly because the narrower tow vehicle resulted in more wind resistance on the front of the trailer.

1936389_1164455111322_4466128_n.jpg

1937372_1157046966123_2696074_n.jpg

1937372_1157047366133_6454635_n.jpg

Wind resistance does make a difference for sure. I can't comment on pulling with a smaller narrower vehicle as I never have. I tow all the toys with an F150 4 door, 4 wheel drive, with a 6.5' box and a fiberglass cap the same height as the cab. I just towed the sled trailer from Port Severn to Toronto. Just before I headed for Toronto I filled up. I was burning about 4.1 L/100 km on the return trip  with the trailer than I did getting there without. Based on that I figure it cost me an extra 7 litres or an extra $8 with the trailer. I can't go to McDonalds for $8 any more. How much will I actually save on fuel by having the narrower single trailer? Towing a single definitely won't be the same as without a trailer so I would guess I could cut the increased fuel consumption in half compared to the double trailer. If that is the case instead of costing me an extra $8 for the trip from Port Severn to Toronto it would only cost me an extra $4.  My net savings for the trip would be a whopping $4 for a single trailer versus a double trailer. If you're planning on a lot of miles I guess it will add up.

Compared to the amount / cost of the gas we burn in the sleds and even worse the boats the extra cost for gas on the double trailer versus the single won't show as a concern on my radar.

Well  1) not planning on buying my 13 yr old daughter a sled...after a winter of riding mostly on weekdays and several times with her on weekends it is just far too risky for her to be riding her own sled on the trails in our area...in particular the rail trail...as I have commented on other forums...my first winter riding has caused me to be jaded about the sport in Ontario...I had good intentions of getting involved and volunteering etc etc....I will stick with paying for my pass and  riding weekdays when the moronic dimwits are not trying to kill us and each other...I did not have one single ride all winter where I did not come across one or more of said idiots....OK for me to take the risk...not going to do it with my daughter...planning to buy a 2 up ATV to enjoy the trail system in summer and see how that goes.   2)  I do not have a truck or large tow vehicle...towed last winter with wife's 4cyl Subaru Forester...it sucked...Planning to get a mid size SUV or something with V6...do not want a full size pick up....I have a small fishing rig as well which only weighs 1100-1200 lbs. 3) Our double garage and double driveway space has gone from 2 vehicles to now include the sled/trailer, boat and soon an ATV in only 9mths...I have plenty of side yard to park it all but my wife is not sure she is loving the new "recreational lifestyle" yard look..

6 minutes ago, johnsazzr said:

Well  1) not planning on buying my 13 yr old daughter a sled...after a winter of riding mostly on weekdays and several times with her on weekends it is just far too risky for her to be riding her own sled on the trails in our area...in particular the rail trail...as I have commented on other forums...my first winter riding has caused me to be jaded about the sport in Ontario...I had good intentions of getting involved and volunteering etc etc....I will stick with paying for my pass and  riding weekdays when the moronic dimwits are not trying to kill us and each other...I did not have one single ride all winter where I did not come across one or more of said idiots....OK for me to take the risk...not going to do it with my daughter...planning to buy a 2 up ATV to enjoy the trail system in summer and see how that goes.   2)  I do not have a truck or large tow vehicle...towed last winter with wife's 4cyl Subaru Forester...it sucked...Planning to get a mid size SUV or something with V6...do not want a full size pick up....I have a small fishing rig as well which only weighs 1100-1200 lbs. 3) Our double garage and double driveway space has gone from 2 vehicles to now include the sled/trailer, boat and soon an ATV in only 9mths...I have plenty of side yard to park it all but my wife is not sure she is loving the new "recreational lifestyle" yard look..

Your area defiantly had a huge amount of sleders coming in from area's to the south, that had no snow. On a Friday afternoon, I had to wait 20 Mins or so for sleds to refuel in hailburton before I could even get near a pump. In a normal winter traffic is more spread out no doubt. 

Yes. Lots of railbed riding this year compared to a normal year. Early snow allowed rail beds to open while other central Ontario trails had difficulty. I rode the Victoria rail line about 12 times last winter. Normally 2 or 3 times.

On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 11:03 PM, Blake G said:

Yes. Lots of railbed riding this year compared to a normal year. Early snow allowed rail beds to open while other central Ontario trails had difficulty. I rode the Victoria rail line about 12 times last winter. Normally 2 or 3 times.

Now I know why you got so many miles this winter :-).

X2 I use to get 4000kms a winter without using a trailer. Could rack on 300 in an afternoon, sometimes more in farm field country in southern Ontario. Hopefully snow returns to the south next winter and stays :-).

Archived