Should of Brought The Sled Instead of The Atv....

Diceman

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

We have ATV trails in our area but where you can go appears to be limited in comparison to where you can travel on a sled with trails interconnected from club to club. I have been considering an ATV but having limited areas to ride leaves me still hesitant. I find myself venturing out with the sleds on a trailer more often than in the past as after a period of time you look for something new.

What and how do people typically find trails available for ATV's? The map below can't be all there is? If I was trying to ride the same few km's of trail over and over I think I would tire of it very quickly. I also get the sense that the ATV's typically travel much slower than the sleds so what would be a good days ride, both time and distance.

The OFATV map doesn't show much in the way of trails in the province.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.91deef150e01f9d491fe248baa756046.JPG

We seem to be relatively fortunate around Port Severn with what appears to be more significant trails than most areas but knowing the area from a sledding perspective this may get old fairly quickly.

Capture1.JPG.8b8ef9f7993bb3e17d9e87aa54c3593e.JPG

I am really on the fence about an ATV purchase. Some here have convinced me not to worry about the bugs in spring and summer so that is behind me. Mind you if I do get eaten alive I will come looking for those that told me not to worry about it. :D

As long as you keep moving bugs won't bother you. Get stuck in a big water hole and need to winch out and sweat abit, you could be eaten alive. I bring off with me, just in case. Spring and fall is best time to ride no too, summer is good too, if you go during the heat of the day.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

We have ATV trails in our area but where you can go appears to be limited in comparison to where you can travel on a sled with trails interconnected from club to club. I have been considering an ATV but having limited areas to ride leaves me still hesitant. I find myself venturing out with the sleds on a trailer more often than in the past as after a period of time you look for something new.

What and how do people typically find trails available for ATV's? The map below can't be all there is? If I was trying to ride the same few km's of trail over and over I think I would tire of it very quickly. I also get the sense that the ATV's typically travel much slower than the sleds so what would be a good days ride, both time and distance.

The OFATV map doesn't show much in the way of trails in the province.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.91deef150e01f9d491fe248baa756046.JPG

We seem to be relatively fortunate around Port Severn with what appears to be more significant trails than most areas but knowing the area from a sledding perspective this may get old fairly quickly.

Capture1.JPG.8b8ef9f7993bb3e17d9e87aa54c3593e.JPG

I am really on the fence about an ATV purchase. Some here have convinced me not to worry about the bugs in spring and summer so that is behind me. Mind you if I do get eaten alive I will come looking for those that told me not to worry about it. :D

Try EOTA AND THE RCATV

23 minutes ago, Muskoka Man said:

Going To the Spring Rally  this weekend Blake ? 

Too exciting for me, I think. Sounds like quite the event though.  LOL

Will there be a couple of big mud holes, after 400 machines rumble around for the day? Sorry to be a wimp but I seem to prefer to avoid the water and mud challenges, if possible. How long do think it will be until the trails are ok for a guy like me?

2017Spring_rally_Posterjpg770.jpg

1 hour ago, Diceman said:

Try EOTA AND THE RCATV

So it sounds like there isn't one permit that gives you access province or at least Muskoka wide.

From what I take from Blake's post the EOTA seems to be a separate entity on its own. The trails they 'look after' (debate for another day) are pretty much all east of Hwy 62 (Belleville to Maynooth).

That post reads like something from the OTBA/OFSC days of long ago.

As I evolve toward the summer sports, putting my brothers 1978 Honda CBX 1000 on the road (real soon, almost ready) and perhaps investing in an ATV, what do people do for a helmet. Do you have a helmet for your ATV and another for your sled or do you use one helmet for double duty.

Back in the late 70's early 80's when I had a bike I used a helmet that I believe had a lot less insulation to it than the snowmobile helmet I have now. Insulation to me means heat.

In the 70's I had something that looked like

Capture2.JPG.743ac4a60b7e38fc6fcffa44d138d28a.JPG

For the sled I use

Capture1.JPG.8350d31d5ace78102ca32053855f1a2e.JPG

I was thinking of something like one of these two (only for about 30 seconds then gave my head a shake)

Capture1.JPG.5cffe69ebc5421ef338b5751aff6484e.JPGCapture1.JPG.9f8bdb433d7e8dddc3cadba00dc7a610.JPG

Seriously though.... what do those who ride sleds AND ATV's do for helmets?

From what I've noticed when meeting ATV riders in the area, the grown ups usually are wearing a 50 buck open face helmet from Crappy Tire. The kids (even those riding as passengers) usually have a MX style helmet. Since I bought my 1st ATV back in the early 80s, I've always worn a MX style helmet, w/ goggles. The only time I'm not wearing the goggles is if I have the full w/s on the the Ranger.

18 hours ago, 02Sled said:

So it sounds like there isn't one permit that gives you access province or at least Muskoka wide.

quick facts...any EOTA, RCATC , OFATV trails all use each others pass....Haliburton club and Kawaratha club have diffrent passes....biggest complaint in atv community, wheres the one pass system....

I have been told the reason that ATV organizations can't get funding from government is that government only will deal with one entity. Until they get together they are just spinning their wheels.

On 4/23/2017 at 6:22 PM, Blake G said:

Too exciting for me, I think. Sounds like quite the event though.  LOL

Will there be a couple of big mud holes, after 400 machines rumble around for the day? Sorry to be a wimp but I seem to prefer to avoid the water and mud challenges, if possible. How long do think it will be until the trails are ok for a guy like me?

Your

They will dry out fast now ,lots of logging rds to ride ,all the trails out 118 near black lake are colour coded showing degeee of dificulty,,choose what works for you 

another poker run in bonfeild May 6 , not so much mud there and we stay at the diner bell 

2017Spring_rally_Posterjpg770.jpg

Hey 02 one of the biggest downfalls of atving is the dust. For me I refuse to ride if the dust is bad.  Now we limit our rides to early spring, fall and if it rains we will go the next day if we can. 

I have used the white dust mask but found that brp has a really good neoprene mask with filters in it. 

43 minutes ago, gsx6 said:

Hey 02 one of the biggest downfalls of atving is the dust. For me I refuse to ride if the dust is bad.  Now we limit our rides to early spring, fall and if it rains we will go the next day if we can. 

I have used the white dust mask but found that brp has a really good neoprene mask with filters in it. 

So what you are saying tells me... Be the lead ATV of the group  :D

Yes you are correct. 

I also use my atv for plowing snow which I enjoy doing but don't tell my wife that as I make it out to be a major chore that takes awhile to do. 

5 hours ago, gsx6 said:

LOL, I've seen 4 or 5 ATVs riding in a group on the railbed just north of Lake St Peter. There was so much dust it looked like an episode of Rat Patrol.

A backglass & half w/s on the Ranger really cuts down on the dust.

rail beds are the worse but most other trails are fine even in the summer...seems to be two groups of atvers in my opinion...one group could care less if they go 15 k in a day as long as there in the muk and mud....others seems to want to put on some miles in a day..I would now put myself in the second category at this point....we have several routes mapped out that easily are 200 plus k's a ride....all are on legal trails....from Bancroft area we have gone as far down towards Renfrew and Calabogie, up through Lake St Peter and Whitney, Barrys Bay and Pembroke, south to Madoc, Havelock, east over to Cloyne and Tweed to name a few places...could easily get into Haliburton but then you need another pass and thats the problem....

Anything around the Burg Diceman? Apparently there are some legal trails south of Bright and over near Innerkip, that is all that I'm aware of? Been thinking of picking up an ATV but hesitant with lack of trails around here. I too would prefer putting on miles rather than spending my day in the mud.

1 hour ago, OntSledder said:

Anything around the Burg Diceman? Apparently there are some legal trails south of Bright and over near Innerkip, that is all that I'm aware of? Been thinking of picking up an ATV but hesitant with lack of trails around here. I too would prefer putting on miles rather than spending my day in the mud.

Toward Eugenia and Markdale has some decent trails. If you get an atv, maybe we can load up and go up there for an afternoon. Can also legally ride back roads in perth and huron counties. Wilmot still has a full atv ban on, even on country roads as well.

On 4/24/2017 at 11:26 AM, Bigdaddy63250 said:

I use 2 seperated helmets.  When riding atv you will get lots of dust dirt mud etc inside helmet.  

X2...modular with heated shield for sledding, and full-face MX-style with goggles for ATVing...and a bandana over the mouth and nose if it's a really dusty route.  Goggles really help keep out all the dust on a dry trail, which can otherwise really irritate the eyes.  

And I'm another one who prefers putting on some trail miles and enjoying the scenery...zero interest in spending the day repeatedly getting stuck in (and winching out of) the mud. 

3 hours ago, Diceman said:

rail beds are the worse but most other trails are fine even in the summer...seems to be two groups of atvers in my opinion...one group could care less if they go 15 k in a day as long as there in the muk and mud....others seems to want to put on some miles in a day..I would now put myself in the second category at this point....we have several routes mapped out that easily are 200 plus k's a ride....all are on legal trails....from Bancroft area we have gone as far down towards Renfrew and Calabogie, up through Lake St Peter and Whitney, Barrys Bay and Pembroke, south to Madoc, Havelock, east over to Cloyne and Tweed to name a few places...could easily get into Haliburton but then you need another pass and thats the problem....

I am also one that likes to put miles on when we go atving. Mostly run old logging and access roads so we can cruise along about 40-50 mph for the most part. Usually ride for about 80-100 miles for the day and usually make a loop out of it. 

I have a bit of a sore spot when it comes to atv trail passes. If there was a Ontario wide trail pass I would most likely buy one, but I refuse to buy multiple trail passes. The atv organization as a whole is missing the boat big time and holds the sport back imao. 

From what I gather it seems the heads of the organizations that are in place now have turned there positions into paying jobs and refuse to give them up in order to come together as one organization like the ofsc. 

Plus I don't see where the money from trail passes is going except for administration. The area I mostly frequent there is no evidence of atv trails as far as signage, grading, bridge building or repairs etc. Where the ofsc spends money on grooming, signage trail clearing and bridges. So in my mind I contribute enough with buying ofsc trail passes forever and volunteering. 

1 hour ago, irREVerent said:

And I'm another one who prefers putting on some trail miles and enjoying the scenery...zero interest in spending the day repeatedly getting stuck in (and winching out of) the mud. 

X3

1 hour ago, gsx6 said:

I am also one that likes to put miles on when we go atving. Mostly run old logging and access roads so we can cruise along about 40-50 mph for the most part. Usually ride for about 80-100 miles for the day and usually make a loop out of it. 

I have a bit of a sore spot when it comes to atv trail passes. If there was a Ontario wide trail pass I would most likely buy one, but I refuse to buy multiple trail passes. The atv organization as a whole is missing the boat big time and holds the sport back imao. 

From what I gather it seems the heads of the organizations that are in place now have turned there positions into paying jobs and refuse to give them up in order to come together as one organization like the ofsc. 

Plus I don't see where the money from trail passes is going except for administration. The area I mostly frequent there is no evidence of atv trails as far as signage, grading, bridge building or repairs etc. Where the ofsc spends money on grooming, signage trail clearing and bridges. So in my mind I contribute enough with buying ofsc trail passes forever and volunteering. 

Other than their 'fast tracking' the bridge replacement on the Hastings Heritage Trail just north of Bancroft a year ago, I haven't seen any other work on the HHT by the EOTA. I've been on the railbed from Glen Ross to Wallace (north of LSP) for years during the summer months, even before I bought my Ranger. Each year the decking on the bridges gets more decrepit. I'm w/ gsx6, if I could read about the EOTA helping the associated snowmobile clubs w/ projects (which I haven't) I might consider supporting an organization that helps w/ the trails.

19 hours ago, OntSledder said:

Great Lakes Atv Club has trails around Bright and then another trail system in Cathcart...that club is a member of OFATV...both are small trail systems maybe 13 to 14 k long.very twisty..also have blue arrow trails where its muddy, wet, rutted etc...Huron Shoes Atv Club is the rail bed that runs from close to Clifford, through Walkerton and ends just pass Port Elgin..  also have trails through to Whitechurch.......combo of road and bush..can spend a whole day riding....also on their map it shows legal ways to drive and connect to Dufferinn Grey Club...Dufferinn has rail bed that runs through Markdale and a combo of road and bush...one end has more road but easily can be on your bike for acouple hundred k in a day...Sauble beach Atv has a good legal trail system..easily spend a full day..all the above clubs are covered by an OFATV or EOTA pass......there are a few smaller private clubs but you need to be a member and buy their pass....its not like riding up north but theses clubs are closer and do lots of work to keep them open...some guys bitch that there is some road running , etc but you have to expect that in Southern Ontario...I look at it as in at least your on your bike riding...

as for trail passes, check any atv forum and its full of posts on that topic...and EOTA or OFATV pass covers many many clubs and areas...Its the Haliburton and Kawarathas trails systems that have their own pass...thats where the 5 points trail system is and theses 2 clubs have tonsssssssssssssssssss of trails but OFATV or EOTA are not accepted...huge debate also that many of theses trails in this system are on crown land and no pass is needed but that debate for for another time..lol...if you want to have some fun try The Goat and Hillbilly trail by Gooderham...you will need to wear Depends....

Not trying to chuck a stick into the spokes here, as I'm not an ATV guy, but have you seen how Quebec does this?

I'm buying a pass this year to ride their trails with my (suitably modified/equipped) dirt bike. Some of them use the sled trails, some of the ATV trails parallel the sled trails for winter use.

I've seen their trail groomers. Should have snagged a pic....

5 hours ago, manotickmike said:

Not trying to chuck a stick into the spokes here, as I'm not an ATV guy, but have you seen how Quebec does this?

I'm buying a pass this year to ride their trails with my (suitably modified/equipped) dirt bike. Some of them use the sled trails, some of the ATV trails parallel the sled trails for winter use.

I've seen their trail groomers. Should have snagged a pic....

Quebec must have more crown land. Farmers don't like atv's, since they tend to plant lands during atv season. Hard to start and stop a trail to accomdate planting, because people won't respect it, when crops are in the ground.

Archived