Should of Brought The Sled Instead of The Atv....

Diceman

Went on a ride up through Barrys Bay towards Whitney this past Easter weekend.......they had had 15 plus centimeters of wet snow a week earlier.....many areas for long stretches still had tons of the base left....we moved tons and cut tons of trees...we only road until we hit the river and rapids going towards Whitney...on our way back the road closed sign was just put up..it was on about the last couple miles of the rail bed before it ends and goes left up into the bush.....told later that the same area close to Whitney that washed out bad a few years ago washed out again....wished we would of kept going to see it...

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like me on our ride to LSP last April no snow in Apsley, but from Birds Creek north, the railved had patchy deep snow. Almost got the Ranger stuck just north of Maynooth.

21 hours ago, Diceman said:

Went on a ride up through Barrys Bay towards Whitney this past Easter weekend.......they had had 15 plus centimeters of wet snow a week earlier.....many areas for long stretches still had tons of the base left....we moved tons and cut tons of trees...we only road until we hit the river and rapids going towards Whitney...on our way back the road closed sign was just put up..it was on about the last couple miles of the rail bed before it ends and goes left up into the bush.....told later that the same area close to Whitney that washed out bad a few years ago washed out again....wished we would of kept going to see it...

IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1094.JPG

IMG_1077.JPG

IMG_1079.JPG

IMG_1088.JPG

wtf trail's are closed till may 1st,are you the same group that ride the trail,s in the winter when they are showing red on the itg.Trails get closed when you jump the gun stay the f off them till they are open.

Watch the language folks, this isn't FS.

yes I drive my atv from Kitchener through Toronto to drive on sled trails in the winter without passes or helmets and I am also drunk as well as everyone in our group...biggest issue with these forums, guys start bashing, etc without knowing any facts........could it be possibly  the person we emailed to ask about the rail line being open possibly gave wrong info?.could it be that when we ordered our passes and asked if they would be sent out in time for an Eater  Weekend ride and was told yes, that one would assume at that point that if they were closed they would of told us that?....what club or trail system are you talking about that is closed until May 1 st?..

I never like to see people abusing trails.  ATVers are notorious for trespassing.  Bicycle helmets must be mandated because parents are all stupid, Natives are all drunks. Black youths are all criminals.  Muslims are all extremists.  Woman just can't stop talking.  If you stand up on a sled, you are an asshole kid.  Arctic Cat sleds are only owned by aggressive riders.....  Yamaha sleds weigh more than most cars.

These are all statements of mis-perception and not fact.  

Most couldn't care less if an ATV is on a trail going for a nice ride ON the trail and not IN the trail.  So who cares??  Really, who gives a.... if they are not trespassing, pissing off a landowner and creating a problem for others?

I like to hear from our OC Members about their ATV adventures, Boating, Motorcycling, Camping, hiking, Prison sentences and even their  sheep herding atrocities.

This site is not regulated or censored by any association, club or federation.  Speak freely, but with respect and all will be good....

4224950-double-standard-relationships.jpg

MAC10_WINNIPEG_POST03.jpg

Racial-double-standards-for-criminals.jpg

Always wise to check regulations for the area you are riding in. I know hailburton doesn't usually open rail trail until June 1 ist. Then Kearny is having a huge poker run this weekend. Going to be like 400 plus bikes tearing the area up there. I guess at least the area gets some benefit financially if people stay at edgewater for a night, usually steak dinner at edgewater is included too with the ralley.

Some area's open early and others open around june 1st. Too bad there wasn't a central Ontario atv trails site, that clubs could report too. Be nice to have ITAG to keep it all straight, just like us sledders have.

One of the forest access roads north of the Paudash clubhouse has a Tread Lightly sign asking users not to travel on it until a certain date. This is a gravel road that I doubt would be damaged by light 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles.

E107 uses another forest access road in the Jack's Lake area. Again, it is a gravel based road. And has been bare for a couple of weeks now. I can't see how anyone expects to keep trail users off these routes until May 1.

I don't think Diceman's travel along the railbed ruined it for the sledders (just look @ his last pic, sand as far down the railbed as you can see). Also in some of these areas the locals used these routes long before the OFSC came along, so there is already that resentment in place.

Now if they were ripping back and forth thru a 'soft' area to make a mud pit, I'd have a problem with that. I got that out of my system back in the 80s when I had my 1st ATV. In later years I never had any interest in getting a quad, because all I ever heard about was guys riding to some place and spending most of the time in the mud. My Ranger is used 75% for woodlot work & 25% for play.

If I'm not mistaken HATVA trails don't open until May 1st. Rail trail being the exception at a June 1st opening.

8 hours ago, revrnd said:

One of the forest access roads north of the Paudash clubhouse has a Tread Lightly sign asking users not to travel on it until a certain date. This is a gravel road that I doubt would be damaged by light 2 or 4 wheeled vehicles.

E107 uses another forest access road in the Jack's Lake area. Again, it is a gravel based road. And has been bare for a couple of weeks now. I can't see how anyone expects to keep trail users off these routes until May 1.

I don't think Diceman's travel along the railbed ruined it for the sledders (just look @ his last pic, sand as far down the railbed as you can see). Also in some of these areas the locals used these routes long before the OFSC came along, so there is already that resentment in place.

Now if they were ripping back and forth thru a 'soft' area to make a mud pit, I'd have a problem with that. I got that out of my system back in the 80s when I had my 1st ATV. In later years I never had any interest in getting a quad, because all I ever heard about was guys riding to some place and spending most of the time in the mud. My Ranger is used 75% for woodlot work & 25% for play.

I agree with what youhave to say......we actually passed about 6 trucks on that rail bed that day....I believe the HATV railine is closed until June 1st but we were nowhere close to there., not even in that system......I am going to double check with the person( executive ) I contacted prior to our short ride to see if we were given proper info.....our group would never ride on closed trails , always have passes ....and I might not be the brightest bulb but if I was to ride on closed trails I sure as hell would not post pics and a story about it..lol...will also add in years passed I was told that some  local clubs in that area has invited atver's to go at it once sled trails were permantly closed for the season...Cheers

16 hours ago, jrhz06 said:

If I'm not mistaken HATVA trails don't open until May 1st. Rail trail being the exception at a June 1st opening.

Is there an official closing date as well?

On 4/19/2017 at 0:38 PM, Viperules700 said:

Always wise to check regulations for the area you are riding in. I know hailburton doesn't usually open rail trail until June 1 ist. Then Kearny is having a huge poker run this weekend. Going to be like 400 plus bikes tearing the area up there. I guess at least the area gets some benefit financially if people stay at edgewater for a night, usually steak dinner at edgewater is included too with the ralley.

Some area's open early and others open around june 1st. Too bad there wasn't a central Ontario atv trails site, that clubs could report too. Be nice to have ITAG to keep it all straight, just like us sledders have.

we have been on this run for 6 years now ,the edgwater does do well,and at 70 bucks ahead for 400 bikes the club does well too and that money goes back into the bike and sled trails 

they do alot of ditching, hauling in gravel to low areas ,culverts and so on , their fall rally of 300 bikes or so leaves from the kearney legion and lots of $$ goes back to the legion witch they need badly ,im a die hard biker and sledder and see no problem with quadding on the sled trails after may 1 as this is when the MNR says its good to go 

On 4/19/2017 at 8:43 AM, Domino said:

I never like to see people abusing trails.  ATVers are notorious for trespassing.  Bicycle helmets must be mandated because parents are all stupid, Natives are all drunks. Black youths are all criminals.  Muslims are all extremists.  Woman just can't stop talking.  If you stand up on a sled, you are an a-ho kid.  Arctic Cat sleds are only owned by aggressive riders.....  Yamaha sleds weigh more than most cars.

These are all statements of mis-perception and not fact.  

Most couldn't care less if an ATV is on a trail going for a nice ride ON the trail and not IN the trail.  So who cares??  Really, who gives a.... if they are not trespassing, pissing off a landowner and creating a problem for others?

I like to hear from our OC Members about their ATV adventures, Boating, Motorcycling, Camping, hiking, Prison sentences and even their  sheep herding atrocities.

This site is not regulated or censored by any association, club or federation.  Speak freely, but with respect and all will be good....

4224950-double-standard-relationships.jpg

MAC10_WINNIPEG_POST03.jpg

Racial-double-standards-for-criminals.jpg

So you are saying its ok to ride trails that are closed.

On 4/19/2017 at 1:16 PM, revrnd said:

a closed trail is a closed trail.They open may 1st.

5 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Is there an official closing date as well?

There isn't one that I know of but I just checked again and the club schedules no rides before May and the last ride is in November. Working with MNR they have agreed to not schedule anything until May to allow the trails to dry up a bit and reduce damage. Rail trail is closed to ATVs Dec 1- May 1.

FYI...just heard back from one of 2 emails I sent out...Was told by EOTA head office that all EOTA trails have been open including on the Easter Weekend.......

19 hours ago, Diceman said:

FYI...just heard back from one of 2 emails I sent out...Was told by EOTA head office that all EOTA trails have been open including on the Easter Weekend.......

Nice, you ever ride drumbo way. I leave real close to you, but mostly only use atv on my property.

It seems that while there is an OFATV as the quasi equivalent to the OFSC they are still not as "evolved" as the OFSC we know today in terms of aiming for consistency and trail passes. It appears that the individual clubs sell OFATV trail passes that are inclusive for all OFATV trails but varying clubs seem to have varying dates for the availability of their trails. At least that is how I interpret what I have been reading.

In our area we have some absolutely fabulous landowners who grant permission to the snowmobile club to use the trails in the winter AND the ATV's in the spring / summer / fall. At one of our joint events one landowner smiled and said it just makes it so much easier when I don't have to worry about opening and closing gates based upon the season.

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Nice, you ever ride drumbo way. I leave real close to you, but mostly only use atv on my property.

well I ride the Great Lake Atv Trails in Bright area and Cathcart where you need a pass....and although Dufftom maybe surprised, would only drive on legal trails that are open and with passes...I was actually Head Trail Warden for a number of years for Great Lakes...I would do anywhere from 2000 to 3000  k a year on my Grizzly...get apass and go riding....number of clubs with trail systems..Walkerton area, Sauble, Duffrein Grey to name a few...I do most riding Bancroft, Denbigh m Barrys Bay area....

19 hours ago, Diceman said:

well I ride the Great Lake Atv Trails in Bright area and Cathcart where you need a pass....and although Dufftom maybe surprised, would only drive on legal trails that are open and with passes...I was actually Head Trail Warden for a number of years for Great Lakes...I would do anywhere from 2000 to 3000  k a year on my Grizzly...get apass and go riding....number of clubs with trail systems..Walkerton area, Sauble, Duffrein Grey to name a few...I do most riding Bancroft, Denbigh m Barrys Bay area....

How many km's are available in bright area?

roughly 13 to 14 k with blue arrow trails that are muddy, wet, etc...Cathcart about the same...not anywhere like up north but it is a close legal place to go for a ride...

15 hours ago, Diceman said:

roughly 13 to 14 k with blue arrow trails that are muddy, wet, etc...Cathcart about the same...not anywhere like up north but it is a close legal place to go for a ride...

That is what I thought. May as well ride back roads in perth and huron county's.

We have ATV trails in our area but where you can go appears to be limited in comparison to where you can travel on a sled with trails interconnected from club to club. I have been considering an ATV but having limited areas to ride leaves me still hesitant. I find myself venturing out with the sleds on a trailer more often than in the past as after a period of time you look for something new.

What and how do people typically find trails available for ATV's? The map below can't be all there is? If I was trying to ride the same few km's of trail over and over I think I would tire of it very quickly. I also get the sense that the ATV's typically travel much slower than the sleds so what would be a good days ride, both time and distance.

The OFATV map doesn't show much in the way of trails in the province.

Capture1.thumb.JPG.91deef150e01f9d491fe248baa756046.JPG

We seem to be relatively fortunate around Port Severn with what appears to be more significant trails than most areas but knowing the area from a sledding perspective this may get old fairly quickly.

Capture1.JPG.8b8ef9f7993bb3e17d9e87aa54c3593e.JPG

I am really on the fence about an ATV purchase. Some here have convinced me not to worry about the bugs in spring and summer so that is behind me. Mind you if I do get eaten alive I will come looking for those that told me not to worry about it. :D

Once again I bought from the Algonquin West ATV Club.  http://www.algonquinwestatv.com/

Here's the AWATV home network, shown in red:

2013_AWATV_map_front_small.jpg

Roads are open to ATVs in the AWATV area, with the exception of Highway 11. Luckily, AWATV has an agreement with the Park to Park Trail, meaning that the AWATV pass includes the Seguin Trail from Parry Sound to the AWATV territory. It is my understanding that the roads in the area of the Seguin Trail also allow ATVs.

Furthermore, the AWATV club is an associate club of the Haliburton ATV Association (HATVA), with a large network of trails, plus friendly roads. This make available all the HATVA associated trails, as described below:

http://haliburtonatv.com/pages/index.php

Here's What All Terrain Vehicle Magazine Recently Wrote About HATVA
   "ATV owners interested in an exceptional place to ride should check out the Haliburton ATV Association website. This club is among the most active and well organized groups in Canada. Take for example the scope of the HATVA trail system: 1,700 km of marked, signed and mapped trails cover an area that includes the regions of Muskoka, Madawaska, Peterborough, Kawartha and Haliburton County. Newly sanctioned associate member, the Algonquin West ATV Club increases HATVA catchment to include Near North Tourist jurisdictions north all the way to Sundridge Ontario. What this all means is this: You can unload your ATV, affix a HATVA membership to it and ride from destination to destination enjoying great trails. And these trails actually go somewhere - to hotels, restaurants and dealers. There's only one integrated system in Canada bigger than the HATVA system and that's the FCQC in Quebec. To get this kind of trail system south of the border you need to venture to Hatfield McCoy Trails in West Virginia. Don't just take our word for it. We ride HATVA trails all season (it's where our Canadian offices are located). Come and find out for yourself what a real ATV touring excursion looks like."

ATV Riders Note: Only HATVA, ATVOntario Power Pass & KATVA memberships and passes work on HATVA trails. OFATV, EOTA, the so called TTNGold passes DO NOT WORK ON HATVA TRAILS OR KATVA TRAILS OR ON ANY ATVONTARIO TRAIL - BUYER BEWARE

As nearly as I can tell, the AWATV pass is equivalent to the HATVA pass, but also includes the Seguin Trail agreement. Excellent value for $110 per machine.

In Gravenhurst there is no ATV club, but at least the municipal roads have allowed ATV's for the past two or three years, with the exception of the downtown core.

If you do buy a machine, and plan on carrying a passenger, I would recommend the actual "touring" or "factory specified two-up" machine.

4 hours ago, Blake G said:

Once again I bought from the Algonquin West ATV Club.  http://www.algonquinwestatv.com/

Here's the AWATV home network, shown in red:

2013_AWATV_map_front_small.jpg

Roads are open to ATVs in the AWATV area, with the exception of Highway 11. Luckily, AWATV has an agreement with the Park to Park Trail, meaning that the AWATV pass includes the Seguin Trail from Parry Sound to the AWATV territory. It is my understanding that the roads in the area of the Seguin Trail also allow ATVs.

Furthermore, the AWATV club is an associate club of the Haliburton ATV Association (HATVA), with a large network of trails, plus friendly roads. This make available all the HATVA associated trails, as described below:

http://haliburtonatv.com/pages/index.php

Here's What All Terrain Vehicle Magazine Recently Wrote About HATVA
   "ATV owners interested in an exceptional place to ride should check out the Haliburton ATV Association website. This club is among the most active and well organized groups in Canada. Take for example the scope of the HATVA trail system: 1,700 km of marked, signed and mapped trails cover an area that includes the regions of Muskoka, Madawaska, Peterborough, Kawartha and Haliburton County. Newly sanctioned associate member, the Algonquin West ATV Club increases HATVA catchment to include Near North Tourist jurisdictions north all the way to Sundridge Ontario. What this all means is this: You can unload your ATV, affix a HATVA membership to it and ride from destination to destination enjoying great trails. And these trails actually go somewhere - to hotels, restaurants and dealers. There's only one integrated system in Canada bigger than the HATVA system and that's the FCQC in Quebec. To get this kind of trail system south of the border you need to venture to Hatfield McCoy Trails in West Virginia. Don't just take our word for it. We ride HATVA trails all season (it's where our Canadian offices are located). Come and find out for yourself what a real ATV touring excursion looks like."

ATV Riders Note: Only HATVA, ATVOntario Power Pass & KATVA memberships and passes work on HATVA trails. OFATV, EOTA, the so called TTNGold passes DO NOT WORK ON HATVA TRAILS OR KATVA TRAILS OR ON ANY ATVONTARIO TRAIL - BUYER BEWARE

As nearly as I can tell, the AWATV pass is equivalent to the HATVA pass, but also includes the Seguin Trail agreement. Excellent value for $110 per machine.

In Gravenhurst there is no ATV club, but at least the municipal roads have allowed ATV's for the past two or three years, with the exception of the downtown core.

If you do buy a machine, and plan on carrying a passenger, I would recommend the actual "touring" or "factory specified two-up" machine.

Going To the Fall Rally  this weekend Blake ? 

4 hours ago, Blake G said:

Archived