Who's Snowchecking?....

Turbo Doo

I snow checked another bat sled,guess i'll be taking wife along here & there.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, white dragon said:

Congratulations.

11 hours ago, white dragon said:

You get a jump seat for Lily? If you bring the wife / babysitter, you know the daughter is coming too .... :)

1 hour ago, ToSlow said:

i'm thinking of buying new, but still undecided on brand

Sounds familiar. When you get it narrowed down, you can let us help you decide on the various engine choices.

2 hours ago, ToSlow said:

i'm thinking of buying new, but still undecided on brand

:rotflmao: Sorry I shouldn't laugh... there is with a number of people a distinct brand loyalty with everyone believing the brand they ride is best. What you can hope for and realistically get is what in particular they like about their sleds.

Personally regardless of brand I would suggest 4 stoke. I have had both 2 and 4 and will never go back to the 2 stroke. Just one of the aspects is the long term durability of the 4 stroke. Then there is the lack of smell when compared to a 2. I never really noticed the smell when riding a 2 stroke but once on a 4 stroke sure noticed the difference when following a 2 stroke down the trail. Pros and cons to each brand and model while a lot of preferences are relative to your riding style as well.

iv'e never really been brand loyal to nothing, i just like the comfort of riding my style and reliability. and best bang for the buck.

You better check out the brand that your riding buddies ride.  Different clubs/groups form a clique and if you don't have the proper color sled, you are an outcast.  I don't frequent my old club anymore. I don't have a yellow sled so they look down their nose at me.  I don't miss them either.

BP

On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, white dragon said:

Congratulations Glenn.  Post a picture when you get it.

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, white dragon said:

Congrats!!!

On ‎29‎/‎04‎/‎2017 at 8:18 PM, white dragon said:

It won't be long until you need to get yet another sled for Lily

On April 30, 2017 at 1:22 PM, 02Sled said:

:rotflmao: Sorry I shouldn't laugh... there is with a number of people a distinct brand loyalty with everyone believing the brand they ride is best. What you can hope for and realistically get is what in particular they like about their sleds.

Personally regardless of brand I would suggest 4 stoke. I have had both 2 and 4 and will never go back to the 2 stroke. Just one of the aspects is the long term durability of the 4 stroke. Then there is the lack of smell when compared to a 2. I never really noticed the smell when riding a 2 stroke but once on a 4 stroke sure noticed the difference when following a 2 stroke down the trail. Pros and cons to each brand and model while a lot of preferences are relative to your riding style as well.

Sounds like your are brand loyal to four strokes. It depends how many miles you put on in an  winter. Most sleds the drive train like bearing's,  clutches will wear out far sooner then any engine ( 2 or 4 stroke for that matter) changing oil in a 4 stroke after 1,000 Kms is a bummer. Look at our friend rws something like 22,000 miles on his sled, original 2 stroke engine, but everything else is pretty much new. 

Not really a brand, 2 or 4 stroke. Multiple brands make them

5 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Sounds like your are brand loyal to four strokes. It depends how many miles you put on in an  winter. Most sleds the drive train like bearing's,  clutches will wear out far sooner then any engine ( 2 or 4 stroke for that matter) changing oil in a 4 stroke after 1,000 Kms is a bummer. Look at our friend rws something like 22,000 miles on his sled, original 2 stroke engine, but everything else is pretty much new. 

Why would you change oil at 1000 Km?  Is that Ski-doo's recommendation?  Yamaha recommends oil change every 4000 Km and filter at 10000 Km.  Not sure of other brands' recommendations, but I would be surprised if they are 1000 Km.

7 hours ago, sledjunk said:

Why would you change oil at 1000 Km?  Is that Ski-doo's recommendation?  Yamaha recommends oil change every 4000 Km and filter at 10000 Km.  Not sure of other brands' recommendations, but I would be surprised if they are 1000 Km.

First service is 1500 km's. Second service is 6,000 km's intervals. Skidoo has that once a year clause of mileage, our annually which ever comes first if you care about the limited warranty. 

On ‎03‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 0:04 AM, sledjunk said:

Actually SJ, in the "Break in" section of Yamaha's Owner's Manual for my 2012 Vector it states as follows "After 800 km. (500 miles) of operation, the engine oil must be changed and the oil filter cartridge replaced"

4 hours ago, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Actually SJ, in the "Break in" section of Yamaha's Owner's Manual for my 2012 Vector it states as follows "After 800 km. (500 miles) of operation, the engine oil must be changed and the oil filter cartridge replaced"

True, but the original comment was that it is a bummer to change oil after 1000 km, and I understood every 1000 Km. 

4000 oil, 10000 filter, or once a year, whichever comes first. so in theory if you only rode, 1000k a season, you would "need" to change it, by the manuals recommendation.

in theory, it is cheap insurance, let the motor sit with old oil, acids, and contaminants, over the storage period, possibly causing internal permanent damage...  or bite the bullet for less than 60 bux, and maintain your investment.

you can pay a little now, or a lot later.  

with the rpms and extreme temp swings these units see, I was told to think of sleds, in automotive terms (mostly body, suspension, frame, but, you get the point), 10,000k (or miles) on a sled is like 100,000 on an automobile. you have to be vigilant with the maintenance, or they will break down, and strand you at the worst possible moment. Ski

I've owned four 4 strokes and put 3000-70000km on per year and always do the first break in oil change and the oil once a year and filter every other. 

10 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

I've owned four 4 strokes and put 3000-70000km on per year and always do the first break in oil change and the oil once a year and filter every other. 

I am similar, except that I also do a change at the 4 - 5 K mark as well.

BTW, the 70000 Km season must have been a blast :lmao:

39 minutes ago, Yamatario said:

You did 70000 holy smokes!!  Nunz has someone to catch!!!  Lol

Because the 1st oil & filter change comes so quick when you ride in the north, it is hard to honor the 500 mile recommendation.

I found that it was the biggest hassle of riding a  "new" 4-stroke.  Most of our rides are over the 500 miles and then you must plan to take the machine home rather than park it and just drive without a trailer.  I know most are trailering anyway, but it did make for another issue for me.

Now that break-in is finished, I just change oil in my trailer in the middle of the season since the filter is changed already over the summer.  The past 2 seasons I have not had to do anything to the sleds except change the oil on the 4-stroke.  It seems that the 4-stroke is more maintenance than my 2-strokes. 

It is nice not filling the oil reservoir and not having to carry quarts of oil.  Also, when in the lead on a 4-stroke, I can usually smell the sleds we are catching up to before I see them.   

9 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I am similar, except that I also do a change at the 4 - 5 K mark as well.

BTW, the 70000 Km season must have been a blast :lmao:

Hey, SJ...is that your new objective for next season?  :poke2:   :-P

1 hour ago, irREVerent said:

Hey, SJ...is that your new objective for next season?  :poke2:   :-P

I'm still trying to hit 10K.  After that I might set it higher.  70K would take a really good winter :-).  At an average of 50 Km/h, it would take 1400 hours.  At roughly 5 hours riding a day,( 5 hours allows time for breaks, lunch, etc), it is only 280 days of riding.  Piece of cake, right?  You in?

22 hours ago, sledjunk said:

I'm still trying to hit 10K.  After that I might set it higher.  70K would take a really good winter :-).  At an average of 50 Km/h, it would take 1400 hours.  At roughly 5 hours riding a day,( 5 hours allows time for breaks, lunch, etc), it is only 280 days of riding.  Piece of cake, right?  You in?

5 hours a day? is that plus your 3 hours per day of getting unstuck?

Archived