tracks ...120" - 129" or 137 " yes again !

so im sitting on the fence on whether or not to upgrade my current ride which is a 2012 MXZ 1200 with 120" track & SC-5 suspension ... sled runs great ! HOWEVER im beat up after long ride, particularly on Sunday. If do pull the trigger, it will be for either a MXZ "X" package 129" or Renegade "X" package 137", both 1200's. I know the Gade ride will be slightly better due to the longer track length, however im very very partial to the Yellow on MXZ & prefer the overall look compared to the Black or God forbid black/manta green Gade. ( hope i didnt offend any body )

Has anyone ridden both the MXZ & Gade with X packages, was the ride comparable or was the Gade with 8" longer track in a class all by its self ?

cheers

mike

Hi Mike I have a 2016 rene 1200 sled and the ride is very good ,its the smoothest riding sled ive ever ridden ,when its super rough it handles awesome.My last sled was a 2009 800 x and was no comparison to my 1200.Its a little harder to push it fast threw the tight stuff but other than that the rene is better in every way.My bil rides a cat and loves the ride of mine too .I think either sled would be a big improvement ,mostly because of r motion.I dont know if this helps any because its not a direct comparison,cheers Al

Buy a polaris 137 switch!!!!  All problems solved!!!  Sorry if I offended anyone, no not really lol

My R-motion MX-Z feels like I'm riding a cloud, but remember I've leap frogged over 4 generations of chassis. It's simply the best riding sled I've been on. Ever. Period. 

Go with the yellow one if it turns you on. .. you'll accept any faults it may have as long as it's putting a smile on your face. ... :)  

1 hour ago, gobills said:

Buy a polaris 137 switch!!!!  All problems solved!!!  Sorry if I offended anyone, no not really lol

I have a 2016 600 adventure SN but have tried a 2016 mxz something with 136 or 7 length and a cat that was comparable.

In my test over the same trail at the same speed the poo one hands down.

Getting shock re-built(oil change) after the first year or 1000km makes a big difference.  I have done lots of Doo shocks and the oil is black after first re-build.  Then after the second re-build the oil still looks good.  Also getting them done to your weight/riding style helps.

Most people will keep a sled for years and thousands of KM and never service the shocks.

I love the 137" track length from skidoo. On my second one and won't go back to a 121". I like having the extra room to carry luggage and gas, without being cramped up. The extra floation and better traction and braking are a bonus too. As far as ride goes, many people tell me the long tracks, don't ride any better then a short track of the same make, model and year. They just feel like they ride better, because you are usually upgrading to a newer model year at the same time. You give up abit of top speed and a little bit of cornering capability, but extra traction from longer track, more then makes up for it I find. 1200 will affect ride quality no matter what chassis, but longer track will make it feel more nimble, because of the extra floation will balance out, some of extra front in weight. I know guys hate 900 in short track, because they push thru the corners, not an issue on the 137, with extra track length makes the difference it seems. My want to think hard about the 850, it is a great engine. Also if you are after ride quality, I would stay away from X package sleds and order a softer riding sled, like an enduro or adrenaline model renny. Why buy an X package, snowcross sled to ride trails. Will beat you up, if you just trail ride, no matter what you do. I won't touch an X package sled again. I'am not ditch banging or jumping road crossings, so regular riding sleds suit me better. Good luck.

X package are soft sleds and are merely marketing hype. Even the new XRS sleds have premium high end shocks but are valved like trail sleds.

Having owned and ridden a race sled. There is simply no comparison. And in truth if the general public had to ride a Skidoo made for trail snowcross sled they would be shocked. (no pun intended)

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 9:34 PM, gobills said:

im not familiar with the Polaris 137 Switch, is that a 4 stroke ?.. i'll check it out

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 10:22 PM, Denis007 said:

My R-motion MX-Z feels like I'm riding a cloud,

Go with the yellow one if it turns you on. .. you'll accept any faults it may have as long as it's putting a smile on your face. ... :)  

my bride told me the same thing " go with what you like "

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 7:36 AM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

the 1200 motor with the weight in the front end will beat you up regardless.

Ive read that the extra weight of the 1200 affects the ride performance before, I wouldn't have guessed that 23lbs of the 1200 would make much difference

On ‎3‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 0:05 PM, mxzx121 said:

Getting shock re-built(oil change) after the first year or 1000km makes a big difference.  I have done lots of Doo shocks and the oil is black after first re-build.  Then after the second re-build the oil still looks good.  Also getting them done to your weight/riding style helps.

Most people will keep a sled for years and thousands of KM and never service the shocks.

^^ this I good advice ^^^

thanks for all the replys

cheers

No the 800 is a 2 stroke.  It's light fun and fast.   No shock service needed!!  Depending on your style of riding there are various of options avaliable to you. 3 different models the way I would put them into order is extreme trail which is the xcr, rough trail ride pro x, trail cruiser pro s.  These are the 137 models. All have the same engine in them.  I had the pro s and will be going back to the pro s.  

I know Your looking at ski doo I'm just giving you a comparison.

Although the 17 model 800 absolutely stomps the 16 800 in the long haul(right nunz)!!  They changed the timing in the 17's which makes them faster.

137 with R motion will solve your problems. I have had slot of suspentions over the years & found the 137 is better then 120 when trails get rough. I don't feel tired at the end of the day on the 137 R-motion.  The 1200 in the XS chassis is alot nicer sled also. If you like 4 stroke stay away from polaris. no 4 strokes in the switchbacks. The enduro is a great sled with  alot of options, You might light it better then a X. The 900 ace is a great motor. The bottom & midrange awesome, just suffers on the top. It pulls hard up to 110-120 then starts to fall off. If you like the top end then stay with the 1200. 

On 3/31/2017 at 10:36 AM, Viperules700 said:

I love the 137" track length from skidoo. On my second one and won't go back to a 121". I like having the extra room to carry luggage and gas, without being cramped up. The extra floation and better traction and braking are a bonus too. As far as ride goes, many people tell me the long tracks, don't ride any better then a short track of the same make, model and year. They just feel like they ride better, because you are usually upgrading to a newer model year at the same time. You give up abit of top speed and a little bit of cornering capability, but extra traction from longer track, more then makes up for it I find. 1200 will affect ride quality no matter what chassis, but longer track will make it feel more nimble, because of the extra floation will balance out, some of extra front in weight. I know guys hate 900 in short track, because they push thru the corners, not an issue on the 137, with extra track length makes the difference it seems. My want to think hard about the 850, it is a great engine. Also if you are after ride quality, I would stay away from X package sleds and order a softer riding sled, like an enduro or adrenaline model renny. Why buy an X package, snowcross sled to ride trails. Will beat you up, if you just trail ride, no matter what you do. I won't touch an X package sled again. I'am not ditch banging or jumping road crossings, so regular riding sleds suit me better. Good luck.

On the bold above, I've never before heard that a longer track can make a sled with a heavy front end more nimble!! I"m not saying that it is not true as I have no experiance, I just don't understand how. Please explain.

1 hour ago, coolbane said:

On the bold above, I've never before heard that a longer track can make a sled with a heavy front end more nimble!! I"m not saying that it is not true as I have no experiance, I just don't understand how. Please explain.

Maybe nimble might not be the right word, but more balanced might make more sense.

Being as all (most) of the weight of the 1200 is over the skis, the balance is biased to the front.  When you add the extra track length, this adds a bit of mass, ground contact, traction etc. to the rear.  This affects the feel of the unit, might have the feel of being more nimble due to the balance point moving rearward with the extra traction and length.  Don't know if this was what was meant above, but it's how I interpret it.  

I'd never touch a 1200 on a shorty, I rode Amendola2001's 1200 last year, and didn't like the feel of all that motor with no track to push it.  A 137 is minimum for that engine to have enough track to justify the torque and weight of the engine.  A 20 x 156" Expedition 1200 will powerslide that track all day long for as long as you can hold the fun lever, so to have that weight in such a tiny rolling chassis is akin to putting a 460 in a Pinto.

20 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Maybe nimble might not be the right word, but more balanced might make more sense.

Being as all (most) of the weight of the 1200 is over the skis, the balance is biased to the front.  When you add the extra track length, this adds a bit of mass, ground contact, traction etc. to the rear.  This affects the feel of the unit, might have the feel of being more nimble due to the balance point moving rearward with the extra traction and length.  Don't know if this was what was meant above, but it's how I interpret it.  

I'd never touch a 1200 on a shorty, I rode Amendola2001's 1200 last year, and didn't like the feel of all that motor with no track to push it.  A 137 is minimum for that engine to have enough track to justify the torque and weight of the engine.  A 20 x 156" Expedition 1200 will powerslide that track all day long for as long as you can hold the fun lever, so to have that weight in such a tiny rolling chassis is akin to putting a 460 in a Pinto.

And you point is ???

I think Denis explained it the best. The shortest sled I have ridden was a 114" track and now have a 144" track. I love the sled I have now for smoothness and comfort. The shorty's were race sleds. Two very different sleds for two very different purposes. Left, right balance on a race sled with the driver controlling some left, right balance and ALL the front rear balance. Long track sleds drive nicer with the longer wheelbase and bodily input has less influence on the sled.

Not unlike how a longbox crew cab rides better than a shortbox regular cab ... the wheelbase spaces out the bumps, setting the front/rear bounce events further apart.  I prefer a shorty, more manoeuverable with little delay in steering effect after input ... less stable at warp 3 though ..... :D 

Archived