Love Quebec

GrizzlyGriff

2 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Has anyone ever had their truck or trailer stolen while riding in quebec. I heard it can be a problem if you aren't careful where to park? Any truth to this?

I have heard similar as well as sleds being stolen. I have heard of people tying a string from their sled parked in front of their motel room door to their wrist while in bed. I obviously can't confirm this as first hand but would question why so many of the Quebec winter resorts advertise secure locked storage for your sled with 24 hour on site security. Anybody know... fact or fiction.

This is true for all travel world wide. Keep your wits about you, and don't play the target.

Fact is, you never hear about the multitude of successful en-eventful trips, only the disasters.

My family tells me not to ride because it's too dangerous. They DO have a point.

People die doing this, and with the way things are going, with the complete lack of any enforcement of even the most basic of rules, it's going to get worse.

I'm still going to ride.

I see much more law enforcement on the roads and trails of Quebec than I've seen in my home province.

I didn't see any patrol this season, much less get stopped and checked for pass, insurance and ownership. 2500+ km. Roughly 25 trips.

I rode Quebec twice, 750km,  stopped both times. Once by volunteers, once by Provincial Police.

6 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Has anyone ever had their truck or trailer stolen while riding in quebec. I heard it can be a problem if you aren't careful where to park? Any truth to this?

It is true, we no longer leave trucks/trailers parked in Quebec.

I don't hear of it happening as much anymore however.

3 hours ago, manotickmike said:

This is true for all travel world wide. Keep your wits about you, and don't play the target.

Fact is, you never hear about the multitude of successful en-eventful trips, only the disasters.

My family tells me not to ride because it's too dangerous. They DO have a point.

People die doing this, and with the way things are going, with the complete lack of any enforcement of even the most basic of rules, it's going to get worse.

I'm still going to ride.

I see much more law enforcement on the roads and trails of Quebec than I've seen in my home province.

I didn't see any patrol this season, much less get stopped and checked for pass, insurance and ownership. 2500+ km. Roughly 25 trips.

I rode Quebec twice, 750km,  stopped both times. Once by volunteers, once by Provincial Police.

This is very true, and zero tolerance as well. And I mean that in a good way.

Never had a problem in Quebec with sleds or truck and trailer.  Do not know anyone who has had anything stolen there either.

as for trial patrol they mean business there.  While there this year they did not want to let us go due to having custom registration numbers on the sled.  It took about 10 minutes of arguing with 6 guys.  This was on trail 3 coming out of Quebec City.  In the end they were fine once they understood that in Ontario it's fine to have custom numbers and the numbers matched the ownership.   In Quebec it is not allowed.  

We also have not had a problem with thefts in Quebec.Due to unforseen circumstances,had to leave 3 sleds at a hotel in Mont Laurier (one of the more theft prone towns) overnight while we retrieved my truck and trailer from New Liskeard.Mine was a brand new at the time XRS800. I will say I was nervous but they were all still there when we got back the next day.That being said,I would still take more precautions against theft in Quebec than Ontario.All the people we dealt with there were very friendly,we didn't encounter one rude person,and we don't speak a word of french.

Just saw on "Dootalk" that in Mount Valin there were some vandals that burnt some trucks and trailers. Pics were posted.You can see the yellow evidence markers by the vehicles and a Qpp doing an investigation

.Not good! 

Last few years,  I've seen more posts about sleds n ATV's etc being stolen right here at home in Ontario vs travellers in Quebec. At one time, St Zenon area was an absolute hot spot for trucks, trailers n sleds going missing. It died off for several seasons but odd year you still hear / read about multi large thefts in and about that area.

No matter where you are,  a conscious effort to make your stuff less attractive to steal vs the easy pickings right around the next corner and chances are better than not you'll be just fine. At night, sleds parked as close to the motel window as possible plus locked together with two high end cables and locks then covered. Unless it's mega cold out, we also leave the window cracked a little so your more likely to hear someone messing with them.

Have done  about 13 multi day saddlebag trips in various areas of Quebec over last 21 years. Never seen or heard of a truck/trailer or sled theft while on our travels there. We park the truck/trailer in the mast secure spot available at our starting location and put locks on all available hitch & trailer spots. First few trips we even pulled an ignition breaker from the panel under the hood of the truck as an added deterrent. Always cable the sleds together at night (in Ontario as well). Thoroughly enjoy everything about Quebec sledding and will continue to split our trips between Quebec and northern Ontario. 

We are currently in Quebec at the hotel universal in rivière du loop. Have had nothing but positive experiences while travelling in Quebec. That would equate to over 2000 miles in the last 4 years. They love sledders and will go out of their way to help whether or not you speak french. We have done numerous saddle bag tours in Ontario over the last 20 years of sledding and for the last four years we always seem to end up in Quebec for part of it. As far as la bannick goes it is absolutely fabulous. When we arrived by sled they offered to either take us into town for supplies or they would go get it for us. If you ever have a chance to stay there it's worth it. Get the sledders package you won't be disappointed 

I stayed at the La Bannick twice this year and on both occasions found the cabins/cottage great for accommodations but the dining was weak. They want to charge you Toronto pricing but the foods is not up to the challenge. They have a bit of a captured market as it is the only really decent place to stay around Villa Marie IMO

On 3/31/2017 at 10:06 AM, SteveB said:

I stayed at the La Bannick twice this year and on both occasions found the cabins/cottage great for accommodations but the dining was weak. They want to charge you Toronto pricing but the foods is not up to the challenge. They have a bit of a captured market as it is the only really decent place to stay around Villa Marie IMO

Nope, not true...Temi-Kami is fairly close to La Bannik, and is also very nice...the time we were there a few years ago, the food was excellent.

On 3/30/2017 at 10:42 AM, PISTON LAKE CRUISER said:

Have done  about 13 multi day saddlebag trips in various areas of Quebec over last 21 years. Never seen or heard of a truck/trailer or sled theft while on our travels there. We park the truck/trailer in the mast secure spot available at our starting location and put locks on all available hitch & trailer spots. First few trips we even pulled an ignition breaker from the panel under the hood of the truck as an added deterrent. Always cable the sleds together at night (in Ontario as well). Thoroughly enjoy everything about Quebec sledding and will continue to split our trips between Quebec and northern Ontario. 

X2, PLC.  

It's always a great cultural and culinary experience, aside from the great trails.  And don't let the language be a deterrent...even in the more remote areas where English is less common, if you make just a little effort to speak very basic French, it is always well-received, and we have never been badly-treated anywhere on our Quebec sled travels.

On 4/1/2017 at 11:37 AM, irREVerent said:

X2, PLC.  

It's always a great cultural and culinary experience, aside from the great trails.  And don't let the language be a deterrent...even in the more remote areas where English is less common, if you make just a little effort to speak very basic French, it is always well-received, and we have never been badly-treated anywhere on our Quebec sled travels.

X2...

We buy Quebec permits every year. Buy early discount and then get insurance rebate back. Culinary experience awesome. we been going to Quebec 10-15 years and always saddlebag from 3-7 days per trip. Always take precautions where ever we sleds and always lock sleds together with cable locks. Actually we have had parts stolen off our sled in Northern Ontario but never in Quebec. We usally do 30% or 1500-2500km in Quebec every year. Their trails and everything else is the next level better. Gaspe is the ultimate!

I've also been there many times and never had a problem, like guys said above you have to pick your spots like everywhere else, things can happen anywhere... 

some of the major spots I've been to in the mountains north of Montreal have fenced off parking compounds...

I do at least two trip to Quebec every year ..no problems so far. love sledding there and aways had a good time with the locals. 

We stay in small town east of river du loup one night and went to a local bar and had a hard time to buy a drink. The locals kept 

paying even the bartender bought us drinks , had a great time and my french is almost nil as was most of there english.

Its like anywhere be careful where you go and where you park.

IMG_0167.JPG

Is it Trois-Pistoles you stay at? Love the little green Hotel Trois Pistoles at the west end of town. Great food.

It was resort Meritotel Lac - Etchemin I think the rooms were $100 double op. They have a great restaurant was well, but closes At 8 pm . south west of river do loup.

Archived