Love Quebec

GrizzlyGriff

Just came back from Quebec north of mont Laurier. All I can say is Wow.  Looks like I will buy a seasons pass in Quebec as well next year. People respect each other and the trails. Loved all the outfitters where you can stay. Poirvoirie 100 Lacs was an amazing place to stay. Over and above service and food. If it comes down to driving 6 hours to sled I will be choosing the northern laurentians. We were so impressed

Glad you had a great time, We will also be buying trail passes for Quebec next season, I can totally see us going there a few times next season, I have heard lots about a place called Le Bannick and it seems very nice.

It's worth the drive to Mont Laurier!!  Went twice this winter, first trip with my son. Second trip with my wife and stayed at Village Windigo. Great place if you are travelling with your spouse. Would still be reasonable if you had 4 guys to split on a 2 bedroom cottage.

Been going to that area several times since 2008. Was planning to make one more trip there last weekend but my son couldn't go at the last minute so had no one to travel with.

This year for the first time did the Gaspe Bay 5 day trip. if you love ML that is just a warm up to how good the Gaspe is. Don't know how you could find nicer trails and scenery. 11 hour drive does make it bit of a tour.

Next year I plan to make 4 trips to Quebec, need to find a couple new rider partners for couple of the trips.

If you want to get a feel for the different regions of Quebec go to:

quebecrider.com

Quebec has a little older more mature crowd of serious sledders. The local people are wonderful and really rely on the riders from Ontario and the U.S.  Language never seems to be to much of an issue.

I have pics but when I try to upload the files it says there is a problem uploading. Another thing I noticed was iMotoneiges seems to work on just GPS and doesn't need a cell signal. Our phone app seems to need a cell signal unless I have an older version 

Helps that I speak some French. Drove through Windigo. Beautiful place. Did not see gas pumps there. Long run from Mont Laurier to Fer De Chaval for fuel looks like gas station in Sainte Annes du Lac was closed 

ML was bad. We started at St Anne du Lac

11 minutes ago, Fuse6 said:

It's worth the drive to Mont Laurier!!  Went twice this winter, first trip with my son. Second trip with my wife and stayed at Village Windigo. Great place if you are travelling with your spouse. Would still be reasonable if you had 4 guys to split on a 2 bedroom cottage.

Been going to that area several times since 2008. Was planning to make one more trip there last weekend but my son couldn't go at the last minute so had no one to travel with.

This year for the first time did the Gaspe Bay 5 day trip. if you love ML that is just a warm up to how good the Gaspe is. Don't know how you could find nicer trails and scenery. 11 hour drive does make it bit of a tour.

Next year I plan to make 4 trips to Quebec, need to find a couple new rider partners for couple of the trips.

If you want to get a feel for the different regions of Quebec go to:

quebecrider.com

Quebec has a little older more mature crowd of serious sledders. The local people are wonderful and really rely on the riders from Ontario and the U.S.  Language never seems to be to much of an issue.

Stay in touch for trips next year

28 minutes ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Helps that I speak some French. Drove through Windigo. Beautiful place. Did not see gas pumps there. Long run from Mont Laurier to Fer De Chaval for fuel looks like gas station in Sainte Annes du Lac was closed 

Yes there was fuel at Windigo, right behind the main Reception building, just a 250 gal tank .

There was no signs or anything from the trail, never know it was there if hadn't seen it when we went snowshoeing .

Was the station at Saint Anne de Lac closed all winter? normally we have stop there for gas and to eat but this year we had stopped into both Rabaska Lodge and Mekoos so never drove passed the pumps to know if they were open.  Important stop for people heading N. Notawassi Lodge straight N always has fuel.

Stiill think my best sled trip was first time to ML.Just wow this is fun riding the fast smooth twisty up and downs trails all day.

Before that was always impressed with Twin Mountain, Buckhorn and Paudash trails on the years they had adequate snow to make great trails. Use to have a cottage and Catchacoma.

Steve

GrizzlyGriff, how's it going ? I've been to all the place you mentioned in Quebec and they are all great as you said they were... glad you had a great time...

410k on Saturday. From Montpellier area to Labelle and north. 2nd day out with a new pal, Adam, who has a cottage in the area.

Definitely getting a pass next year. Sledding is taken very seriously there!

Let's see if this works:

http://fcmq.viaexplora.com/i?l=e&r=1&s=EQW2C4G0FoEYCYDMiCc8AcB2ANAgLPHusbovAGwAMArJdtfJeopQLrbACWEkk16DFOWx5MWFHnZ90KTOWojMidLHJT_sgorzVEmdVkqwcovCljV1KSph0j0ecolhSnKynnpHYeSdkjkgRSI9KqwsIhWlPCwKIqIeB5RmDHxqn585oQmKZjGVvD8nqKqWAUyCiV4EVbVDtoU8FYM-Iru_uzAAC4QwHgA5iAAzvDAQA

Thanks. Worked perfectly 

Fabio! How are you?  Maybe we'll see you in Quebec next year

I've been great... I'll be there for sure :rolleyes:

Strongly considering Quebec permits for next year as well. Live in Muskoka within a Km of the local trails and haven't ridden from home in two years. If I'm going to be trailering all over may as well check out La Belle Province.

I will be looking for trip advice for sure!!

14 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

Gas station on the edge of the trail is long gone, another station right over the hill inside town.

Not surprised you liked the area, was there twice myself this winter, trails are epic.

Gas station is just off the lake in Saint Anne du Lac accessible from the trail so you don't need to grind across town from the old burnt gas station. I also rode from Montpellier on the weekend went to Parent and back trails were 10/10. Should still be good this weekend from Saint Anne du Lac if the rain stops.

I have to admit the experience of sledding in quebec with all accommodation,gas,food and some of the my all time favorite trail conditions truly makes ontario trails seem somewhere between  2nd tier and 3rd world.It seems their trail system while slightly more expensive annually reaps many benefits to  both the local service industry who specifically cater to the snowmobilers needs and the sledder allowing you the option of traveling for days on end at different lodges in contained loops with everything you need.As we drove home that weekend we joked that the trails are in better condition than quebec roads.Thanks to Griff for a nose for snow

i agree 100 percent

quebec wants snowmobilers

they do everything they can to accomadate you

province wide

has anybody ever rode trail 3 to the end

it looks like it connects to the labrador trail system 

would make a great trip

Has anyone ever had their truck or trailer stolen while riding in quebec. I heard it can be a problem if you aren't careful where to park? Any truth to this?

2 hours ago, wrecker said:

i agree 100 percent

quebec wants snowmobilers

they do everything they can to accomadate you

province wide

has anybody ever rode trail 3 to the end

it looks like it connects to the labrador trail system 

would make a great trip

It does but it's not groomed, signage is there but minimal. Wilderness trail, Cains quest type of running. Get your thirst for adventure on.

Trail 3 is a sweet trail with very low traffic. Side trails are all nice with great scenery.

21 hours ago, Nunz said:

Glad you had a great time, We will also be buying trail passes for Quebec next season, I can totally see us going there a few times next season, I have heard lots about a place called Le Bannick and it seems very nice.

Bannick is fantastic. Get a cabin with hot tub, wife luv ya. Heated garage as well, the owner is a super guy.

21 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

ML was bad. We started at St Anne du Lac

I stay just slightly east of town n take the rail line then the far less travelled East side trails up into the St Anne du Lac area. Trails in around ML can be beat up / out of snow when these are still in great shape.

Archived