Insurance Question

iangj

Has anyone been contacted by their insurance company stating that because a sled is now 10 years old it now requires a `Garage Inspection` in order to have coverage for Fire & Theft.

They say I have to take the sled into the dealer to have this inspection done to assign a value to the machine. They will still cover the liability portion.

So for the past 3+ months this sled was NOT covered if it had been stolen etc. Nice.

I`ve been a licenced mechanic now for over 30 years and never heard of this one.

Never heard of this before. Seems like a cash grab.

No, but when I changed auto insurance to TD over 10 years ago they wanted me to bring the cars in for an inspection.  It cost me nothing and I thought it was still weird.

My wife's old sled was 11 years old when we replaced it. Never heard of it before. Insurance and their underwriting rules are a nightmare to navigate and they aren't necessarily consistent from one company to another.

41 minutes ago, catinental couch said:

I have seen and heard of this before. In the eyes of an insurance company there is no value on a car , truck or sled older than 10 years.

I can kind of understand it on cars. There will be people with old wrecks of a car that they will claim were pristine collectors items and want big bucks when they are a loss. If they are appraised it protects both parties. You can get what your collector condition car was worth and the insurance company won't get ripped off.

Wawanesa.

They told me the wife`s `05 is OK because we`ve had it with them for years. The issue is with the `04 I just transferred over to my name from my sister. What I`m pissed about is that they never told me anything when I put insurance on over a month ago. So if it had been stolen within this past month I would have been screwed even though I specifically had asked for Fire & theft coverage along with the usual liability coverage.

As a licenced mechanic, they won`t allow me to to do this so-called inspection. Now I have to go back up north to get the machine and bring it home just to get this done. Ridiculous.

I asked why they don`t do what they used to do such as look up similar machines on the internet to get an average value. This is exactly what they did when one of my ATV`s was stolen. They couldn`t answer.

This stupid and a complete waste of time.

I agree. It is a waste of time. The problem crops up when you change insurance companies or ownership. Our insecure insurance companies think everybody is crooked and out to get them so if you change companies they think you tried to scam the last company and they are next. The crooks have made it bad for us.

4 hours ago, Doogirl69 said:

Time to switch insurance companies. ;)

Ditto.   Tell them to go screw themselves and go shopping down the road. 

Better shop around.

4 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I have seen and heard of this before. In the eyes of an insurance company there is no value on a car , truck or sled older than 10 years.

2 hours ago, catinental couch said:

I agree. It is a waste of time. The problem crops up when you change insurance companies or ownership. Our insecure insurance companies think everybody is crooked and out to get them so if you change companies they think you tried to scam the last company and they are next. The crooks have made it bad for us.

Same thing happens if you don't have collision and all of a sudden want it back on. I once bought a used vechicle and I had to take it in for an indepdent inspection, to verify options and condition of vehicle, even though it was purchased from a dealer. Cost me nothing but time though. 

45 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

Same thing happens if you don't have collision and all of a sudden want it back on. I once bought a used vechicle and I had to take it in for an indepdent inspection, to verify options and condition of vehicle, even though it was purchased from a dealer. Cost me nothing but time though. 

Sometimes it's the time that is more of a pain than the cost.

1 hour ago, gibson said:

Time to change companies.

I'd be of the same thought.

Archived