Need Advice - Sled Burnt Down

MXZMike

So this happened to my friend this weekend.  Sled is under 100% full manufacturer warranty.  What happens? Who's responsible?  Manufacturer or insurance or dealer?  Had major engine work done last week.  Need to figure out best approach to make the best out of the situation.

No one was hurt.

Mike

Sled.jpg

I would think insurance, who may in turn go after whomever did the work.

What was it???

Take it in under warranty.  Tell 'em Nunz sent you.

Sorry buddy :wtf:

Seriously, probably insurance, but it seems unfair that your buddy would get a strike against him for a claim that was likely caused by either Mfr or dealer. 

Change dealer, and/or sled brand ... no guarantee that a new identical sled won't burn either.

Friend talking with dealer today.. Will update you guys with what they say.. I want to keep brand and dealer out of it for now.  Very disappointing that a sled thats a couple years old would go down like that.

Mike

1 hour ago, MXZMike said:

Friend talking with dealer today.. Will update you guys with what they say.. I want to keep brand and dealer out of it for now.  Very disappointing that a sled thats a couple years old would go down like that.

Mike

Smart move, unless the cause is proven. I would say insurance would be the way to go and let them sort it out. Only thing you might be able to get from dealer  is to see if they will cover deductible.  Fire loss doesn't impact rates, like collision.

With how much seasonal toys spend sitting leaving them susceptible to rodent chewed wiring and or fuel lines, almost surprising it's not just that much more common. Hopefully it was something along those lines vs a mechanics oversight.

Either way, yes it's an insurance issue, up to them if they pursue the dealer or not.

Hope he makes out ok, bitch of a thing to have happen.

How did your buddy get that back to his truck or trailer, crazy carpet or something along that line?

Similar deal happened to me about 5 years ago. Stopped at a gas station and the owner/attendant was filling it up. He still had the latch on the nozzle so it can fill hands free. It didn't work and fuel gushed out and caught fire. Was able to put it out, it didn't burn to the ground like this one did but was still a write off. I filed a police report....they didn't care, never pursued it. This insurance didn't care either. They told me it wasn't worth going after the gas station, they just paid it out and went on their way. So I inventoried what had to be replaced and bought the sled back and rebuild it for a grand. Still riding it to this day and has over 53,000kms on it. So it worked out for me, I got a nice chunk of change and kept my sled. Hope it works out for your buddy.

If they payout on a sled is $10K as a total loss or perhaps even less, the legal fees to go after someone else would quickly eclipse the amount they were going after. That doesn't even include the internal costs for the insurance company itself. To the person who loses the sled it's a lot of money. To the insurance company not worth pursuing.

2 hours ago, flash 800 said:

Similar deal happened to me about 5 years ago. Stopped at a gas station and the owner/attendant was filling it up. He still had the latch on the nozzle so it can fill hands free. It didn't work and fuel gushed out and caught fire. Was able to put it out, it didn't burn to the ground like this one did but was still a write off. I filed a police report....they didn't care, never pursued it. This insurance didn't care either. They told me it wasn't worth going after the gas station, they just paid it out and went on their way. So I inventoried what had to be replaced and bought the sled back and rebuild it for a grand. Still riding it to this day and has over 53,000kms on it. So it worked out for me, I got a nice chunk of change and kept my sled. Hope it works out for your buddy.

So if it is written off as a total loss and you buy it back. How did you manage to insure it again? I thought once it is wrote off, then unit can no longer be insured and only salvaged for parts? 

17 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

So if it is written off as a total loss and you buy it back. How did you manage to insure it again? I thought once it is wrote off, then unit can no longer be insured and only salvaged for parts? 

I've heard that last year too. Mine is insured and I have the ownership. Someone else I know last year had his written off after hitting a rock and he did the same thing. Bought it back and it's on the trails all this year. Also for my other sled I bought a used tunnel from a wrecker, came with ownership. once I transferred everything to the newer tunnel I simply went down and got the registration stickers and plates. So I'm not sure about what you said but I have heard about it too. That's 3 times I know it wasn't an issue and twice with me.

Passed a burning AC in Parent Quebec this Sat. What a way to ruin a trip

To update he is still working with dealer / BRP but its looking like its going to be an insurance claim.  At least thats what he is being encouraged to pursue.  Once I have some more concrete info I will update the thread.

Only saving grace is this happened at the end of the season so there is plenty of time to get it resolved and a new sled in his hands in time for next year.  So there is no impending rush.  If this happened at beginning of the year that would have bene far worse.

Mike

2 hours ago, MXZMike said:

To update he is still working with dealer / BRP but its looking like its going to be an insurance claim.  At least thats what he is being encouraged to pursue.  Once I have some more concrete info I will update the thread.

Only saving grace is this happened at the end of the season so there is plenty of time to get it resolved and a new sled in his hands in time for next year.  So there is no impending rush.  If this happened at beginning of the year that would have bene far worse.

Mike

I would keep it going though and would pursue the insurance. Hopefully they pay out a fair value for the sled, without too much hassle. Should be pretty straight forward. If it gets stolen I have heard of people having to wait 45 or so days, before insurance will process the claim. Automobiles they have 30 days for theft, I believe before they have to pay out.

On 3/27/2017 at 3:23 PM, Viperules700 said:

There is no "Branding" for off road vehicles like there is for road going vehicles. Insurance write off means nothing to the MTO.

On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2017 at 0:15 AM, Blackstar said:

There is no "Branding" for off road vehicles like there is for road going vehicles. Insurance write off means nothing to the MTO.

Good to know and something to keep in mind when buying used off road vehicles.

Archived