Looking for a place to crash

sledjunk

We are heading to Kap starting late Wednesday night.  OF7 and I did the same drive last week and arrived at 6 AM and totally bagged.  This time, we plan on driving to about North Bay or so to spend the night, and continue in the morning.

Any recommendations on a basic place to stay that is on the highway and has room for a couple of trucks and trailers?  A restaurant would be nice for breakfast, but not necessary.  Just something clean and warm.

I know some have been turned back when Hwy 11 was closed and was hoping they might have some recommendations.

TIA

Why not try the Rock Pine at the Marten River, They have parking and we looked at their rooms at couple of weeks ago, decent and cheap and restaurant and Gas on site. Can't get any closer to the highway then them. 

Thanks Nunz.

Thought about them but the last time we stayed there was less than stellar.  (Mice, even before STG got there :-) )  Of course, that was the previous owners, so hopefully things have changed.

You might have to go down a short distance on Lakeshore Drive in North Bay - not too onerous a drive  right off the 4 land - to find some inexpensive motels. Here is one - former Arizona Motel, now called the Nipissing Motel. No web site, but here is the review page - they also have trail access for future reference-

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review-g155000-d1390630-Reviews-Nipissing_Inn-North_Bay_Northeastern_Ontario_Ontario.html

There are a number of other ones along Lakeshore - follow a google map maybe - that are closer to restaurants, gas and fast food - I have not got them bookmarked myself as they don't have trail access or did not have a web site.

Just another thought - north of North Bay - up the steep hill on highway 11 - the Bomarc Motel, The White Fawn (I think) and one other one - all still open this winter - not close to restaurants though.

SJ...based on our experience there a few years ago, I would not recommend Rock Pine. It may have new owners, but looks as though they have not invested anything in sprucing the place up. Aside from the rodent issue, as you'll recall, rooms were not very clean. Food was good though.

Here's another thought...Northland Paradise in Temagami...2 minutes off Hwy 11 ( behind railway station), only an hour north of North Bay, rooms not fancy, but warm and comfortable, and you may be able to arrange meals too. Just a thought...

8 minutes ago, irREVerent said:

SJ...based on our experience there a few years ago, I would not recommend Rock Pine. It may have new owners, but looks as though they have not invested anything in sprucing the place up. Aside from the rodent issue, as you'll recall, rooms were not very clean. Food was good though.

Here's another thought...Northland Paradise in Temagami...2 minutes off Hwy 11 ( behind railway station), only an hour north of North Bay, rooms not fancy, but warm and comfortable, and you may be able to arrange meals too. Just a thought...

Need full disclosure here IrReverent :poke2: Actually a good place - visited there a couple of summers ago. Guy there does a lot of work on the trails as well.

19 minutes ago, slomo said:

Need full disclosure here IrReverent :poke2: Actually a good place - visited there a couple of summers ago. Guy there does a lot of work on the trails as well.

Lol...that's on a "need-to-know" basis, Slomo...and those who need to know already do. :-D

I have been doing some searching in the meantime.  I found the Bo-Mark Motel on Hwy 11 and it was the one that I was trying to remember the name of.  I have reservations there and we will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

irREV, I had thought of Northern Paradise, but it seemed further than I really wanted to drive Wednesday night.  While I was OK as far as being awake last week, it was pretty hard to get motivated on Thursday.  Of course, the blinding snow squalls that we hit after NL didn't help much either.  There were times when we were down to 20 KM/H and visibility was almost nil.

16 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

I have been doing some searching in the meantime.  I found the Bo-Mark Motel on Hwy 11 and it was the one that I was trying to remember the name of.  I have reservations there and we will see how it goes.

Thanks for all the suggestions. 

irREV, I had thought of Northern Paradise, but it seemed further than I really wanted to drive Wednesday night.  While I was OK as far as being awake last week, it was pretty hard to get motivated on Thursday.  Of course, the blinding snow squalls that we hit after NL didn't help much either.  There were times when we were down to 20 KM/H and visibility was almost nil.

There is a truck stop (Bay?) about 1-2 km. back towards N.Bay from the Bo-Mark on the other side of the road. Good restaurant and fast service when we have eaten there. It's going the wrong way but the fast service might make up for extra 5 minutes of travel.

Bay motel left hand side of hwy travelling north.  Just 5 mins from the big hill.  Stayed yrs back a cpl times enroute north. 

Was fine, no restaurant tho, but that truck stop is close I think that was previously mentioned.   I see you've made reservations already but i mentioned just because. 

Stay away from anything around Temagami if you're looking for a place to crash ... ask our friend Amendola2001 ... he knows all about it ... :D 

4 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Stay away from anything around Temagami if you're looking for a place to crash ... ask our friend Amendola2001 ... he knows all about it ... :D 

index.jpg.a40fa16f373825447d600b0163800b59.jpg

1 hour ago, shawnj said:

Bay motel left hand side of hwy travelling north.  Just 5 mins from the big hill.  Stayed yrs back a cpl times enroute north. 

Was fine, no restaurant tho, but that truck stop is close I think that was previously mentioned.   I see you've made reservations already but i mentioned just because. 

Thanks.  It is good for future reference.

7 minutes ago, Denis007 said:

Ouch!!!  I was going to clarify,maybe I should have. :lol:

5 minutes ago, sledjunk said:

Ouch!!!  I was going to clarify,maybe I should have. :lol:

I've got this nasty habit of reading a different interpretation into whatever I read .... one of my finest qualities .... :D 

We have stayed at the http://sunsetinn.ca a few times. Clean basic motel rooms or a suite upgrade. Owners have always been very good to us. 

Archived