$20,000. Snowmobiles and the Canary In the Coal Mine

Cuyuna

Ya Ya kids are all bad these days.

Our parents said the same, their parents said the same before.

Do you know how I punish my kid? I buy him an 04 Rev that's pieced together. That'll teach him.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next up texting and sledding.

16 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Ya Ya kids are all bad these days.

Our parents said the same, their parents said the same before.

Do you know how I punish my kid? I buy him an 04 Rev that's pieced together. That'll teach him.

He's probably going, that's a 13 year old sled, WTF.

40 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

and if it has a windshield it will be removed, the risers will go on so he can comfortably stand up, never sitting down and the Monster stickers will be plastered all over it since they make the sled go faster

If there is one thing I pick up from reading this and many other threads is that it will be the older generation of sledders that destroys trail riding.  Everyone must forget what it was like to be young.

12 minutes ago, Guy JR said:

If there is one thing I pick up from reading this and many other threads is that it will be the older generation of sledders that destroys trail riding.  Everyone must forget what it was like to be young.

The one thing that I notice about trail riding is that all of the volunteering, trail work, club work and organization seems to be done by the "older generation" and a lot of the issues that are contributing to trail closures seem to originate from the "younger generation ". This conversation has been going around in a big circle far too long and in too many of our threads. If you attend a club meeting or two, you will see what I mean.

24 minutes ago, Guy JR said:

I remember very well what it was like to be young and I remember what my parents taught me very well. Respect your elders and most importantly respect other peoples property. It's the lack of respect for other peoples property, their private property, that they let us have our trails on that is the problem.

They can ride around on sleds without windshields, standing up and covered with Monster stickers all they want and I could care less. I just find it funny that at the same time they say how cold it is yet sitting down with a windshield would resolve that.

The problem is when they ignore the STAY ON TRAIL OR PERMISSION REVOKED signs to run through the pristine snow because the sign obviously can't be referring to them. Or they mouth off to a landowner about the landowner being on THEIR snowmobile trail. The nerve of the person who owns the property walking their dog on THEIR PRIVATE PROPERTY. That resulted in a trail being closed.

Sure there will be the odd "older" person that will run off trail but the overwhelming majority are the "younger" demographic.

Stay on trail is a very simple and basic concept. We are entitled to nothing and rely on the generosity of the landowner who gets nothing in return for letting us have a trail on their property

2 hours ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Yup. Now If I really wanted to punish him. Id buy him an Arctic Cat. But Honestly that may be a call to Childrens Aid.

1 hour ago, 02Sled said:

and if it has a windshield it will be removed, the risers will go on so he can comfortably stand up, never sitting down and the Monster stickers will be plastered all over it since they make the sled go faster

I bought him the fake Mohawk for his helmet for his Birthday,

BAN THEM ALL!

5 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

Yup. Now If I really wanted to punish him. Id buy him an Arctic Cat. But Honestly that may be a call to Childrens Aid.

BAN THEM ALL!

:rotflmao: was it bright red... Now the real question... how many times will you go out to use your own sled and find it missing and his still there? Then when you do go out and yours IS there it actually has gas in it.

I know of one situation where their son tended to take whichever sled had the most gas in it and always return it empty or real close. They had a gas station around the corner from their home and his dad started making sure that his sons sled was always topped up as an incentive to make sure he took his own sled, the one with the most gas.

35 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

:rotflmao: was it bright red... Now the real question... how many times will you go out to use your own sled and find it missing and his still there? Then when you do go out and yours IS there it actually has gas in it.

I know of one situation where their son tended to take whichever sled had the most gas in it and always return it empty or real close. They had a gas station around the corner from their home and his dad started making sure that his sons sled was always topped up as an incentive to make sure he took his own sled, the one with the most gas.

He pays for his own gas and also wouldn't dream of taking my sled.

He is going to find a big difference this season riding an 800 etec vs a 600 etec

1 hour ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

I'm not brand loyal at all.  I have one Cat and two Poos.  My next sled (800) will be a tough choice between the three.  

32 minutes ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

He pays for his own gas and also wouldn't dream of taking my sled.

He is going to find a big difference this season riding an 800 etec vs a 600 etec

We swap all the time between his 600 Rush and my 800 Cat, definately a diff.

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎13 at 0:47 PM, ArcticCrusher said:

We swap all the time between his 600 Rush and my 800 Cat, definately a diff.

Yup. Going to be a shocker but no big deal. Supposed to go look at an 800 etec renegade for him tomorrow.

On 4/13/2017 at 9:50 AM, Guy JR said:

Not so much that Guy. The older folks remember when people were more courteous, respectful of others, were mannerly, etc. However, this discussion about "old" verses "young" is pointless given the milieu in which the recent generation has been raised.

In my day, people kept their strange or different notions to themselves. With the spread of the internet, it wasn't long before a person with any fantasy, kink, fetish, or down right disgusting behaviour couldn't find someone else with similar persuasions and a built in support group on a web site, facebook site, yahoo group or whatever. It you wanted sex with goats, there was somebody out there that found support for this with others by the simple use of a search engine. With all this new freedom came a general breakdown in societal values which have more or less extended to freedom in all aspects of life - manners, courtesy and respect be damned.

I wouldn't even bother replying to this thread except for an occurance the other day - sitting waiting for a red light to change at an intersection, the person next to me in the left turn lane, went and made his left turn on a red light. No doubt he looked around to see if cops were present, or at least if there was perpendicular traffic, but this action is something I would not even have contemplated. This was the third time in a month that I've observed such a thing - can't count the number of times people have taken a dump in a public washroom and not flushed a toilet. Even got people on this forum openly supporting riding on a red - meaning closed - trail. The new motto on the family crest now reads "Where's Mine?".

As far as a cure for this goes, there isn't one. Education won't work. More enforcement might. Not likely though. I'm thinking the best thing to do is find a place with less density of population, and thus, a decreased asshole factor.

9 hours ago, slomo said:

If you wanted sex with goats, there was somebody out there that found support for this with others......

You say this like it's a bad thing........???

Slomo, that is one of the most accurate, down to earth n simplified explanations of how badly society has / is going to hell I've ever seen.  Actions such as you've described, gone from the rarest of rare to things you'll see virtually each and every day. Sad part, you don't need to be hypersensitive or overly judegmental, a-hos are everywhere and seeminly proud of it.

Thank you for your post.

18 hours ago, slomo said:

As far as a cure for this goes, there isn't one. Education won't work. More enforcement might. Not likely though. I'm thinking the best thing to do is find a place with less density of population, and thus, a decreased a-ho factor.

Good luck with that!!

My 6+ decades of experience would indicate that a decrease in population does not result in a decrease of A-holes. Just a different breed!

Slomo, good post. 'Older' folks are to blame for bad behaviour. Just go to any community in cottage country during the summer. "Honey, I have to get a bottle of wine at the LCBO, but the lot is full." No, problem, I'll just sit here in the Tahoe (towing a boat trailer) in the lane and wait for you."

The asshat that moved his Range Rover to block half of our driveway was older than me. When I brought it to his attention, he apologized, got back in and moved it. I guess if younger folks see bad behaviour from their parents, they'll do the same.

Mind you before you mention any public washroom experiences, could you give us a TMI warning :-(

11 minutes ago, revrnd said:

Slomo, good post. 'Older' folks are to blame for bad behaviour. Just go to any community in cottage country during the summer. "Honey, I have to get a bottle of wine at the LCBO, but the lot is full." No, problem, I'll just sit here in the Tahoe (towing a boat trailer) in the lane and wait for you."

The asshat that moved his Range Rover to block half of our driveway was older than me. When I brought it to his attention, he apologized, got back in and moved it. I guess if younger folks see bad behaviour from their parents, they'll do the same.

Mind you before you mention any public washroom experiences, could you give us a TMI warning :-(

Heck with stopping at the LCBO when the lot is full. Yesterday we stopped for a bottle of wine. There were lots of parking spaces available, about 50%. 3 cars pulled up to the curb in front of the store and parked there rather than in one of the free spaces. Too far to walk I guess. The driver is the one that got out and went inside, not the passenger. The lane is just wide enough for two cars and traffic came to a halt since there was a fairly steady stream of oncoming traffic.

One of my pet peeves are the people who park in the handicap parking but aren't entitled to.

3 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Heck with stopping at the LCBO when the lot is full. Yesterday we stopped for a bottle of wine. There were lots of parking spaces available, about 50%. 3 cars pulled up to the curb in front of the store and parked there rather than in one of the free spaces. Too far to walk I guess. The driver is the one that got out and went inside, not the passenger. The lane is just wide enough for two cars and traffic came to a halt since there was a fairly steady stream of oncoming traffic.

One of my pet peeves are the people who park in the handicap parking but aren't entitled to.

You were in Apsley! LOL

13 minutes ago, whits-end said:

Just be the person you want to be.  The occasional smile or acknowledgement from folks who still appreciate politeness and courtesy are worth it.

I want to be STG but only on alternate Sundays.

Archived