$20,000. Snowmobiles and the Canary In the Coal Mine

Cuyuna

26 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

I am sure that is true for many.  I have taken friends and workers out on the sleds and while they absolutely loved it, they won't be buying anytime soon.  No place for them to store them, the thought of trailering does not sound appealing, but most importantly if their significant other is not interested then that pretty much puts the kabosh on their plans.

Getting new people into the sport has been a discussion that has come here in the past. The point about nowhere to store them has been raised by many of those I have tried to entice into the sport. Some of these people live in condo apartments which limits their ability to store them even more so than those that live in suburban homes. Even those that do have the space aren't prepared to trade in their cars to get a tow vehicle. One of the discussion points I have made was that there are lots of people in the GTA without any place to store a boat but they have them. There are a multitude of marinas where people can dock and store their boats, drive to them in their car and enjoy the sport for the day.

It is unfortunate that there are so very few similar options for snowmobiles. Some of those I have talked with would be much more interested if this were the case. A secure place on or close to a trail providing reasonable access and the ability to leave their sleds parked for the season. Perhaps a drive shed style shelter they could drive to, bring their helmet and gear, ride for the day and then park the sled when done. At the end of the season also provide summer storage. I know of one or two of these only and never see anything like this being promoted at the sled show or in any of the print media.

If the sport was more accommodating to those facing these limitations we would perhaps see more participation. For many people it's not a cost factor. Just look at the cost of a new boat these days. I was shocked when looking at a Princecraft aluminum fishing boat at $107,000.00 at the boat show and it was sold.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Getting new people into the sport has been a discussion that has come here in the past. The point about nowhere to store them has been raised by many of those I have tried to entice into the sport. Some of these people live in condo apartments which limits their ability to store them even more so than those that live in suburban homes. Even those that do have the space aren't prepared to trade in their cars to get a tow vehicle. One of the discussion points I have made was that there are lots of people in the GTA without any place to store a boat but they have them. There are a multitude of marinas where people can dock and store their boats, drive to them in their car and enjoy the sport for the day.

It is unfortunate that there are so very few similar options for snowmobiles. Some of those I have talked with would be much more interested if this were the case. A secure place on or close to a trail providing reasonable access and the ability to leave their sleds parked for the season. Perhaps a drive shed style shelter they could drive to, bring their helmet and gear, ride for the day and then park the sled when done. At the end of the season also provide summer storage. I know of one or two of these only and never see anything like this being promoted at the sled show or in any of the print media.

If the sport was more accommodating to those facing these limitations we would perhaps see more participation. For many people it's not a cost factor. Just look at the cost of a new boat these days. I was shocked when looking at a Princecraft aluminum fishing boat at $107,000.00 at the boat show and it was sold.

I don't see too many 100K boats on the cottage lake, but everyone has one.  A handful own and use sleds, and really don't have a storage issue.  A couple handful own and use ATV's and SxS.  So if the people who have the property near the trails can't get motivated, we really can't expect others to jump in.  I know if the only way to ride for me was by trailering, I doubt I would be in it very long.

Coming from a relative "newb" getting back into the sport after 30+ years away...

If it weren't for a desperate need to get a fix, and being partially handicapped, I'd never have re-visited sledding.

If you're adding a sled to your stable of tow vehicle and maybe switching to a different trailer to accommodate the different toy, it's one thing, but buying 2 sleds, a trailer and a tow vehicle, add passes, insurance and fuel for toys and towing, accommodations at peak prices.... It's intimidating. Add to that, a steadily diminishing number of trails, and feeble winters..

Most of my dirt bike pals either buy beater sleds and ditch bang locally, or sit out the "off season". It's really difficult to explain/justify the expense, and I'm SURE not going to entertain the idea of a new sled. It's just not a part of my current "investment" plan.

On 3/31/2017 at 1:03 PM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

20,000 dollar sleds do nothing to help newbies enter the sport

Newbies do not have to buy $20,000 sleds, but if they did maybe the trails would be safer,because they would respect there investment,slow down and stay on there own side.

On 4/2/2017 at 8:38 PM, Dufftom said:

Newbies do not have to buy $20,000 sleds, but if they did maybe the trails would be safer,because they would respect there investment,slow down and stay on there own side.

Nothing like a near miss from some clown on a beat up (no graphics) '04 REV that should've been parted out years ago.

End of rant.

Lots of people buying new sleds next year. So money is definatly cheap. First year I have seen skidoo give zero percent financing for 4 years. That is a good deal. Can sell your old sled in fall and ride free for a year or two. Going to see lots of new doo's on the trail next winter.

4 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Lots of people buying new sleds next year. So money is definatly cheap. First year I have seen skidoo give zero percent financing for 4 years. That is a good deal. Can sell your old sled in fall and ride free for a year or two. Going to see lots of new doo's on the trail next winter.

Ski doo were the first to offer the never never plan in sledding and it took them to number 1 in sales, smart, the sheep remain dumb as ever and they know it

On 07/04/2017 at 8:16 PM, revrnd said:

Nothing like a near miss from some clown on a beat up (no graphics) '04 REV that should've been parted out years ago.

End of rant.

You forgot the 8" bar risers, race can, half dozen performance stickers, wearing a back pack and carrying extra fuel strapped to the tunnel

10 minutes ago, gibson said:

You forgot the 8" bar risers, race can, half dozen performance stickers, wearing a back pack and carrying extra fuel strapped to the tunnel

don't forget the Monster stickers as well

6 hours ago, gibson said:

No he blew the budget on the plain black winter jacket & Carhart or Dickies bibs. The Monster sticker is mandatory.

7 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Ski doo were the first to offer the never never plan in sledding and it took them to number 1 in sales, smart, the sheep remain dumb as ever and they know it

My '07 was purchased on the No No No plan in the spring of '07 (what a ordeal that was :banghead: ). Not sure if I had the option of a 2nd year engine warranty when I bought. When I lost the PTO crank bearing on the 1st ride of the 2nd season, it was implied that since I went for the financing deal rather than pay MSRP & extended warranty, I was SOL.

On 2017-03-31 at 0:46 PM, 02Sled said:

A secure place on or close to a trail providing reasonable access and the ability to leave their sleds parked for the season. Perhaps a drive shed style shelter they could drive to, bring their helmet and gear, ride for the day and then park the sled when done. At the end of the season also provide summer storage. I know of one or two of these only and never see anything like this being promoted at the sled show or in any of the print media.

I have thought about doing this at my place, but I worry about liability, insurance and the unknown quantity you are allowing access to your property.... A secure storage type facility at a park and ride area might be a good money maker for the local clubs. Gated with small garages like mini storage and people could rent yr round. Storage in summer and park and ride in the winter.

1 hour ago, Micar said:

I have thought about doing this at my place, but I worry about liability, insurance and the unknown quantity you are allowing access to your property.... A secure storage type facility at a park and ride area might be a good money maker for the local clubs. Gated with small garages like mini storage and people could rent yr round. Storage in summer and park and ride in the winter.

The challenging parts for a club to do this are similar to yours plus others. Where do a group of volunteers raise the money to acquire the land and put up the building then operate as a full time business. Then dealing with hst, income tax and maintenance. Most clubs are already stretched thin. 

On ‎2017‎-‎04‎-‎07 at 8:16 PM, revrnd said:

End of rant.

17 hours ago, gibson said:

You guys forget we were all there and yes education is key but without young guys cobbling together a sled the sport will never survive.

2 hours ago, 02Sled said:

The challenging parts for a club to do this are similar to yours plus others. Where do a group of volunteers raise the money to acquire the land and put up the building then operate as a full time business. Then dealing with hst, income tax and maintenance. Most clubs are already stretched thin. 

Plus, unless it is monitored 7/24 the insurance costs would be enormous.

Wouldn't take much for some miscreant to torch it, or break in.

8 minutes ago, Bigfish said:

Plus, unless it is monitored 7/24 the insurance costs would be enormous.

Wouldn't take much for some miscreant to torch it, or break in.

There are lots of self storage places that are able to overcome these challenges however they are fully functioning businesses set up as such. Quite the stretch for a group of volunteers however not a stretch for a marina operator that is in proximity to the trail system I don't believe. Not necessarily that different from operating a marina. One is a boat at a dock the other is a snowmobile perhaps in a drive shed. The risk would I suspect be similar. Initially business may be slow until it catches on but I think it could. Not only can I see it being viable for the person without a trailer or tow vehicle even those who simply don't want to be towing their trailer back and forth each week may find it attractive. I can JUST fit the snowmobile trailer and two vehicles in the driveway, much to the dismay of my wife. That's why we keep them north. The marinas have the parking space, they just need to plow it. Perhaps the marina operators however aren't as financially hungry as many suggest they are and simply want the winter off. There are always theft concerns however I look at the number of boats that are simply tied to a dock, no locks. A simple pull of a cord will start the motor and it's gone. You can even paddle or row away until you are far enough to start the motor and not cause concern.  

On 4/9/2017 at 10:17 AM, Viperules700 said:

I would have thought the tax savings from trading into dealer against the new sled would always be more attractive than trying to do a private sale in the fall? Are the dealers offering so little on trade-in that it makes private sale worth the hassle?

2 hours ago, coolbane said:

I would have thought the tax savings from trading into dealer against the new sled would always be more attractive than trying to do a private sale in the fall? Are the dealers offering so little on trade-in that it makes private sale worth the hassle?

If the snowmobile is off brand and or more then 5 or so years old, yes selling private is only way to go. Basically have to give it to a dealer. Dealers tell me it is easier to sell new stuff on a zero percent 48 month payment term, then to sell used and owner has to go to the bank and borrow all the cash at once. Most people can afford a monthly payment, but can't come up with 5 or so k all at once.

On 4/10/2017 at 9:12 AM, UsedtoSkidoo said:

You guys forget we were all there and yes education is key but without young guys cobbling together a sled the sport will never survive.

Yes, but we weren't jumping on a sled that made 100 or so HP when new. My 1st new sled was a Citation '84 3500 (Could've bought an SS25, but couldn't justfy $3500 on a sled). Not sure what would've been an equivalent late 70s sled.

Also, the early REVs were ill-handling to experienced riders (see suspension & ski revisions). Throw in a newby on 1 trying to keep up to their friends on faster, newer sleds & you have a recipe for disaster.

13 hours ago, revrnd said:

Yes, but we weren't jumping on a sled that made 100 or so HP when new. My 1st new sled was a Citation '84 3500 (Could've bought an SS25, but couldn't justfy $3500 on a sled). Not sure what would've been an equivalent late 70s sled.

Also, the early REVs were ill-handling to experienced riders (see suspension & ski revisions). Throw in a newby on 1 trying to keep up to their friends on faster, newer sleds & you have a recipe for disaster.

my point was, the younger riders are our future embrace and educate them or lose our sport forever

2 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

my point was, the younger riders are our future embrace and educate them or lose our sport forever

Too true!!!

2 hours ago, UsedtoSkidoo said:

True... the challenge will be to educate them. You try and impart some education like staying off private property and you're likely to get some profanity and a single digit in the air. Entitlement is a sign of the times.

There are exceptions and those exceptions prove there is hope.

Some of the exceptions are not good news. I have noticed an awful lot of our generation seem to have a huge sense of entitlement. Therefore you have the next generation with the same mindset. It is like the old saying: If you are going to teach the dog anything then you are supposed to be smarter than the dog.

1 hour ago, catinental couch said:

If you are going to teach the dog anything then you are supposed to be smarter than the dog.

Hadn't heard that one.  Love it!

I will use it.

Archived