$20,000. Snowmobiles and the Canary In the Coal Mine

Cuyuna

"Shhh. They're about to land. "

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On March 23, 2017 at 11:34 AM, 02Sled said:

Interpret what you will however you want. All I said was that I caught your implied comment on the demographics of sledders.

Now back on topic....who here has the most expensive snowmobile....

Here is an article on the cost of the new sleds and sticker shock

http://www.amsnow.com/news/2017/02/the-price-is-right

Skidoo grandtoruing Se is up there I paid just under 17k all in. R motion and air suspension is nice. So if you keep th sled for 6 or so years isn't so bad, since they tend to hold value better then most models. 

Sleds have been in our family since before I was born - 41 years ago - my parents are 70 and are both on new iron.

My current sled is a 2012 and it is by far the longest I have ever kept a sled - it went less than a whole 100 miles this year.

I am presently stuck in the cycle of kids sports eating 99% of any free time one might ever have - but I wouldn't trade that for anything, I coach and it's really a lot of fun for me.

Global warming is real - if you don't believe that - you need help. We have had property in Huntsville since 1979 and I have watched that change- if it's a cycle, then it's a very very very long cycle and I would love for it to start turning back to how winters used to be there, cause they are nothing like they used to be - at all.

My only hope is there is trails left to ride once the sporting world spits my kids back out and they want to spend time doing other things. Both my kids have sleds - a 120 and a 340 - and very little time to ride, but when they do, smiles for miles!

Keep on sledding, stay safe folks

14 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Skidoo grandtoruing Se is up there I paid just under 17k all in. R motion and air suspension is nice. So if you keep th sled for 6 or so years isn't so bad, since they tend to hold value better then most models. 

Sat on the grand touring today. 

Pretty comfortable 

Really really liking.the wide track expedition and new Polaris titan.

I liked the Grand Touring we used to have. People used to kid me about it being an old man's sled and compared it to riding a couch. They said it was too long to maneuver on the trails. Now you see one up sleds just as long.

12 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

I liked the Grand Touring we used to have. People used to kid me about it being an old man's sled and compared it to riding a couch. They said it was too long to maneuver on the trails. Now you see one up sleds just as long.

Times have changed 02. :-). With the longer track steering effort is slightly more then 121, but the extra traction and floation more then make up for it. The air suspension makes adjustment a breeze and I like how it is easy to adjust weight transfer on the r-motion, just turn the blocks.

This expedition and titan look huge with the 20 inch wide tracks. But that's cool.

I bought the trail rocket last year.

Wife is hinting she might want to get back into it but as a passager. Maybe a 2nd machine in my future

Who knows what the future holds  

5 hours ago, Spiderman said:

Sleds have been in our family since before I was born - 41 years ago - my parents are 70 and are both on new iron.

My current sled is a 2012 and it is by far the longest I have ever kept a sled - it went less than a whole 100 miles this year.

I am presently stuck in the cycle of kids sports eating 99% of any free time one might ever have - but I wouldn't trade that for anything, I coach and it's really a lot of fun for me.

Global warming is real - if you don't believe that - you need help. We have had property in Huntsville since 1979 and I have watched that change- if it's a cycle, then it's a very very very long cycle and I would love for it to start turning back to how winters used to be there, cause they are nothing like they used to be - at all.

My only hope is there is trails left to ride once the sporting world spits my kids back out and they want to spend time doing other things. Both my kids have sleds - a 120 and a 340 - and very little time to ride, but when they do, smiles for miles!

Keep on sledding, stay safe folks

The future is family.  No family, no future for this sport.

5 hours ago, 02Sled said:

I ride the couch and I don't care what they say about it. As a matter

of fact, I am a grandfather of five. Four girls and one

boy. I went riding with the couch with my wife, youngest son, nephew and his girlfriend. After the ride they were all in. I did another ride that day the same length.

On March 17, 2017 at 8:22 AM, Sledguy74 said:

My passion for snowmobiling started in 1977 when I was a toddler out with my dad and will continue for the rest of my life.

There was a time when everyone thought paying $10,000 for a sled was too much now its up to $20,000. Some of is will see $30,000 sleds some day............looks at SxS's. On a side note who ever would have imagined a new GMC Denali Duramax crew cab or Ford Superduty Powerstroke would be almost $90,000 + HST.

I remember riding Golden Triangle trails BEFORE there ever was an OFSC and those permits were $20 and grooming was all done my Skidoo Alpines and club maps were photocopied 8.5 x 11 sheets.

I too am fortunate to be able to afford to trade when I want too. But my love of this sport motivated me to build a career that allows me the luxury of enjoying it.

The weather is disappointing, trails closing is disappointing, the amount of miles I ride these days is disappointing, OFSC issues are also disappointing but I wont quit...........never !!

I Anint no quitter!! Lol 

i agree totally with this post!!

On 3/23/2017 at 9:41 AM, soupkids said:

This is starting to sound like freedomsledder.

Yup 

Time to tone it down a touch

On 2017-03-16 at 9:38 PM, signfan said:

Trailering is becoming a new norm.  I think the other thing you have to be is flexible.  When it snows get out and ride.  Despite having an odd winter there is still rideable trails this week in Ontario.  You have to make the time for the sport.  If you can get away mid week it opens up lots of additional riding opportunities.

I agree $20,000 is crazy for a snowmobile.  It's not every sled though.  Just for a big Yamaha that I wouldn't want anyways.

As for the trails I think the clubs and districts need to re-evaluate where the trails are located.  It's silly that we are still crossing and getting groomers stuck in the same swamp that we have been fighting for 20 plus years.  Yes there are areas where the swamps are unavoidable, but in many instances  there are better options that require a higher level view of what the priorities need to be.  Hopefully with the changes coming in the districts previous lessons learned and best practices can be shared and implemented across all clubs in the district.  Planning and foresight can lead to better more reliable trails despite changing weather.  I'd look at district six as a good example of these ideas being put to work and their trails show it.

There's no way I'll be convinced that the sport is dying.  ATVing doesn't even come close to comparing to sledding.  We just need some new out of the box thinking.  We need to find a cheap way to make snow and should also probably look at adding tillers to the drags so a studded groomer can make an ice packed trail rideable after we get a big melt and the subsequent freeze up.  The snow base didn't disappear overnight in the Haliburton Highlands and Muskoks this February.  It just froze rock hard and became unrideable with creeks and swamps opening up.  The ski resorts are still open today.  What can our sport learn from their operations?

This is one of the most insightful threads I have read here. When I want to add my thoughts someone is already there. 

I can justify my Sidewinder purchase despite agreeing with almost everything said on this thread. I kept my Apex for 8 years and my brother now rides it.  I think I can ride this incredible piece of technology for 8 years.  now the ROI makes sense. 

16 hours ago, GrizzlyGriff said:

I can justify my Sidewinder purchase despite agreeing with almost everything said on this thread. I kept my Apex for 8 years and my brother now rides it.  I think I can ride this incredible piece of technology for 8 years.  now the ROI makes sense. 

Even four years makes sense and you still get a good resale value and can get something new. If you keep it for 8 years, really have to dig deep to replace it.

5 hours ago, Viperules700 said:

Even four years makes sense and you still get a good resale value and can get something new. If you keep it for 8 years, really have to dig deep to replace it.

It all depends on what you are doing.

I have 2 sleds

In my case I keep a sled about 10 yrs, while replacing it every 5-6 years

one sled #1 becomes #2 with way less use it does make sense for me at least.

Currently sled #1 has about 3500 miles on it (2016 Model), sled 2 has about 8000 miles (2010)

Sled 2 has only had about 1000 miles put on it since it became # 2

Lol on trying to justify sled purchases. 

Enjoy them boys.  Like the visa ad says some things you just can't put a price on on a smile. 

17 minutes ago, ArcticCrusher said:

Lol on trying to justify sled purchases. 

Enjoy them boys.  Like the visa ad says some things you just can't put a price on on a smile. 

This is true. Hopefully the winters improve so we can ride for 3 months, like a normal Canadian winter :-)

I ride a $20,000 sled,it's like spending $10,000 8 to 10 years ago it is pocket change,i do not miss the money,but the smile i get every time i hit the loud handle is worth it.

15 hours ago, Dufftom said:

I ride a $20,000 sled,it's like spending $10,000 8 to 10 years ago it is pocket change,i do not miss the money,but the smile i get every time i hit the loud handle is worth it.

I wish I was making 50 percent more today wage wise, not happening. Actually making less, when you factor inflation. What can you do, only something's  you can control. Have to do more today for less, seems to be the model. If sleds get too pricey and the middle income bracket, can't afford them anymore, we are doomed. It is mostly retiree's, younger riders (living at home and middle class with family's out on sleds). Not many super rich, people riding around. My brother in law, makes insane money and I can't convince him to buy a sled yet, lives in Toronto. He loves the sport, so hopefully once my nephew get's a little older, he will invest in one and not just borrow mine :-).

On 3/29/2017 at 7:58 PM, Viperules700 said:

This is true. Hopefully the winters improve so we can ride for 3 months, like a normal Canadian winter :-)

Well as much as this winter sucked, it would not have made much difference for me as work comes first unfortunately.  Hope they (winters) improve as well.

16 hours ago, Dufftom said:

As long as there is snow and I am able, I won't be packing it in.

32 minutes ago, Viperules700 said:

I wish I was making 50 percent more today wage wise, not happening. Actually making less, when you factor inflation. What can you do, only something's  you can control. Have to do more today for less, seems to be the model. If sleds get too pricey and the middle income bracket, can't afford them anymore, we are doomed. It is mostly retiree's, younger riders (living at home and middle class with family's out on sleds). Not many super rich, people riding around. My brother in law, makes insane money and I can't convince him to buy a sled yet, lives in Toronto. He loves the sport, so hopefully once my nephew get's a little older, he will invest in one and not just borrow mine :-).

Most of my friends do fairly well financially, but will not get into sleds or powersports of any kind, its just the way it is.  I never really cared prior to getting our place in Parry Sound.  Now my wife says she can't find my off switch.  Lol.

Guys with money tend to be cheap buggers.

Most of my friends are financially stable and could easily afford whatever hobby they choose. Most of them however have little or no interest in snowmobiling. My sense is that they may be in the same mind set as I once was. I didn't have any inclination to be a snowmobiler. A friend who was and lived year round in Port Severn kept telling me I needed to give it a try. We were visiting one January weekend when he convinced me to go for a "quick" ride on one of their sleds. Our wives stayed behind to share a bottle of wine. That "quick" trip turned into almost 7 hours. I was hooked. Two weeks later we had our first sled.

Perhaps a significant part of the challenge of growing the sport is simply getting them out to try it. From the outside looking in the concept of trying the sport is daunting. The sled, trailer, clothing, helmet. Then I will bet that those not in the sport haven't the slightest idea of the amount of trails available and where they are. I used to think you had to travel to the middle of nowhere and go around a small area. If you don't have a friend informing and urging you to try it, you may never know what you are missing. After all the vast majority of media promotion I see is aimed at those who have already drank the Kool-Aid

Now that I am hooked I will not be giving up as long as I am capable of riding.

40 minutes ago, 02Sled said:

Most of my friends are financially stable and could easily afford whatever hobby they choose. Most of them however have little or no interest in snowmobiling. My sense is that they may be in the same mind set as I once was. I didn't have any inclination to be a snowmobiler. A friend who was and lived year round in Port Severn kept telling me I needed to give it a try. We were visiting one January weekend when he convinced me to go for a "quick" ride on one of their sleds. Our wives stayed behind to share a bottle of wine. That "quick" trip turned into almost 7 hours. I was hooked. Two weeks later we had our first sled.

Perhaps a significant part of the challenge of growing the sport is simply getting them out to try it. From the outside looking in the concept of trying the sport is daunting. The sled, trailer, clothing, helmet. Then I will bet that those not in the sport haven't the slightest idea of the amount of trails available and where they are. I used to think you had to travel to the middle of nowhere and go around a small area. If you don't have a friend informing and urging you to try it, you may never know what you are missing. After all the vast majority of media promotion I see is aimed at those who have already drank the Kool-Aid

Now that I am hooked I will not be giving up as long as I am capable of riding.

I am sure that is true for many.  I have taken friends and workers out on the sleds and while they absolutely loved it, they won't be buying anytime soon.  No place for them to store them, the thought of trailering does not sound appealing, but most importantly if their significant other is not interested then that pretty much puts the kabosh on their plans.

Archived